Is it hard to get a long term residency visa?

Hello everyone,

I am a U.S. citizen interested in taking a long sabbatical to Macedonia.  Macedonia seems to offer an amazing combination of low cost living and safety.  That along with the natural beauty, culture, cuisine and friendly people have me zeroing in on this country as an ideal location to hang out with my wife and dogs for the next several years.  I will have a passive income, so I won't be looking for work.  I realize it will be pretty dead during the winter months, but we are currently leaning toward renting a place in or near Ohrid. 

My primary question is if it is difficult to obtain a long term visa for my intent of basically retirement?  I have no criminal record and can show financial records that support the notion that I can comfortably afford to live in Macedonia without working.

I would welcome any other comments or advice.  Thanks in advance for any replies.

David

I have a temporary residence visa provided by my job here and yes, it is very difficult and frustrating to navigate the visa process.  My original visa was denied because the officials didn't like the wording from my local police that I didn't have pending criminal charges against me. I don't know how people do it on their own if they don't have an employer here or know someone to help them.  It is a beautiful country with many wonderful people, but as a long term place to live, I would choose elsewhere.  My advice would be to come and rent an apartment for 3 months on a tourist visa and see if this is a place you'd like to settle. Then go from there.