Safety in Portugal

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Portugal?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Portugal and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I treat safety as I would in any European country; I wouldn't walk down unlit streets at night, lock doors etc. but I don't feel particularly threatened and haven't personally encountered any crimes in the couple of years we've lived near the Silver Coast nor have I heard any stories from friends.  However, I am aware of the 'motorway' crimes and am aware of vans that block your view of your car at service stations so you can't watch it from the window and similar stuff (we have been victims in Spain so are hyper aware of all these motorway scams).  Neighbours have also told me of another neighbour he'd seen checking car doors to see if any were unlocked, this was at our other house a few hours inland in a small village, but obviously this goes on everywhere.  I feel fairly safe in Portugal but I also take the same precautions to safety that I would anywhere as there is not a country in the world that doesn't have a criminal element.

I think I feel safe. People are so good.

Except for the thieves it is safe.

I would say Oporto is safer than Lisbon. In Lisbon, I was trapped in a táxi with driver who screamed at me for twenty minutes, because I asked him about how much he thought the trip would cost me. He was quite abusive, and I was very frightened until I got out of his cab. I was told that if I would report him to the police that I would get no satisfaction. Therefore, buyer beware! Also, there is much more in the way of violence in Lisbon generally speaking. It's not that safe to walk alone at night.

Oporto, where I have been living for the past ten years is basically safe. Be careful around Sau Bento, the major train station. The gypsies hang out there, and try to steal. I had one try to grab my pocketbook, and I screamed at her. It was not a very good experience.

So far, organizations like ISIS have not arrived yet, but I'm sure they are working on coming here. I think it is safer here than most places when it comes to terrorismo for sure,  but I don't feel safe driving here. The Portuguese have no respect for driving rules or  other drivers. They are so bad that I don't drive here, and I used to drive in Manhatten all the time. Well that is my opinion about Portugal in terms of safety.

I live in Lisbon and I feel safe here. I walk alone  a lot mainly during the day and never had any problems. I wouldn't walk alone late at night but then I wouldn't anywhere. I think it's safer than many places I have lived in.

I agree, but I too would not walk alone in Lisbon at night. I have walked alone in Oporto at night. I think it's a bit safer here.

P.S. I only speak for Pico island, Azores. I have not even been to continental Portugal yet.

At least in Lisbon, even the tap drinking water is safe! (even from the public street faucets)

Nonetheless, Portugal has a surprising (for such a small country) multitude of types of bottled water!

Mike G.

I drink tap water everywhere in Portugal, from north to south, and I have never had a problem. We have well water in our Quinta (farm), and it is the best. We have had it tested and we continue to do so periodically, and there is no problem. It is far safer to drink the well water than the lousey bottled water packed in plastic.