New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mexico forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mexico if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here – 2nd quarter of 2015 continues below!

Hello to all, My name is Jose I'm new to the forum. first of all, I am Mexican-American been living in Cancun for a bit more than a year and since I work from home I do not have the chance to meet new people and make new friends. I hope to make a few friends in here to hang out, visit the ruins, networking or whatever. I'm open to anything! take care everyone.

Hi, I'm Julie. My kids are grown, I sold everything and moved to Mexico. I"m teaching English in Queretaro and loving my new, simple life.

Hello everyone. My name is Gary. I joined this site a few years ago looking for a job to remain in Cancun. After 5 years I am still here and now have an opportunity to do the same for someone else.  details. ***
Thanks in advance guys, enjoy your day.
Gary

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.Drop an advert in the Primary teaching job offers in Mexico section section

helo admin.am shantal afemale ugandan and would to work in mexico

Hello Shantal, Are you in Mexico now? what brings you to Mexico?

Hi EVeryone,

My name is Alfred Chan, I am from tiny little island in South East Asia Singapore.
I had been posted to many countries, my last posting was in Moscow Russia.
My boss came to me one day and ask if I would like to take up the position in Mexico.

Little I knew about Mexico, only cartoon show Speedy Gonzales Arriba Arriba. I arrived
via LA Tom Bradley Airport and transfer to another flight to Hermosillo, Sonora capital
city of Sonora. Arrived Jan 02 just after New Year 1999, cooling it was still winter but not
that cold like Russia.

My company packed up and relocated to mainland China in 2003, which I didn't feel like going rather
stay put here. Met my wife here and we started our own trading company and set up an manufacturing
facility in China for LED lighting.

We love to meet up new friend from all over the world.

Cheer
Alfred Chan

Hello, our family just moved to Mexico City for my husbands job. Just getting settled, waiting for our furniture to arrive and getting our 3 kids registered in school.

Looking forward to meeting some new friends and getting lots of great advice!

Hello;
We are from sunny, hot South Carolina.  My husband is retired Air Force.  I am a nurse and Assisted Living Community Executive Director. We are coming to Cozumel in late Oct-Nov.  We  are flying in so we can spend all of our time on the island.  I have been to Cozumel 3 times--cruises.

We look forward to really finding out if we can afford this change.  Our children are all grown up, educated, and out of the house , We have 2 dogs and a cockatoo!  Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

I am a decorated US Navy vet, thinking of moving to Cancun, living on my disability pension and some savings.  Feel free to call me at five oh three five oh one seven six eight three. Let's swap stories.

Hello everybody! Mexico has always been my dream country and now it seems to be coming true... I will come from Prague, apparently the most beautiful city in Europe, where I work as a tour guide and even run a small tour guiding agency. I am excited about Mexico, however, I panic a bit too as the accommodation I have been dealing about seems rather unreliable. If there is someone who could advise me where to look, which internet sites or groups, I would be most grateful! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Hello Martina, Where in Mexico are you moving to? I live in Cancun, I use vivaanuncios.com to find housing in the area, also craigslist has some good offers some time. Let me know if I can help you further and good luck when coming to Mexico, it's a great country to live in.

Hello Joseporelmundo, thank you so much for your reply! Im moving to Cancun too! Im sure Mexico is a great country! Hopefully I will find a place to stay soon so that I can come for sure! :-)

Cancun is a wonderful city, many places to see and visit. There are many housing areas in Cancun, depending on you budget, your needs and where you will be working. Also very important knowing Spanish will help a lot when it comes to house hunting.

:) Thank you and look forward to learning more about this site and the people who using it. I have been coming to Cancun for the last 27 years and know I live in here as well as the great state of Colorado. I would love to learn Spanish and meeting people who love to outdoors.

DonLee

Hello Everyone,
I am not in Mexico yet but willing to come! Got few reasons:
1. I have a girlfriend Mexicana and we are going to get married ;)
2. I love Mexico, its culute and people
3. I wish to live in warm climate!!  :cool:

I am really interested in working and living in Mexico, I would love to be a citizen of it in the future.
If anybody can hire me I will be a perfect worker! :) In Russia I have few works to survive, si many things I know how to do and still willing to learn more!

Thank you Gary! I would like to be in touch with you. My husband and I are headed to Playa del Carmen in Feb to look at real estate. We are early 50's and ready to make this transition. We have done extensive travel troughout Mexico and the Caribbean. I would love to start a dialogue with you.

I have been living in Mexico for 28 months now, mostly in Ensenada. But I have also lived in other parts and completely travelled around the country, so I know it, the culture, language and different regions. Considering that I am only 2 hours from San Diego, my rent is incredibly cheap. I pay $150 for 1bdm that includes wifi and cable TV as well furniture. You just cannot beat it anywhere I don't care if you went to Ecuador or wherever. I do not live in an American enclave; and expats really ought to explain just what that is and why you have to decide between that and living in a normal Mexican colonia and barrio...(district, neighborhood)

Lake Chapala is enclave, here we have Punta Banda that is where Americans congregate into a community that is essentially a US island culturally surrounded by Mexico. That is the truth. A lot folks who really want to remain American and speak English choose that route. The other is to jump with both feet into Mexico as I have done. I live in a regular neighborhood and do not even see other Americans. But this only works if you speak Spanish. Not nearly as many Mexicans speak english as you might imagine.

Those really are your bottom-line expat choices. I don't experience culture shock anymore have not for a long time since I've been living in CA or AZ most of my life. I strongly advise anyone contemplating the move to learn Spanish and Mexican customs and some laws. Do not assume anything because if you try to apply US ways of thinking, laws and customs, you will run into walls and get upset. Respect the Mexicans and their ways or go back home, serously. I won't even listen to an expat who cranks up his or her complaint machine. Complaining is just counter-productive.

Adjust, adapt, slow-down and relax. Oh, and don't expect everyone to have the same obsession with being to the minute on time, they won't be quite often....

Hi I don't live in Mexico as still working in the states but go to the Cancun area three times a year and have since l990. Will plan to retire there, Know Centro well and the folks there and speak Spanish.  Centro Cancun is a little iffy right now due to a huge influx of those from Central America but if you live in a nice area still doable.

Hi Paty,
If by centro you mean the crucero area by Plaza las tiendas, yes the amount of immigrants and crime (not related to each other lets make that clear) makes it less than a desirable area, rent is cheap but at what cost. Cancun has plenty of nice areas to live and centro around tulum-Uxmal area is very nice and close to everything. In my opinion south of the city around Las Torres road is the best area in Cancun if you live here.

I've been living in the city for almost 2 years now.

Hello Boomermgm and others:

I am 61, partially retired and thinking of Playa del Carmen as a 4-month yearly stay.   Daughter is now in college so the empty nest syndrome has hit hard!
I have been to PV as well and it is great.   But I will be exploring Playa next year this time around.   Can you or anyone out there recommend good expat or partial-retirement communities I may get involved with?    I am interested in renting with other retirees, both singles and couples.   I, myself, am single so the journey can be a bit harder.  Thanks!
Arlene from Seattle

Hello all:
My Name is Cedric a. McMillan. I am a retired Dentist from the USA. I was born in England and grew up in New York. I practiced Dentistry in London, Paris and New York.
Four years ago I  was invited to give a Presentation to a Group of Dentists in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico.
The next day,as I walked around the City, I had a nice feeling about the people, and thought to myself that I could retire and leave here peacefully among the inhabitants.
I returned to the US and told my partners that I am resigning from the company , as I would like to retire.
They asked me where  would I retire to. I said San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. They laughed at me and ridiculed me. They thought that I lost my mind since I spoke no Spanish. I knew no one here and I probably would be the only Negrito in San Miguel. I was not phased.
Two weeks later I came to San Miguel with two suitcases. My Life's possession. I found nice big house and rented it.
I spent my time going to the Centro, meeting other Gringos and spending hours at Starbucks.
One evening, as I was walking home (I live very close to the Centro), I saw an elderly man trying to extract his own tooth. I asked him what was he doing. He retorted, " Tengo Dolor Senor. No hay Dinero". It tore my heart. I took him across the street to a Pharmacy and bought him Medication and asked him to meet me at that spot the next day at 10:00am.
He was already there when i arrived. I took him to a Dentist . She extracted the tooth.  I paid the Doctors Bill and we shook hands . Then he departed.
It was ayt that moment my life changed. I decided to do something here to help the people.
I founded an Association Civil by the name of . DentalMex Plan, A.C.
I hired 12 Dentists in San Miguel de Allende and paid them $125.00 Pesos per patient to do their Preventive treatment, whether they saw the patient or not. I sold a Dental Plan to Companies in order to pay the Dentists and Rent for the Association.
The Dentist were doing such bad Treatment that I decided to Fire all of them and open my Own Clinic.
Now, I am not only treating patients who do not have resources to pay but also patients with the ability to pay for their care.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum + avoid doing any form of advertising for your clinic please

I like living in or around CancunCentro but in a good area.  I don't know any thing about expats as all my friends are Mexican and I  am usually always with them when in Mexico.  I would urge everyone to develop Mexican friends.  They will tell you what the score is and how to bet the best buy for your dollar.  I tend to get very tan and have been told when asked directions on the street that I speak good English.   This is by tourists that are searching for some where.  I tell them yes because I am a lawyer from Connecticut..   Developing friends is really important  if you are going to relocate.

Cedric-
You are an amazing man and a wonderful humanitarian!    You will never be lonely or without friends in Mexico.   Thank you so much for all you do.

:| if you are an ExPat, living in Mexico,  its most likely that you are challenged with the Spanish Language.
When visiting your new Dentist or Medical Doctor, it is important that you understand clearly your Dignosis and course of treatment.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : no free ads please

You are very Kind. Thank you so much.

OK. I understand. Thank you

Hello, I am currently in PA, USA. My wife and I are thinking about moving to Acapulco. We have three young kids and a lot of questions.

Hi i've been living for a while in Mex city, with my wife, id like to meet new ppl cuz most of my friends are leaving the city. We are a young married couple who likes to hang out with friends and to travel around the city. I work in a bank in reforma if someone wants to have lunch or anything nearby pls contact me. Thanks!

its a pity you are not in San Miguel de Allende. I certainly would have taken you up on this offer.

Hi Martina What City Are you moving to?  Ive lived all over Mexico.  Ive also visited  Czech Republic Prag  nice place.

Come visit us in Beautiful San Miguel de Allende
San Miguel de Allende was voted in 2014 by the international Magazine Conde Nast Traveler as the Best City in the world and it is living up to its reputation.
With an ExPat Population of Plus or Minus 12%, our presence is felt. We are  the Baby Boomers! and most of us live on a Pension which we could not live on  in the USA, but here, in San Miguel, most of us could afford to rent a nice house, hire a Maid, eat out regularly  and more.......
The cost of living is cheap. A taxi ride to most ´places is $35.00Pesos about  $2.00.USD. Fresh Fruits and vegetables are very inexpensive. Restaurants abound and of course there are many coffee hot spots , such as, Starbucks, Italian Cafe, Monet.etc.
Medical and Dental care is very in expensive.
I just happen to be the Owner of a State of the Art Dental Clinic here and  my fees here are 20% of  my general fees in the USA, for example , a crown in my office in  USA starts at around $1500.00 USD;  here it starts in my clinic at around $350.00USD so health care is a bargain here.
In deed,there are Good Professionals and  there is a limited few who are  not so good, so you must be very selective when choosing a Health care professional and in particular a Dentist.
Make an appointment, go to their  office and ask them to show you around before starting any invasive treatment on you. Ask them how they sterilize their  Instruments.
For proper sterilization one must use an Autoclave, so if the practice does not have one, please walk away. Its like  they are killing Bacteria with a Hammer. Walk away, Please. Your Health is important.
Most of you do not speak Spanish, but you can find a few English Speaking professionals here, so always ask if they speak English. It is important that you always understand clearly and correctly  your Diagnostic and your course of treatment.

Thank you.

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal details + no free advertising on the forum pls

Hi Guys,

Fair Reminder :

Please keep in mind that this thread is about new members writing an introduction about themselves and talk a bit about their Expat path or short experiences

If you are looking for work | accommodation we do have designated sections here :

- Jobs in Mexico
- Housing in Mexico

If you do have any questions then we will suggest you to start a new topic on your own on the Mexico Forum for better interactions :)

Members advertising their services on the Forum will have their post moderated and we do not recommend advertisement using the private message based on our MEXICO FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT

If you want to chat - please do it in private and not on this thread otherwise you will be off topic :)

Last thing : avoid posting your personal details for safety reasons please :)

Thank you for your understanding :)

Have a great day

Maximilien

Hello
I am an artist and traveler from San Diego, Ca. relocating to either Guanajuato or San Miguel.
I plan to be there and check out housing around Thanksgiving. I have been to Mexico several times and love it but have never visited this area.  Would love to hear from other expats.

San Miguel is a Great place to live. In 2014 it was named the BEST CITY in the world by the International Magazine, Conde Nast Traveller.
I came here 4.5 Years ago to do a Presentation to a group of Dentist, and I when i woke up the next day, so impressed was I with the city that I went back to the US, retired, and came back here to live.
My partners though I was crazy moving to Mexico, but I have never regretted making the move.
I am loving it here.
Regards
Dr. McMillan

Thank you. I can't wait to see the area. Will there be local papers in English so maybe I can meet some expats?
As of right now I know only a little Spanish but have Pimsleur CDs.

Hello everyone. My name is Kimberly from Vancouver, Canada. My daughter, Christina, a college student in Montreal,  just informed me that she is moving to San Miguel for continuing. her education with or without me. I have been in Mexico few times in my life for vacation and know very little about living there. I was nervous about the idea of sending her there alone and tried to convince her to pick other city in Canada but only to realized this new adventure she had planed was for me. Taking me away from Vancouver and settling me to a place where it would be much less stress and suitable for my character, according to my dearest daughter. Make a long story short, I have quit a good job and organize my financial, personal belongings in order, getting ready to move to San Miguel. It is nerve racking thought. I have never been there and I don't know anyone there either. The most crazy thing is that I am not scared.  For the first time in my life i don't care even if its crazy idea as many people, the friends and the family, mentioned.

Hi Dr. Williams, I hope to meet you when we are there in San Miguel. We are going to find a family doctor and perhaps some advices.... Thanks

I am sorry for misspelled your name doctor McMillan

Hi everyone,

My name is Lilia and I am currently living in the London, England. I have travelled the world but my next step is to find a job in Mexico and settle there for a while. Drop me a line if you want to discuss :)

Closed