Polish cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Poland?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Poland and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Pierogi z mięsem - pierogi with meat.
Actually there's no English word for 'pierogi'. Dumplings or ravioli do not really mean the same food. And never buy 'pierogi z mięsem' in a supermarket. They contain only 6% meat and taste badly. Order them in a good restaurant (or from your Polish landlady) and enjoy the taste.

Polish soups are quite good + original (zurek, barszcz czerwony, flaki). Also tatar is tasty, especially after drinking a few beers.

Avoid the rest, as it's quite fatty and mostly made for cold Winter days, like bigos, golonka...

You do not know much about Polish cuisine if you say "the rest" including all you can have apart of golonka and bigos.

First of all, bigos shouldn't be fat, however, one has to like cabbage. If you like cabbage, I would recommend "gołąbki", a cabbage roll consisting of cooked cabbage leaves wrapped around a variety of fillings, usually rise mixed with meat.

Golonka, yes it is fat, although a good restaurant is serving it very crispy...not my favorite however.

But what about fish then? Cod is a very present in Polish cuisine next to various sweet-water fish (carp,Trout: sometimes served flambé, with cognac or other liqueur, zander), so is crayfish.

Turkey, duck, goose, chicken and guinea fowl are known and appreciated in Polish cuisine for centuries. A good polish restaurant must also have game (hare, wild boar, pheasant) and many types of groats (e.g.buckwheat). This latter is incredibly healthy having lots of fiber.

Pierogi, bigos are well known as a Polish cuisine these are however only two dishes. We have more and only after tasting them, you can say how they are.

Thanks for explaining! I tried all these, actually, and more than once :)

PL cuisine is not especially impressive/original/tasty to me, like I mentioned, apart from some of the soups. Of course, all depends on one's taste!

Trout (pstrag) is good, I agree. But I do not consider this a typical PL dish, which is the original topic. We can find it in restaurants in many countries...

Besides, in general the taste+quality of PL fish+seafood is not really near the seafood in e.g. my country/other countries! Maybe closer to the seaside (Gdansk?) it's different+better, but in Warsaw/Cracow certainly not :)

true that I am coming from Gdansk and I am sure that in your country everything is wonderful.

The only point I was making was, that you have a vast variety of dishes (especially game) that is truly Polish tradition.

Also, just because other countries know trout, doesn't mean that it is not a traditional Polish dish. In this way not of the dishes are traditional to any country as there is always another serving that as well.

I certainly explained more about traditional dishes keeping to the topic then you.

Also to say: "avoid that" is different to "I do not like it", don't you agree?

I for example like for breakfast scrambled eggs.

Scrambled eggs with chanterelle mushrooms — jajecznica z kurkami recipe

Ingredients in this recipe:
300 g of chanterelle mushrooms
8 eggs
some butter or olive oil (I prefer the latter)
salt and pepper to taste
chives
bread or roll
takes 30 min — makes 2 decent portions

http://www.mojegotowanie.pl/grzyby/jajecznica_z_kurkami_i_szczypiorkiem#

I agree with everybody! The pierogi are the best food which represents the Polish food! If you go to Poland you have to taste it!