Work permit for internship

Hello

I recently secured an internship in Malta for 12 months. I talked to the consular and he told me to apply for a schengen visa, I recently got news that my visa was refused, despite me having everything they asked for. The consular said there is no reason they should have denied it but that  I need to apply for a work permit in Malta. Has anyone else gone through the same thing or can offer some advice about this?

the company employing you needs to apply for a work permit for you

did they say why they refused your visa application ?
How long have you been in Cyprus ? Because a schengen visa only allows entry to Europe for a maximum of 90 days in a 6 month period - so you'll most likely have to apply for a long term visa if your staying more than 90 days

However if you have residence status in Cyprus you shouldn't need a visa to enter Malta

Hi,

without detailed information on your present status it is very difficult to answer your question. To start with , which part of Cyprus are you actually in ? Cyprus does not belong to the Shengen area so you will definitly need a visa to come to Malta being from Zimbabwe.

To work in Malta ( paid or unpaid) you have to apply for a work permit which can be granted but does not have to be.

With a Shengen visa you can stay in the EU-Shengen area for 90 days at the most and you are not allowed to work.

So your situation depends on your present status and work permit.

Ricky

Thank you for your responses. They said that I did not justify my conditions and purposes to stay there. I am a student in Cyprus in Nicosia,so I only have a pinkslip.
Once my employer applies for a work permit for me, do I still need to get a schengen visa?

You will have to apply for a long-term schengen visa ( class d) as you intend to stay for longer than 90 days.

AS your internship is unpaid you will have to show that you have the financial funds to stay in Malta and also have a return plane ticket. Adequate funds woould be around 50 €/ day.

What is a pink slip ...or rather what does it mean in terms of visas?

Cheers
Ricky

The consular suggests that I appeal the decision made....whilst the employer arranges a work permit. Is there a different way for applying for one or its the same and the embassy decides? Sorry for the thousand questions, might you know how long it takes for a permit to come out?

A pink slip is a student or study permit

An appeal of the decision only makes sense if you can give new reasons and fact to base the decision on and it is not clear why your application was turned down. Do you have the funds to back your stay?  What are you studying and for how long have you been studying.

It is not that easy to get a work permit. It has to go through the European job agency. The employer has to show and prove that he tried to find applicants from Malta and the other European countries which can be quite a hassle for the employer.

If you give up your residency in Cyprus can you be sure that you can return to Cyprus again?

Cheers
Ricky

Would it help if the internship was shortened to 6 months?
Yes I do, I received an erasmus Grant and also provided bank statements with extra funds.
I'm planning on calling the embassy on Monday  and finding out where I went wrong. And hopefully finding out about the long stay visa.

Well...I was not going back to Cyprus. This internship is a graduate program, so my ticket actually had a return flight to my home country.

Whether 6 or 12 months will not make a difference for the work permit . The maximum length  for a work permit for a TCN is 12 months anyway. It sounds as if you are thinking along the 'studying' line while technically it is about a work permit for a third-country national. I doubt if they will give you a work permit for 'unpaid' work.

You really need to find out why your visa application was turned down. A 'normal' Schengen visa is never for longer than 3 months! Maybe that is the problem. A long -term national visa (D) is with a work permit or other legitimate reasons to stay longer.

Let me know what the outcome is.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky

Thank you very much for your help. I called the embassy today and he they are just a middle man and I should appeal. Erasmus internships are not really considered as work. A suggsuggestion was to 're apply with a shorter duration of the length of my internship. I am still trying to figure it out.

Hey Isheane did it work out for you in Malta?

ruunie641 wrote:

Hey Isheane did it work out for you in Malta?

You are referring to a post from 2015 and as the person in question has not participated on the Forum for the last two years you may not receive an answer.

Hi my  name is balakishore from india i want to do mba in malta after completing  mba how many years will give work permit and what is the jobs position in malta and how many years we will stay in malta for pr

Balakishore wrote:

Hi my  name is balakishore from india i want to do mba in malta after completing  mba how many years will give work permit and what is the jobs position in malta and how many years we will stay in malta for pr

You have already asked the same questions on a post two weeks or so ago and had a reply.