Hi Everyone!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum! I'm half-Seychellois and have been living in Seychelles for about half of my life.  I'm here to network and to help with Seychelles-related questions.  You're very welcome to ask me for my perspective on things. :D

Hello tropicalweb!

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Armand

Thanks Armand, it's great to be here. :)

HI Tropicalweb...saw your post, I'm so glad to get in touch...I am Khushbu from Chennai, India..me and my husband are planning to visit Seychelles in August this month...we are there for a short visit...I would like to know if there is a possiblity to find a host family where we can stay on budget...we are not looking at a very expensive accomodation...also I would like to know what will be the cheap accomodation in beach resorts or hotels...I would also like to know what will i spend for food per day (strictly vegetarian)... i need to plan my budget before the trip so it would be great if u can get back to me...

Please let me know about the what all is there to see and explore

Cheers!

khushbu Praneesh wrote:

HI Tropicalweb...saw your post, I'm so glad to get in touch...I am Khushbu from Chennai, India..me and my husband are planning to visit Seychelles in August this month...we are there for a short visit...I would like to know if there is a possiblity to find a host family where we can stay on budget...we are not looking at a very expensive accomodation...also I would like to know what will be the cheap accomodation in beach resorts or hotels...I would also like to know what will i spend for food per day (strictly vegetarian)... i need to plan my budget before the trip so it would be great if u can get back to me...

Please let me know about the what all is there to see and explore

Cheers!

Hi there Khushbu!

The best place to look for a host family would be couchsurfing.com (sorry mods if I'm not allowed to post a link to another site).  I know some people on there who provide free accommodation, I suppose it's more like an accommodation exchange community.

If you would like to try a self-catering place, there are lots to choose from.  Check out seychelles.travel/en/plan_your_visit/accommodation.php they are all registered/verified small businesses.  The self-catering accommodations cost about 50-80 or so Euros per day which is considered quite cheap here in Seychelles, not sure if that budget is what you had in mind.  If you speak to the owners directly, then you might be able to negotiate a good price.

A cheap hotel would cost about $100-$200 or so I think...but with limited facilities.  But many hotels can be quite expensive.

Best places to live in is the 'Beau Vallon' area where there are lots of tourists and most of the time you are right next to the beach.  But if you will be renting a car, then you shouldn't have a problem.

The advantage with hotels though, is that they will do everything for you and they usually have restaurants at the same location or nearby.

If you're going to cook your own vegetarian meal then it shouldn't cost a lot per day because meat is what's expensive here.  For example, a kilo of potatoes is about $1.20, vegetables cost the same depending on quantity.

Small cars costs about $50-$60 or more per day, but if you're renting for a few weeks you might be able to get them to bring it down to $35-$40 per day.

Feel free to ask me more questions.  Cheers. :)

Hey Tropical web..thanks for your instant reply..am so glad you could tell me so much..let me look into all the links you suggested and get some info...please don't mind as I am going to be shooting a lot of questions your way..would love to meet you, while in Sychelles...

I'll browse and get back soon :)

No problem Khushbu! :)

Hello tropicalweb:)

It's a pleasure to find somebody who can advise us a little bit =) I'm gonna to move in Seychelles in 2 months for a job, concretely in Praslin, so I have a full of questions:rolleyes: It's difficult to find there an accommodation? Can you refer me some web pages where to search? Where do you exactelly live there?
Hope to reed you soon.
Katerina:cool:

Hi Katerina! :)

I live on Mahe island, but I do go to Praslin to visit some friends once in a while.  I don't think you'll have problems finding accommodation on Praslin.  I actually find it quite odd that your employer has not made arrangements for accommodation.

The official website for Seychelles is www.seychelles.travel, all companies & services advertised on that site are registered.  Although if you're looking for something more long term (6months+) then you might want to rent a house or an apartment.

Please let me know what you have in mind and I will ask my friends there to help me search for a nice one and then we'll give you the direct contact of the person renting it.  Another friend of mine who lives there is an expatriate who is renting an apartment.  He might know people who are willing to rent out to expats.

Cheers.

Hi tropicalweb

Thanx for your reply.

In fact, my boss spoke me about the accommodation on Seychelles, but I think I'll see with him directly on place when I arrive there. For a start I have a possibility to stay on the boat, because I will work there for a charter company, but I'll certainly need something else for a long term period. Thus I already wanted to begin to inquire.

Hope to have an opportunity to meet you in Praslin one day.

Have a nice day
Katerina

Hello Tropicalweb,
me n my family with our infant are planning to move to seychelles as i have got a job in one of the hotel in mahe. Can anyone please tell me the daily expense for a family of two with infant. Any approximate figures or if you have any idea about indian food items especially. How about monthly internet and television cost.
Rgds,
Monty Singh

Hi monty83,

It's hard to properly estimate at this point because expenditures vary largely depending on individuals and families.  I don't really know what "Indian food items" would consist of (can you specify?).

A few examples of the price of things here:
- 1Kg of potatoes: SCR14
- 1 loaf of bread: SCR11
- 1KG of basmati rice: SCR14
- 1 bar of hand soap: SCR8

- 1 pkt of paratha (5 inside) costs about SCR30-40

Wave goodbye to the good Indian sweets like burfee because unless you can make them they don't sell them here. :( Some ingredients can also be quite difficult to find.

Internet - depends on your service provider.  If you need a basic connection (speeds here are quite slow) I suggest you go for Intelvision for a fixed price package.  I'm paying about Rs.600 (USD45) per month for unlimited downloads.  If you go with Cable & Wireless they will charge you per GB downloads.  That might amount to a lot of money if you do not control how much you surf the web.

Television is free if you opt for antenna (2 channels: SBC and TV5 Afrique).  If you're interested in cable TV, you'll have to pay about Rs.700 (USD50) per month for a good number of channels.

thanks for the reply it is the great help to us.

@tropicalweb(1) Am a citizen of benin republic and am planning to come to seychelles to work and reside,what are the documents needed for me into your country?.  (2) I would like to know the rate of change of your currency to a dollar? (3) How do I apply for a work permit? (4) Requirements for GOP?(5) How can i get accommodation,not hotels but private apartment like 1 bedroom or 2 or hostel if any? and finally, (6) Any other information i need to know. thanks.

Hi jobioluwa, I'll reply to your private message.

hi

Hello CVCV and welcome to Exspat Blog!

Can you please introduce yourself? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi

I am gainfully emplyed as an engineer in Seychelles -- what abt you

rgds
cvcv

how very kind of you! i am loooking to move there in the next few weeks/months to work at raffles. do you know anything about it? is it a good move to make? i have never been there and am worried that i wont get to meet people etc...

Raffles is located on Praslin which is a rather small island.  It might take you a while to make a lot of friends but it's possible to make friends nonetheless.  I have a good friend on Praslin, feel free to send me a private message and I can give you her contact details so she can help you around if you need it.

sjleitner wrote:

how very kind of you! i am loooking to move there in the next few weeks/months to work at raffles. do you know anything about it? is it a good move to make? i have never been there and am worried that i wont get to meet people etc...

good morning Seychelles.
hi all,

Im a Security Officer live and work in UAE want to move Seychelles
i had signed job agreement letter with reputed hotel in Mehe Island 25 days ago. And they said my GOP is on the process so can anyone tell me how to know my GOP is on process already ? and how many days more do i need to wait for GOP.

thanks

Hi there!

Thanks for being so kind and helpful! I am half-dutch and half-italian and I m thinking to move next year to the Seychelles. Besides, dutch, I also do speak french and italian fluently! I am a lawyer by training with a PhD degree in European Law. My concern is whether I can find a job there which can suit my qualifications in Law.

Your thoughts would be highly appreciated!

Cheers!
M

Hi, just  saw your post im new here actually and would love if u could advice me through pls :)

i am syrian who lives works in dubai since 12 years and ive decided to change my life style and move to and work in the seychelles but have mo clue on where to start!
Could i just fly there and look for a job or do i have to apply anywhere first?
What kinda job could i find ive always been in sales and comunicatibg with people of all types, i dont mind and decent interesting job now and what kinda salary accommodation should expect?!
Is living and working in seychelles is like a dream island and work to move to as i imagine it?
Realxed life simple people beach and sun??
Is it really worth leaving dubai despite im so bored of city life anyway!!

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

What is the salary of 10yrs experienced Civil Engineer working In Victoria,Mahe or other Seychelles..? Can Anyone help in any currency Euro or SR..? whatever pls.?

hi, happy to hear that you can help . im from mauritius and i will like to move to seychelles to stay, i would like to know if its possible for one to find a job there in hotel , thanks roe reply

Hello Team- I am new to the Forum. Am interested to learn more about Seychelles! Am visiting soon for the first time and would love to meet some good forum members for a cup of Coffee. I have lots of questions or Working, Living and doing business in Seychelles. Thanks in advance. C5