Where to buy Christmas gift/decorations with Vietnam character in HCMC

Hi everyone, I am going to celebrate my first Christmas in Saigon. Are there any shops where I can buy Christmas gift/decorations in Vietnamese style such as the traditional clothes ao dai, the Viet hat on usual Christmas decorations. I went to Hai Ba Trun but could not find anything similar. Thank you!

my friends bought a few things at the facebook page called Miss Baa. hope it helps, cheers

2000tb wrote:

Hi everyone, I am going to celebrate my first Christmas in Saigon. Are there any shops where I can buy Christmas gift/decorations in Vietnamese style such as the traditional clothes ao dai, the Viet hat on usual Christmas decorations. I went to Hai Ba Trun but could not find anything similar. Thank you!

Christmas is typically a "Christian" country holiday (i.e. celebrated in the West) and not so much in Việt Nam.  So what is "the Viet hat on usual Christmas decorations"?  There's a "Việt hat" which is the conical leaf hat (Nón lá) that's on everything because the it is symbolic and unique to Việt Nam.

This sucker:
http://123.25.71.107:82/hoidap/uploads/news/2013_01/nonla.jpg

If that's the case, you can visit any market to buy those.  For gifts and decorations, find a large book store (like Fahasa).  These guys will leech onto any possible commercialized opportunity and will even sell you crap, if it's International Crap Day.  :D

hi Tran Hung Dao, I think she is mentioning about the Christmas decoration, not only about the "conical hat". Below I copied a link from Miss Baa page for your reference. :)

conical hat on snowman

or here

Viet style snowman

thanks everyone so much. the snowman with Vietnam hat is definitely what I am looking for.

it called " non la " u can go to the market and ask,or some souvernir shop

nana91 wrote:

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

There's a "Việt hat" which is the conical leaf hat (Nón lá) that's..

:offtopic: nana91, why does your new avatar look like you got punched in the face?  https://www.expat.com/forum/img/avatars/496042.jpg?v=1385212234 That or you got constipation.  Seriously, is there something wrong that you need help with?  Your avatar kinda looks like you're crying.

I would otherwise PM you but I'm sure other Expats are wondering the same thing I am (maybe the constipation bit; not the punching in the face bit).  Your other avatar was alot better/happier.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
nana91 wrote:

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

There's a "Việt hat" which is the conical leaf hat (Nón lá) that's..

:offtopic: nana91, why does your new avatar look like you got punched in the face?  [img align=R]https://www.expat.com/forum/img/avatars/496042.jpg?v=1385212234[/url] That or you got constipation.  Seriously, is there something wrong that you need help with?  Your avatar kinda looks like you're crying.

I would otherwise PM you but I'm sure other Expats are wondering the same thing I am (maybe the constipation bit; not the punching in the face bit).  Your other avatar was alot better/happier.

lol. in fact, my emotion called " làm mặt xấu" ( make face ugly) , hot trend in vietnam, :D:D

trangmai wrote:

hi Tran Hung Dao, I think she is mentioning about the Christmas decoration, not only about the "conical hat". Below I copied a link from Miss Baa page for your reference. :)

conical hat on snowman

or here

Viet style snowman

Hi trangmai, I couldn't access facebook so please let me know the address of the shop. Thank you!

Tran Quang Dieu
    Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 084

Điện thoại    0186 346 3644
Website    http://hinworld.wix.com/missbaa
Thông tin
Let's bring Miss Baa wool craft to the parents who are looking for a special handmade gifts for their children.
Please call Miss Baa at 018 634 636 44
Mô tả
Miss Baa is retired and everyday she makes wool crafts for her nephew. Day by day her wool craft collection is getting bigger so she thought "why don't I introduce my collection to other kids and parents?". Therefore this page is set up to bring her wool craft to the parents who are looking for a special handmade gifts for their children.

--- When you want to buy any wool craft, please contact Miss Baa at
018 634 636 44 or send her a message on Miss Baa facebook page.

Free delivery in District 3 and District 1 for a total bill at 150,000 vnd. Delivery fee will be charged for other districts.

Her website is www.hinworld.wix.com/missbaa

the information is very useful. Thanks nana91!

glad to know that you found it! cheers

I bought four snowman at Miss Baa. They are really the awesome gift ever with Vietnamese hats. Thanks all for sharing the information about it!

visit china town in district 5

Christmas is typically a "Christian" country holiday (i.e. celebrated in the West) and not so much in Việt Nam.

Well, nearly six million Vietnamese Catholics may not be 'so much' but they do mark Christmas as a religious holiday, with occasional "western" Christmas trappings. Much of what passes for 'Christmas' trappings in the west, such as sprigs of holly and mistletoe, the Christmas tree, etc, have their roots in pre-Christian western traditions rather than Christianity.

You can buy it at Tan Dinh Church or Ky Dong church.

2000tb wrote:

I bought four snowman at Miss Baa. They are really the awesome gift ever with Vietnamese hats. Thanks all for sharing the information about it!

great to know that you bought your Christmas decorations, cheers

I also find a lot of souvenirs of Saigon at saigon-online.net/?p=2424. I can buy these for my friends as gifts from Saigon

Hi Keith Valentina,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

This thread is outdated " 2013 " :(

You are welcome to create a new thread on Ho Chi Minh City forum.

Thank you

Stéphanie

For Christmas decorations: you can buy at stores in Hai Thuong Lan Ong Street, near KIM BIEN MARKET but if you are foreigner, not sure you get cheap price.
You can also go to Ky Dong street, there are a big catholic church there selling Christmas gift and decoration. Good service and you do not  need to care about price.

Hi,

Hi,

Good day! I suggest PNC bookstore in vincom center, fahasa bookstore, and takashimaya mall Level 4. They have stores/home decors that are selling christmas decorations and some items with touch of vietnamese designs, but I haven't seen any that wearing aodai, still the usual character (snowman, santa clause...) but xmas tree, socks that are handmade with vietnam raw materials.