Kuwaiti cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Kuwait?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Kuwait and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

hi
I love the Arabian cuisine specially the grilled food.

I like Shawarma, Kebab, karouf, and arabic sweets.

Coming from croatia, well from Scotland originally, the choice of food is absolutely dull and tasteless. Croatian, and for that European food, is of a very domestic origin. By that, g mean it's simply something that's easily cooked up in your own kitchen.
So to travel to kuwait where the choice of food from all over the world is simply fantastic. What's more, the shops sell a fantastic array of herbs and most importantly, spices.
It's not so much a specific food that I love, it's the choice.
But pushed for a favourite, Indian who's games down for me.

My Favorite :

Chicken majboosh : basmati rice cooked in butter, saffron, raisins (kishmish), fried onions with chicken and tomato gravy (dakkhus) .. yummy .... i loved the majboosh at freej soweileh

Grilled chicken .. from any arabic restaurant .. preferably canary !

Hot Fresh Fried Falafel .. i like the ones from Kalhaa !

Arise : one and only from this famous arise restaurant in Shuwaikh, canada dry street !

Seek Kebabs : very popular from Hajja at isteqlaal

hammus :  I like it from canary and nawaara (kuwait city)

Kanafaa and its variants :  I like it from Tabaawi in hawalli

I have to say, after discovering the Copper Chimney Indian restaurant in the Avenues Souk, there is no better in Kuwait to date that betters it. Not just the food, but the service. And sitting outside in the air conditioning with the clear ceilings makes it feel your in the street. Love it. However, it aint like its not expensive. But you get what you pay for. The lamb dishes are great by the way. I think lamb is the best base for a good curry.
If you love a good Indian, as I do, then don't miss it. Word of warning, don't overdo the starters or your main meal will end up going home with you in a box.

Thanks for recommending this.

Will have to try it out.

by the way folks. I went back to the UK for a week. Went to England (hey don't blame me, the plane got lost) Anyway, the food was terrible. Everywhere we tried was terrible. Now I have not lived in the uk for 16 years. I used to love my curries.
So i decided to go to a recommended Indian. My god how bad was it. Processed chicken meat with the blandest sauce poured over it. I was thinking " is this what i used to enjoy"! bloody hell I knew no better. Are the inexperienced and less traveled in the UK eating this crap and thinking its great. The guys cooking this must be in the kitchens laughing at us. I bet they wont be eating it. We in the UK are getting conned out of our money and our taste buds.
I heard years ago that when Indians in the UK started to cook food for us we couldn't eat it as it was to "Indian". But its been bastardized so much that it now bears no resemblance to an authentic Indian curry. And i love a good authentic Indian curry. I love all Indian food. So who in Britain is to blame. I guess we have ourselves to blame.

Ha ha...

The curries in Portsmouth are very good.

The food is very good there as well.

You must of been up the North of England. Not South. (London is North to Portsmouth).

I am very well travelled also.

Believe it or not. We were staying in the new forest. And we did go to portsmouth. what's the chances. Maybe we were just unlucky every time we ate.

Oh dear, not good. Being nosey!!!. Where did you go in Pompey?.

There are some bad places, like most Countries.

we tried restaurants and pup grub in different towns every day. I think that hands down, places here and the likes of Dubai, offer better food and service. Now regarding health and hygiene controls. well, that's another thing. I do believe in Britain we have governments controls in place that have the power to walk in your establishment when they feel like it. They also have the power to shut you down on the spot. As for here, i cant comment. But to date, fingers crossed and touch wood, i have never had a single issue regarding my health while eating out.

But we are now digressing i feel, to much from the topic. So i will go full circle and say i love my Indian food and will never stop eating it. Keep up with the good food guys and stay out of Britain ha ha ha :-)