Border run to NIcaragua July 2015

I just returned from my first border run.  previously I had used my return airline ticket from my initial move down here.  This time I did not want to spend a day in flight back to USA, nor buy another ticket back here.   So I took Ticabus to Nicaragua via Guanacaste.  News flash, although it is cheaper than an airline ticket, it still takes ALL DAY.   We left San Jose at 7:30am.  Because some tica / nica woman left her wallet on the bus when everyone got out on the CR side, and it was gone when she returned, we all spent 1-2 hours extra at the border.  some younger guys got frisked.  everyone opened their carry ons for inspection.  if the wallet was stolen, the thief took the cash and tossed the wallet as it was not found.
But we did not reach the Managua bus terminal until 7:30pm or later.
The trip back was not much better.  We left at 7am.  we did not reach San Jose terminal until 6:30pm.  So it is all day travel for me via airplane to USA home, or to Managua NIcaragua via bus.  Next time I will try driving my car.  That should cut travel to the border down to 4-5 hours.  Then have to negotiate transport to San Juan del Sur or other city.

Costs for bus was less.  $54 bus vs. $650 minimum for flight.  plus at least one night in Managua at $60 inclu. breakfast at three star hotel.  Counting food, a little more.  Food is a little cheaper in Managua.  Two pollo brochetta's w/ casados plate was $6.70.  So total trip was about $200 via bus and two nights in Managua. 
Best deal was I went pharmacy shopping.  I no longer have USA health insurance and am not yet on CAJA.   I had just tried to replenish my prescriptions here in Santa Ana.  Drug costs, (generic flomax and tramadol ) were very expensive here.  But in Managua, prices were Half of what they were here in CR.   Better yet, I met a fellow expat named Steve who has lived here for 5 years.   He uses an online pharmacy for his scripts.  I asked how he had them delivered.   He orders them sent airmail/ registered  and rents a PO Box at his local post office in Sabanilla.   Steve said as long as they are sent registered airmail, he  has no problems receiving them. !!!    THAT is big news to me, different from all the other comments I read on these types of blogs.  Although not sure generic prices are less than available in Managua.

As for visa stamp issues of 90 days vs. 30 days, there were two agents at CR desk. one male , one female.   I got male  and sailed thru.  He got female but was uncertain what she was telling him.   He has been doing this border run for 5 years.  same exit / entrance gate.  this is the first time he had anyone indicate it might be 60 days instead of 90.  But he still got 90 days.  He said he keeps copy of his Social Security Disability Letter with him and shows it to border agent if any questions arise.  said that seems to work for him.
Another fellow who lives in Puerto Viejo was hearing rumors about 30 days issues at Boca del Toro in Panama.  So he was trying a new route to Nicaragua this time.  Missed him on return so don't know how he fared.

Sorry your border run by Ticabus was not so pleasnt as my MANY runs while waiting for residency lots of years ago but I  still send friends who say it went smoothly.
Panama is getting finicky about 30 or 90 day stamps , but just  be polite but persistant, but I still preferred  Nicaragua  over Panama.
Good advice to TRY slipping meds through to my PO box
My caja does not have the  brand of anti coagulants I prefer. They have one which  needs  many blood tests (No veins ) so I buy mine at a discount drugstore in San Jose STILL expensive $29  for 14  ...YUK
I also have a rarely used, due to lack of trust to Aerocasias which  is via Miami but they gave me a free membership because over the years had "Lost " a lot of Christmas mail and gifts  but I may ask them if drugs would slip through. They used to say NO :(
  but people who sent me seeds etc would put things in Bubble envelopes and they came with no problem like ordinary mail to my P.O box in Heredia. so I will try it .
Do you know which  site he used ?  Thank you.

He posted this 7 months ago.

true but maybe he is still around ?

Glad you dug up this old post, I hadn't seen it and the info re medicines (not drugs! LOL) coming through registered mail is a great tip, might be worth a try.

What happened to this country? Medicines used to be cheap here! Now they're MORE than the USA for some stuff at least! I tried to buy fluticasone - a common allergy med in the USA - and they want $50 for what I pay $22 for in the USA.

USA must have talked them into not selling cheap pharmaceuticals? Or ??

Or ?? You pay the going price here.  We thought it would be less expensive here but we were wrong.  Not a show stopper as we love it here.  We came for the lifestyle, not the economics and I realize that many people think it is less expensive here but we found that to be a fallacy.

Hi Pebs.  I am still around.  a nice thing about this website is it sends me an email when someone posts a topic I have made a comment about.    I do not know what website my co-bus rider used, only remember it was an online Canadian website.  But what he stressed was the "registered" part.  I began using those in the last two + years.   I started using one a car salesman told me about.   He must have received a bird dog fee cause it is one of the higher priced ones I have since used.   Just google "canadian online pharmacy and you will find a slew of them.  I think you can even google 'review' of that topic and find a review.  but remember a review is only as good as the one paying the reviewer. 

anyway, I am currently using maple leaf or something close to that.    it is one of the cheapest by cost of drugs.  so far when I order 'generic' the drugs can come from all over.   korea, india, etc.  but I am happy to say, the place of mfg., does not seem to dilute the medicines effectiveness.   At least not yet.     

I have spoken to several Tico's / Tica's about where they purchase their Rx's and two have told me that Panama is even cheaper than Nicaragua.  One gal used to own and run her own pharmacy.   She says the cheapest place in San Jose Metro is called " Pharmacy Value".   The one she showed me is in Cariari across the highway from the golf course area.  I went there last week ( as I still do not have a PO Box ) and bought drugs.  they were cheaper but still pretty pricy.   The best news is I received my residency card by years end and no longer have to make border runs.  Now if I could just get my CCSS card I could get my Rx's for free.   

BTW, I started using ARCR for my residency.   They were good about the initial filing.  But once I needed to actually go register, sign, pay, etc., they did not know what they were talking about.  Honestly, they did not know anything about CAJA's current requirements/policies.   the reason is they do not help anyone with anything connected to actually getting your cedula or signing up for CAJA.   THAT is the biggest component of the entire process.   

I got lucky.  I met a couple who run several businesses here.   The wife's business is immigration.   She knows everything about the system.   She walked me thru both migration process and CAJA registration.   The one task remaining is actually getting my CAJA card.   We were told to show up at 5-6am for opening at 6am to initiate the process of getting a CAJA card.  Neither of us is enthused about that part.   Had it not been for her, I would still be standing in a wrong line.  her name is Johanna.  Her company is "CRimmigrationexperts.com".

BOOOOOOOOO NOT the 2nd time a long post Informative I believe AND edited ! DISAPPEARED so too friustrated to write again today,,Hit what I THOGHT was the DAMN Cap key ,,and away ot went /..THAT will teach me to REFUSE typing lessons at school incase I found myself on a typing pool ) :(   

But I will just say THANK you  Sporty for not making me a  "dummy " for  responding to your  old post and you are a SPORT  AND  many will benefit from your information especially about ARCR, I have been warning people for years , and CONGRATS on your residency .
For your CCSS I recommend that you go to the MAIN office on Ave 2 in San Jose and speak with a MANGER there.
They just re-instated me (with a discount which I asked for as I am older now :)  after one year of non payment.    They cut you off now after 3 months  which for me was  better as I had only to pay THOSE 3 months.)  I had a Good excuse as CCSdid not have the BRAND of anticoaagulants I needed )
The CHEAPEST Farmarcia I use and save at least $13  (worth the  20 minute drive from Heredia ) is LA BOMBA in San Jose (San Pedro) I think your recommendation may be higher priced as Cariari  is a Gringo "Place"  :)
Thats all folks  as NO way I am gonna type MORE :)