2014 Homicide Statistics State by State

www.inegi.org.mx/saladeprensa/boletines … 5_07_4.pdf

Interesting stats,my hometown of Birmingham Alabama which is ranked in the top 5 most dangerous cities in America consistently has on average 300 murders a year.Tame compared to what we see here.Should silence the Mexico is safer than the states crowd.Just on a side note,in my 30 years in the States I have known one friend who was murdered.I have been in Coatzacoalcos 8 months and between my fiancé and I we know 3 also the brother of a friend who is currently in prison for murdering the manager of the Volkswagen dealership.He was paid $80 for the Job.I think it would be unwise of anybody to act as though they are safe in this country.dont make enemy's don't even upset anyone and Always be aware of your surroundings

Depends a lot on where you live.  In the US or here, there's a lot of variation from state to state, even city to city
Scroll down to Page 7.

That's true,some places seem a lot worse than others.And I am only qualified to speak for Coatzacoalcos I suppose

That is just comparing murder state by state. The U.S. states are also just murder stats they do not include the Number of Deaths Due to Injury by Firearms per 100,000 Population . The 3 year old who shot him or herself in the head with an unsecured weapon would not be included in the murder stats. You will also not see deaths related to police actions there. http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/fi … r-100000/.
When you add in those stats the numbers go up significantly. You have to look at all of the death and violence stats to get a clear picture.

I'm not saying that there is no death or violence in Mexico, of course there is. But I don't worry about getting killed in a drive by, in a school, at the mall, or any of the other places known for violent incidents in the U.S. I live in an area with very low crime stats and feel fairly safe. There is honestly no town in the U.S where I would feel safe to just visit a mall with no concern like I do here. Three of the places where I lived in the U.S. had violent incidents in a school or mall. And these were areas with pretty low crime rates not Alabama or New Orleans.

I think it does include accidental deaths.
The following taken from the notes at the bottom of the chart.
"Causes of death attributable to firearm mortality include ICD-10 Codes W32-W34, Accidental discharge of firearm; Codes X72-X74, Intentional self-harm by firearm; X93-X95, Assault by firearm; Y22-Y24, Firearm discharge, undetermined intent; and Y35, Legal intervention involving firearm discharge. Deaths from injury by firearms exclude deaths due to explosives and other causes indirectly related to firearms."

My experience living in Mexico/Baja/Tijuana/Rosarito/Ensenada (which is probably the same thruout the country) is that who you associate with directly affects your safety.  If you associate with questionable people regardless if they are Mexican nationals or expats your safety could be affected esp. if you are a female.  Most expats I've met here in Baja who were involved in a crime such as theft or robbery was due to them trusting people they knew for a very short time and they knew very little about the person.  Females are usually more at risk than males here and I have never had a problem because I don't immediately trust anyone I meet and definitely don't allow them in my place until I know them really well.  It's all a matter of using common sense.

Hola  Why stay in that area?  big country  out thereand safer places Buena Suerte  Philipe