Medical Certification Requirements for Working Visa

I am a British citizen who has a job starting in Muscat later this year and currently living in SE Asia. I am currently trying to obtain my working visa starting with the medical certification. The Oman authorities have been unclear on the following points;

- If it is compulsory to take a medical for a British citizen.
- What are the requirements of the medical.
- Is there a set medical form that the authorities should issue to the applicant for the chosen hospital to complete.
- A list of reputable hospitals accepted by the authorities.
- Whether the medical can be attested in Oman.

Any advise or guidance on the medical certification rules and regulations would be greatly appreciated.

Hi DFJS,

It would be best for you to post these queries directly to your prospective employer.

In the forum, you will find a lot of discussions about the medical tests required for expatriate employees - but most would pertain to the Asian expatriates. That is why it is better for your employer to clarify all your concerns directly.

Hi friends
I underwent medical fitness testing for Oman employment recently. This is how it goes:
1. First step is to get GAMCA slip at GAMCA centers located in all major cities in India. You need to go there personally with your original passport.
2. They'll get your biometric, take a snap using their web-cam & hand over the GAMCA slip free of cost within a few minutes (something that you'll rarely experience in India :idontagree: ).
3. A random GCC-affiliated medical center (within city limits) is mentioned in the slip (I mean you can't go to a center of your choice).
4. GAMCA slip is valid for up to 60 days. So you have to get the testing done within that period.
5. The GCC-affiliated medical center collects GAMCA slip & you'll also need five passport-size photographs with blue background (Oman rule). Visa & Offer letter are not mandatory. They will take your snap & biometric again (for cross verification with GAMCA center).
6. You will give your urine sample first. I have seen people filling the sample container with tap water just to make sure nothing adverse comes up in the report!!
7. They will then take your blood sample (5ml). Inside the blood collection room, your snap will be cross verified in the computerized system once again!!
8. Chest X-ray is taken (not sure if its a digital x-ray). You are told to take a deep breath & hold for few seconds while they take the film. Some individuals do not take deep breath while getting filmed.... to hide their lung scars!!
9. You will then be examined by a GP who notes down your height, weight, BP and auscultates your chest with a stethoscope. He will ask if you'd undergone any surgery in the past & inquires about any drug allergy. He will also test your vision in both eyes separately. I was asked to count the black dots on white background at a distance of 6 meters approx. The GP had Ishihara charts with him that are used to detect color blindness (I guess they're for professional drivers, industrial workers, etc.).
10. The physician told me that I will have to get MMR vaccination for which I only said, ok sir....
11. You will be given an acknowledgment/ slip which you will have to produce while collecting the report. The medical testing charges for Oman are Rs.3800 (per individual). You will pay the same before leaving the center (please do insist for a bill for the same).
12. The whole process took about an hour (the center was not so busy on that day, I guess)
13. They told the report is generally available on next day & is only hand-delivered (can send your friend as messenger with the provided slip). They don't courier the reports even if you're ready to pay for it.
14. Reports are delivered only if you are found to be 'fit' (inquire over phone if you are 'fit' before visiting them)

Now, the report.... It consists of 4 pages.
1. The original GAMCA slip (with hologram)
2. Medical Test Report of the GCC Board (with hologram & your computerized snap)
>>>Medical examination:
Eye/Ear, BP/Heart, Lungs/chest X-ray, Abdomen, Hernia, Vericose veins, Extremities, Deformities, Skin, Venereal diseases (clinical), CNS and Psychiatry
>>>Lab investigations:
Urine: Sugar, Albumin, Bilharziasis (if endemic).
Stool: mentioned as 'normal' though no stool sample was collected!
Blood: Blood group, Hemoglobin, Thick film for Malaria & Microfilaria
Serology: RBS (random blood sugar), Liver function test (details not specified), Creatinine, ELISA for HIV 1 & 2, HBsAg, Anti-HCV, VDRL, TPHA for syphilis (if VDRL positive) and pregnancy test for females
3. Medical Report of the Test center signed by the center head (exactly same as above but with your photograph pasted on it)
4. Vaccination certificate mentioning Rubella and Measles vaccines (batch number & date of inoculation. I wonder how I got that certificate without getting any injections!
I've heard that once you are tested, the fitness tests cannot be repeated before 6 months. I still remember those nervous moments before I got to know about the results from the medical center over phone here in Mumbai....
Good luck to those going for "fitness testing"...  :rolleyes:

Hi DFJS, did you finally had to undergo GAMCA tests? We are in Australia and my husband got an offer from Oman. We are not sure what to do 🙁Employer is of not much help
Ozzie A

Hi Sumitran,
I have read your helpful comments in many blogs. I hope you would be able to help me as well.
We are in Australia and my husband got job offer from Oman. Offer letter is very standard and says he has to undergo GAMCA tests. But the HR is not able to tell him from where in Australia. We spoke to Omani embassy here. They were not aware of any GAMCA test nor any centre. Do Australian residents also have to undergo these tests?
Hope you can throw some light on this
Thanks in advance.
Ozzie A

Hi Ozzie A,

All expatriate employees are required to submit their medical test reports for due scrutiny prior to their employment visa can be issued.

If you do a simple site search on the same subject, you will find many informative past discussions.

It is quite surprising that the local Oman embassy is unaware of such requirements for expat employee. Strange.

Thanks for reverting back Sumitranji. Actually I had tried searching on the internet but couldn't find information on these tests in Australia. I read somewhere that these are for employees from Asian countries only. We are very confused now. So much so that my husband is thinking of going to India and get the tests done there.
Ozzie A

Hi Ozzie A,

It is any day better to check directly with your husband's employer as to whether the medical test reports are required or not.

Since it is they who would be applying for your husband's employment visa, trust no one else but them in matters such as these.

I think you are right Sumitranji. Will ask the employer (3rd time now).

Thanks for your guidance 😊

Hi ,now am in Oman.today I came for medical test in Oman after landing.in my report , random blood sugar is high 180.is create any problem for my employment? company will send back to me  India? Am worrying.please let me know...

muthu86 wrote:

Hi ,now am in Oman.today I came for medical test in Oman after landing.in my report , random blood sugar is high 180.is create any problem for my employment? company will send back to me  India? Am worrying.please let me know...

Hi muthu86,

What would be looked into closely during the GAMCA medical tests is whether the expatriate is an active carrier any communicable diseases.

More so, communicable diseases related to physical intimacy and contact such as HIV, AIDS, Hepatitis, the full range of STDs, besides TB,  etc.

@Ozzie A

HI Ozzie,

I would like to know how the process was and which report you had to submit.

My case is similar, I am australian citizen and now got an offer in oman. the employer has asked same for gamca equivalent test but not sure what they mean,

your inputs would help me sort the process.

Look forward for your positive response.

please so message me on ***

Moderated by Bhavna 2 weeks ago
Reason : Email
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@manishkajrolkar

hello,

please note that the member's post is from 2016 and they haven't been active for several years now.

Regards

Bhavna