About to move to Paris/about to become friendless

Hi guys!
So I'm moving from California to Paris next month, and I'm super excited, but the whole "I don't know anyone/have no friends over there" is putting a bit of a damper on that. It'd be awesome to chat with some people, have someone to meet up with when I get there.
:D

Hello
Welcome to Paris !!! Hope you'll enjoy your stay :)
I'll be happy to help you if you need some guide to take your marks in France ^^
Hope you don't mind if my English is not perfect, I hope you'll help me to improve my skill
Feel free to join me on private message

Good luck for your preparation to move and glad to see you soon

I've moved here (Paris) almost 7 months ago from East Coast US... and I'm still "sort of" friendless. I joined this blog and meetup as well and chatted with a few people but it never resulted in any meet ups. Sad. Really. I even PM'ed some people here but never gotten any replies in return. Anyway, I guess I need to be more proactive in making friends? :) I know things will get better. Right now a big chunk of my time is spent job hunting, improving my French, and trying to network with other expats. I wish you all the best, Avery23 and do check out meetup. There are plenty of groups there geared towards expats and socializing.

~ Jo

Hi Mzjgen and welcome to Paris too !
I've sent a post for meeting new people even if I'm not expat myself (yet :p) but it didn't give anything (I must admit it's only my fault : I was very busy with my finals...)
Anyway now I'm free !
I'd be pleased to meet you ! If you want to begin with some PM I'll be glad to answer you ^^
Good luck for your job hunting and hope we'll be in touch very soon :)

Ciremya wrote:

Hi Mzjgen and welcome to Paris too !
I've sent a post for meeting new people even if I'm not expat myself (yet :p) but it didn't give anything (I must admit it's only my fault : I was very busy with my finals...)
Anyway now I'm free !
I'd be pleased to meet you ! If you want to begin with some PM I'll be glad to answer you ^^
Good luck for your job hunting and hope we'll be in touch very soon :)

Hi there Ciremya!
Thank you. I must admit some of the difficulties meeting new people here is on me. It seems that most people like to meet in bars/pubs and go out for a drink. I'm one of those who doesn't really get comfortable in a bar. Don't get me wrong, I drink but bar/club hopping is not my thing. C'est pas vraiment mon truc !! I find that it's hard making friends in a new city/country when you're married sans kids. I lived in Paris for 9 months back in 2013 and made plenty of friends but the sad part is that, they all returned to their respective countries and some moved to Spain and other parts of Europe. Tant pis pour moi. Anyway, thank you. I'll PM you :) I hope your finals went well. Are you staying in Paris for the summer or going away on vacation?

~Jo

Well it seemed I've read to quickly ... You lived in Paris for 9 months in 2013 then leave and back again ? Lucky you !!
I've sent you an email to make deeper meeting (?? ^^") and now I'm looking forward to Avery's return !

Long live subway and the 4G network !!!!!

Sorry for double posting ^^"

"Welcome to Paris !!! Hope you'll enjoy your stay :)
I'll be happy to help you if you need some guide to take your marks in France ^^
Hope you don't mind if my English is not perfect, I hope you'll help me to improve my skill
Feel free to join me on private message"

Hi! I don't mind the imperfect English at all, god knows my French needs a ton of work. I'd definitely be happy to take you up on the guide part, though. It's a little bit daunting, moving to a new country all by yourself.

Mzjgen wrote:

I've moved here (Paris) almost 7 months ago from East Coast US... and I'm still "sort of" friendless. I joined this blog and meetup as well and chatted with a few people but it never resulted in any meet ups. Sad. Really. I even PM'ed some people here but never gotten any replies in return. Anyway, I guess I need to be more proactive in making friends? :) I know things will get better. Right now a big chunk of my time is spent job hunting, improving my French, and trying to network with other expats. I wish you all the best, Avery23 and do check out meetup. There are plenty of groups there geared towards expats and socializing.

~ Jo

Hey! I actually just moved back from the East Coast- I was going to school out in New York. Which part are you from?

It's ok for me, I'll be happy to help you !

Have you anyone to welcome you at the airport and help you through our urban jungle ?

Let me know if you need any help, if I can, I'll be happy to facilitate your arrival :)

Avery23,

I'm from good old NJ! :)

Ciremya wrote:

It's ok for me, I'll be happy to help you !

Have you anyone to welcome you at the airport and help you through our urban jungle ?

Let me know if you need any help, if I can, I'll be happy to facilitate your arrival :)

I do, actually. I will actually have a few connections when I get there, so I won't be totally alone, but they're more along the lines of work connections so I've still got to fill in the friend gap

Mzjgen wrote:

Avery23,

I'm from good old NJ! :)

Well hey there! I actually really never spent too much time in NJ. I mostly just stuck around the city, or occasionally I went up into New England but I never really ventured over east too often.

Hi guys! Immoving to Paris in August and id love to meet some friends as I too will be friendless!! :'(

Hi Avery 23 !

For sure arriving in Paris end of july is a challenge  my dear !
The town is empty ! totally empty... compared to rest of year long , normally

An advice : Take it as a chance to visit the most of "what should be seen in Paris" you can !
You'll understand when the madness of this city will begin again in september.
Let's have long walks on side-walks with just a few people around. Not being perturbed, confused by the usual crowd.Have a view on the architecture and monuments, Take your marks in the city, outside.
Then when - weather will be sader- you'll be on time to join people "inside" and have to ask and talk with friends. Being alone in Paris is a true chance, You can trust me...  a kind of "privilège" as you are (Us) used to consider so many things.

I lived 12 years in Paris ... some areas where "contacts" are usually easy :
* american university south Paris city ( lot of students Us and others nations)
* american women club ( Us for sure but also integrated Us citizens ...)
* internations meetings ( website which organises meetings between foreigners and french in Paris)
* lot of young and 40's Y.O  Us citizens are living in Paris 15° ( av de La motte-Picquet / rue du commerce) you can meet them at terraces ...restaurants.

Good luck ! you'll see : Paris is really a nice city; So much to be seen or visited, or people to meet.
Don't forget this old Us tag :" as soon as an american soul vanishs .. it flies to Paris" ( my gran'am' says - born in N.Y Cy brooklyn - she used to recall this tag; but it was a period when the us elite was fond of this country, as she was, too ... it seemed to be a "Must" for them on a lot of items, and origins of so many expressions transfered directly in american usual language which are coming from french as "Chic!" a.s.o) - So, let's take a chance to make good memories and "souvenirs"

I just moved from California to Paris this week! Let's go get coffee!

Hi everyone !
We organize a meet up to welcome all the new expats in Paris !

Enter it there : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=514203#2803154

Hope we'll see you soon !

Moving to Paris in 2 weeks! I'd be down to meet some/all of you and grab a drink or a bite! Excited :)

Hi Avery,
How are you?
I've just learned one of our member is need to meet you in order to answer you query when you get to Paris.Please contact him @ 0771255762..Or you can find him in the job section of the blog.You can call him in his Complete name,Lloyd Quimbao.Check out now for your peace of mind..
Good luck!
Daniel