Moving to Kampala Uganda from India and need Help uregently

Hi Friends,

I m from India and moving to Kampala by Sept 2015 as a 6 months renewable contractor basis role in a telecom company. Need your help to get the details as below: Any answer to this is really welcome..

1. How is the VISA process ? What kind of VISA required? Is VISA on arrival is fine? How much is the charges ? and What is the exact procedure?

2. How is the tax system? How to pay tax and how much tax is expected for a gross monthly of apprx 5000 USD?

3. Can I get any phone numbers and names of our Indian friends who are staying there so that I can call and discuss more on this too and get help?

4. What is the best combination of flight from Hyderabad to Entebee?

5. Is there any Indian Cook available in Kampala? how much they will charge?

Please please reply back.. All your valuable replies would be appreciated and help me ..

Best Regards,

Ranjan

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.

Hi Ranjan, How are you>

Let get straight to your questions:

1. The tourist visa which costs US $50 and multiple entry is US $ 100, these are available on arrival. The company will process your work permit if you are going to work for more than a year. That's a time consuming process so if you could take your police report from India it'll be easy for you to speed up the process.

2. You have to pay NSSF & PAYE taxes, the company takes care of this, and don't forget to get back your NSSF when your contract is over.

3.My Indian friends are back home for holidays.

4.I don't have any knowledge about the flights from India

5. There are many Indian restaurants available in Kampala. Prices ranges from UGX 20,000 - 100,000

Hope these will help you

Dear Michael,

Thank you so much for the reply. Appreciate that.

Anyway, I need a work permit under Class G. So do you think Tourist Visa will do it? Anyway, I saw somewhere in internet that Uganda doesn't allow the employees without prior workpermit to enter Uganda.

Regards,
Ranjan

Hi Ranjan,

First of all request a letter from the company which is hiring you, stating that you have given such position and you are going to stay in Uganda for some time, its more like an introduction letter from the company to the immigration officer, which you have to give at the visa counter in-order to get the tourist visa. If your tourist visa runs out after you arrive in Uganda there are special passes you can get until you obtain the work permit. It is not a must to have work permit to enter Uganda, you can use the tourist visa to enter and then you can work your way up to the work permit.

BR
:)