Healthcare for the already sick

My wife and I are planning on moving to Valencia. She is a Spanish citizen and I am US planning to get whatever papers necessary to stay long term. I was dignosed with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis about 4 years ago which is a terminal disease with no known cure (yet). So my question is, will Spain allow me medical coverage under these conditions?

I also have an incurable cancer and none of the big insurers here would touch it. One international insurer called Interglobal may let me qualify, but they are costly. My doctor here recommended trying to contact local/regional insurers instead of the big ones, so I am busy with that now. The problem we have is that such a disease can affect any part of one's body, so there is really no part that is not at risk and that means the insurers are heavily exposed to big bills. They really cannot excluded anything.

In your case though, if your wife can just provide proof she is a Spanish citizen, she has a right to state health care and by extension her direct family members have that to. So they could not refuse you. Of course getting additional private health care insurance to get better docs and clinics and faster treatments would be a big problem for you, similar to mine.

Thanks we are going in Sept so will look into it.