Getting married in Romania

I got married in Denmark to my romanian wife. We got the 4 language marriage certificate legalised and translated, brought name change certificates in english and some more documents. It was all rejected by the city officials.
The stamps were too nice and they wanted the name change on the marriage certificate, not on the side *facepalm*
Any good advice would be nice...

NickyVC wrote:

I got married in Denmark to my romanian wife. We got the 4 language marriage certificate legalised and translated, brought name change certificates in english and some more documents. It was all rejected by the city officials.
The stamps were too nice and they wanted the name change on the marriage certificate, not on the side *facepalm*
Any good advice would be nice...

I don't know if it's good advice or not, but I'll give it a shot :)

1.  Go back and see if you can talk to someone else and get a different answer. 
2.  Ask to speak to their superior
3.  Contact the Danish Embassy and see if they can assist somehow.
4.  If you happen to be back in DK in the near future, try to register the marriage at the Romanian embassy there if she has some legal residency status there.

Good luck.

Thank you!
Here in Campulung moldovenesc, there is only one guy and the mayer is the superior :-)
I believe that the best chance is to go to the embassy in Denmark.

MONEY (bribe I mean,at least me and my wife went through this)and patience is needed ha ha !!!!

Baba668 wrote:

MONEY (bribe I mean,at least me and my wife went through this)and patience is needed ha ha !!!!

I know a lot of people are doing this, and it has been the social norm here for a long time...but I don't support this habit of bribery, and I feel it needs to end.  Offering bribes only reinforces this behaviour from officials; that they can arbitrarily demand whatever they want, or refuse to provide the service that the public is entitled to in order to receive some extra money.  Both officials and public should follow the law.

Well we didn't offer the bribe,the officials did and it still took too long and this woman asked for more and I said NO ! and she freaked out and the next thing you know is our paperwork was done ?!! ha ha !!!

Just out of curiosity, how much would a bribe be likely to be in size?
Because of our new middle name, we can't get it done in Copenhagen. It seems like middle names from Denmark are incompatible  with Romanian middle names

Hello! This is probably a bit off-topic, but if you have any info, please submit :)

I'm a Romanian citizen and only 17, I met my boyfriend one year ago in Germany, he was a student there at the time, now he went back to Beirut - he is Lebanese.
He is planning to move to Romania, but first of all, we want to spend some time together here.
The political situation in Lebanon is abominable, so that won't happen any time soon.
I just need to know if me, being underage, I can write an invitation letter so he could get the visitation/tourist visa easier.
Thank you.

waterbearer wrote:

Hello! This is probably a bit off-topic, but if you have any info, please submit :)

I'm a Romanian citizen and only 17, I met my boyfriend one year ago in Germany, he was a student there at the time, now he went back to Beirut - he is Lebanese.
He is planning to move to Romania, but first of all, we want to spend some time together here.
The political situation in Lebanon is abominable, so that won't happen any time soon.
I just need to know if me, being underage, I can write an invitation letter so he could get the visitation/tourist visa easier.
Thank you.

Yes, it is off-topic.  Please review the Romania Forum Code of Conduct.  In the future, please find a topic which addresses your question, or start a new topic.  Thank you.

To answer your question, I'm pretty sure it's no.  You must be of legal age to submit a invitation request to the immigration police.  An invitation request means you assume legal responsibility for the foreign guest, and you are not even legally responsible for yourself until you are 18.  Wait for your birthday, then go ahead.  Even if you submit an invitation letter, it does not guarantee that it will be approved, nor does it guarantee a visa approval.

Well all I can say if you have been married before you have lots of paperwork to do . everything has to be double stamped from your home country embassy back to bucerest down to city hall where there are a couple of ladies who enjoy telling you you need more paperwork with a great big smile.took me aproxx 3 moths from start to finish to get this done.i was very stressed out but my better half kept me calm. If you are a single male or woman getting married the process is a breeze.

Chefpjd1 wrote:

If you are a single male or woman getting married the process is a breeze.

No, it really isn't :) But I empathize, I know it's a struggle.

Compared to the crap my wife and I had to go through and the hoops we had to jump through I think this post is perfect.mind your own comments.

Chefpjd1 wrote:

Compared to the crap my wife and I had to go through and the hoops we had to jump through I think this post is perfect.mind your own comments.

Everyone's experiences are subjective, and I was being respectful towards your experience and opinion.  Please do the same.

Romaniac

i hear you my friend.it was madness all right and in the end the 2 womanwho gave us all the grief and stress were present at city hall and we had to look at them in the eyes and smile and say thank you. cant tell you what i wanted to do lol. glad its over blood pressure went from 170 to 140 now i can live lol

We gave up this time around. Apparently there is a Haag convention form from 1976  that they want, attesting that we truly are married, filed with real stamps and such.
Next time we go to Romania, we go better prepared :-)

NickyVC wrote:

We gave up this time around. Apparently there is a Haag convention form from 1976  that they want, attesting that we truly are married, filed with real stamps and such.
Next time we go to Romania, we go better prepared :-)

Yes, official documents like this typically need this, it's called an Apostille....which certifies the authenticity of the document.

Hi what is a  Häag convention

Chefpjd1 wrote:

Hi what is a  Häag convention

It's an Apostille...:)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention

Romaniac

Why didn't you just say that lol.

Hi there. i am wondering if this topic is stil alive?? if it is here is my question

I am Marian from Romania.. and i want to get Married with my Fiance Joy here.. well i asked her in here
country .give her just the ring for now.. but i am planning to bring her her.. the problem is i am lack of money now.. cuz i work in spain.. and i will go back to spain this october.. and i am wondering.. if i can bring her there aswell.. do i need alot of papers?? i know i need an invitation from notary and a budget of 500 euros at least.. i don't want to wait until next summer when i will come back from spain to romania and bring her here. how can i do it someone can help me plss.. i will be so happy.

Marian89 wrote:

Hi there. i am wondering if this topic is stil alive?? if it is here is my question

I am Marian from Romania.. and i want to get Married with my Fiance Joy here.. well i asked her in her
country just the ring for now.. but i am planning to bring her her.. the problem is i am lack of money now.. cuz i work in spain.. and i will go back to spain this october.. and i am wondering.. if i can bring her there aswell.. do i need alot of papers?? i know i need an invitation from notary and a budget of 500 euros at least.. i don't want to wait until next summer when i will come back from spain to romania and bring her here. how can i do it someone can help me plss.. i will be so happy.

So, as I understand, and tell me if I'm wrong....you want to get married in Spain then?  If this is the case, then you need to search topics in the Spain forum (or post your question there if it is not answered already) and those qualified to answer you will do so there.  This topic is for marriage in Romania only.

Romaniac

thank you very much.. but i got one simple question.. we will not get married right away.. i will hope she will work with me.. cuz i work with contract.. do u think is better to send the invitation visa for work or getting married?

Marian89 wrote:

thank you very much.. but i got one simple question.. we will not get married right away.. i will hope she will work with me.. cuz i work with contract.. do u think is better to send the invitation visa for work or getting married?

Again, if she is coming in Spain, you need to ask people in Spain, not Romania :)  Head over to the Spain forum and ask, they won't bite you ;) 

However, in general, a work visa application is submitted by the company hiring her and if she is non-EU, the chances it will be approved are low considering Spain's very high unemployment rate.

Also, if she needs an invitation for a tourist/visit visa, it may have to be submitted by a Spanish citizen.  This is a question you need to ask about to those familiar with Spanish laws. 

Romaniac
Romania Expat Advisor
Expat-Blog

hey Romaniac. i talked with my Fiance. and we toke this decision to get married in romania.. what i want to ask u. is i know how to get married here we need to translate her docs and all that. but u see i talked with romanian embassy they told me like i need to make a short visa permit with a letter for her. and we can get married and she will need to go back to her place in philippines.. and then apply for a long term on with "Family Reunification" but on another Forum i saw u can get a long term visa based on "Marriage with an Romanian Citizen" that will help her immigrate and stay here without the need to go back to her country again.. can u help me plss..?? i will be very thankful ^_^

yes  getting married to a romanian citizen will let you stay up to 5 yrs then whens that is up you just simply apply again

Marian89 wrote:

hey Romaniac. i talked with my Fiance. and we toke this decision to get married in romania.. what i want to ask u. is i know how to get married here we need to translate her docs and all that. but u see i talked with romanian embassy they told me like i need to make a short visa permit with a letter for her. and we can get married and she will need to go back to her place in philippines.. and then apply for a long term on with "Family Reunification" but on another Forum i saw u can get a long term visa based on "Marriage with an Romanian Citizen" that will help her immigrate and stay here without the need to go back to her country again.. can u help me plss..?? i will be very thankful ^_^

Marian,

What people are doing is applying for C/VV visit visa, entering Romania, and getting married as soon as possible as the clock is ticking!.  As soon as as you get the Certificat de Casatorie (Marriage Certificate), submit an application for a Permis de Sedere pentru Membru de Familie at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your area of residence.  This will be processed within 30-45 days (this is why I say the clock is ticking, you want this to be done before her 90 days C/VV visa expires, just in case) and if everything is ok, she is issued the residence permit without her needing to return to her origin country. A long stay D/VF visa is not appropriate.

Good luck!

Romaniac
Romania Expat Advisor
Expat-Blog

Thank you very much!! Romaniac

ufff i will disturb u with one more question.. i am sorry :D okay i get that and it's amazing. u see the issue is we will get married and as soon as we get (certificat de casatorie) we will submit an application for a Permis de Sedere pentru Membru de Familie at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your area of residence. okay i get that.. but u see when she will come here. right in romania.. we will do that but i can stay only 15 days.. then i will go back to spain cuz there i work.. she will remain in romania to receive that (permis de sedere) i need to come back again?? to sign something?? cuz i don't think i can do that.. this is only my last question.. u have been with so much help thank you

Marian89 wrote:

ufff i will disturb u with one more question.. i am sorry :D okay i get that and it's amazing. u see the issue is we will get married and as soon as we get (certificat de casatorie) we will submit an application for a Permis de Sedere pentru Membru de Familie at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in your area of residence. okay i get that.. but u see when she will come here. right in romania.. we will do that but i can stay only 15 days.. then i will go back to spain cuz there i work.. she will remain in romania to receive that (permis de sedere) i need to come back again?? to sign something?? cuz i don't think i can do that.. this is only my last question.. u have been with so much help thank you

I understand.  Well, no, you shouldn't need to sign anything after the application is submitted if I remember correct, and she can sign and take the permis de sedere herself from MAE.  The only concern I have with your situation, is that during the processing of the application for the residency permit, what if they decide an interview or home visit is necessary based on the application?  You'll definitely need to be present for that!  Something to consider..

Romaniac

So my spouse who is Romanian and i am from South Africa got married in Bahamas in January of this year. I would like to know what is the next step in order to get it registered in Romania.Do i have to do the whole process like take my birth certificate and get it translated and get a medical done ?What else would i need to do ?

Thank you

Alencia123 wrote:

So my spouse who is Romanian and i am from South Africa got married in Bahamas in January of this year. I would like to know what is the next step in order to get it registered in Romania.Do i have to do the whole process like take my birth certificate and get it translated and get a medical done ?What else would i need to do ?

Thank you

No medical is necessary, you are already married, so you only need to transcribe the marriage document.  I see you mentioned you were married in January.  Typically, this "transcrierea certificatului de casatorie" should be accomplished within 6 months of the marriage, or a fine of 100-200 RON can be levied, so prepare for that. 

A list of what is required (in Romanian) from Sector 1 in Bucuresti can be found here
http://www.starecivila1.ro/transcriere-acte/

Basically, to answer your question, yes everything must be translated.  There are some declarations to be made at a notary and some apostilles will be needed with your marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc...

Romaniac
Expat-Blog Experts Team

Thank you so much for the quick response.

yep......

Hi i wanted to find out to get my statement in my country ,to state that i am not married in South Africa you mentioned Apostle.Can i not do it our local police station as there is where we get our paper work certified and any statements that is needed.
Thank you

I await on the response to previous reply

Alencia123 wrote:

I await on the response to previous reply

Sorry I cannot speak on the process of legalisation of official documents in South Africa.  That is something you need to research.  Typically though, a police station cannot legalize documents.  You might post a message in the South Africa forum on Expat.com and await someone to guide you there or simply investigate yourself.

Romaniac

I went to the town hall today with my boyfriend in targu mures and the woman told us we have to get the Romanian stamp on my original birth certificate despite the fact I have a legalized stamped copy of my birth certificate.
From any body who got married, did they ask you the same thing?
When I was in Canada the guy at Romania ambassy said I did not need to get the Romanian stamp on my original if I have a copy stamped by the JLAC and the Romanian ambassy.

I kinda don't want to get useless stamp because we are short on money

My boyfriend is Romanian and I am Canadian.
We are together in a long distance relationship for almost 3 years and this year I want to end the long distance relationship for a normal relationship if you get what I mean.
It s my fifth time in Romania but I plan on staying over 6 consecutive months in his hone before bringing him in Canada with me.

Hi
Can you email me details how you apply for tourist visa from Indonesia and which process u use to register marriage in Denmark

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : do not post personal contact details here for your own security
Rajag wrote:

Hi
Can you email me details how you apply for tourist visa from Indonesia and which process u use to register marriage in Denmark

:offtopic:

For visas, please search an appropriate topic or you can consult the Romanian embassy for info.

As for registering a marriage in Denmark, I'd recommend looking for an associated topic in the Denmark forum.

Please avoid posting contact information in the forum.  You can use the PM system to contact members and exchange information privately.

Romaniac
Expat-Blog Experts Team

Will do thanks