Homeschooling in Romania

Hello expat parents  :top:

Have any parents have decided that the Romanian state or various private schools are unsuitable for their children or lifestyle?  Please share your experience!  What led you to homeschooling your children here?  As homeschooling is neither recognized nor prohibited in Romania, have you encountered any unique difficulties; have you found support that might be useful to other Romania expats that decide to homeschool?

Romaniac,
Romania Expat Advisor
Expat.com

The school year is starting, any homeschooling families out there?

Dear Romaniac,
I might as well share hoping this could help somehow in some way. This is entirely my own opinion without influence by anyone nor prejudice.

We've been planning to homeschool our 2 kids for only one reason - the language barrier. Both kids were educated at International School back in the Philippines and they only speak English. Last year, we've enrolled them to state school here and that was indeed their toughest year. (It's like a whole pot of boiling water been poured over them gradually).

With the support mainly from their teachers (no one could have tutored them in Romanian language as I also don't know), they were able to make to the top and my girl was then declared of being ready to face her new stage which is the 5th grade this school year. Both of them, got an average of FB (this is their highest mark here from grades 1-4) at the end of last scholastic year 2014-2015. This year, I've decided to homeschool my children using Wolsey Oxford - UK curriculum as it is cheaper than the international school here and cost is fixed, but my husband did not agree. Hence, we had our kids continue with the state school. In order to supplement and keep their English level and for the girl in preparation for the IGCSE, we've enrolled them at British council in Bucharest after taking level test exam.

Reason for pushing thru with the state school and not to private school despite of the language problem, is, due to financial hindrance. International school's fee in the city where we're living is so huge; add the books, uniform, extra curricular activities and food which are doubled that of the state school's costs. I've made a calculation of the above items to include transportation (taxi or fuel) for both kids, it resulted that I need to shell out 20,000 Euros for a year, an amount we cannot afford no matter how we wish they could continue with international school learning.

Regarding the academic part of Romania State School - it is strong, I could observe. Just that it is more on "academic only" and not "wholistic" - "Personal development" is not quite part strong, need to get into clubs to do this...if some of you are particular on this aspect like me.

======================================================================================
I'll give a bit of an idea based on the result of my research.

Another UK based homeschooling I found are "Little Arthur" from Island of Scilly, they are also accredited examination and training center for IGCSE. Another one is "StructuredHomeschooling" but they don't give scholastic record at the end of the course, with good materials. There is also Cambridge with a bit higher tuition as it is C.

For US based, Seton was one as they were somehow connected to my country, there is also "Sonlight", they have very nice, educational and strongly motivational materials which will really inspire both the parent-mentor and the homeschooling child - won't get bored.

And YES, if given an approval by my husband I will homeschool my children. I've done long research on this  using videos, interviews, reports and other social media sources and I am all for it because my children are into different clubs and they have full association with other children of their ages. Once I'll decide to homeschool the kids, I can't reinstate them to Romania State School because it is neither accepted nor approved yet. Once I homeschool them, they are bound for UK or US or my country's universities and no longer Romania as they won't be accepted, unless Homeschooling law will be approved which is an in-progress discussion with HLDA-Romania and they are looking at obtaining approval. Please visit also the HLDA webpage - this could also help.

Thank you, God bless everyone and more power to the Homeschooling parents out there! Please keep me posted on this forum that we can build Unity in our desire in whatever we parents think is the best for our children.