Safety in Bulgaria

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Bulgaria?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Bulgaria and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

- do you feel safe in Bulgaria?
Yes we do, we actually feel safer her that in our country, a girl in the village can walk in the middle of the street and doesn't get rapped or killed, the first time we saw that, we wanted to give her a lift but then we've seen so many and the Bulgarians tell us NO DANGER

- How would you define the level of safety in the country?
Personally, I would say high, the mafia kill each other but don't bother citizens and no one would come to attack you in your house, never heard or seen pick-pocket, it's very rare a girl get rapped, most of the killings are family or neighbors related,
That how we see it and that's what the people in high places like police cheaf, the mayor ot the municipality and also the lawyers say. 

- Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?
Definitely no worry in our area

- Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?
Not at all

Hi just going off your latest reply, reading that girls being raped is rare, and most killings are family or neighbor related??
Is that not the point it is not that safe, you mention Mafia killings, rare rape, and feuding neighbors and family killing each other, they are not exactly mild crimes?
You do not mention theft, do you not see this then?, I have, my house in BG was broken in recently!!
(I am not saying the UK is crime free, far from it, but to use the above mentioned crimes, rapes, murders does not sit well when you read it?)
Regards Steve.

Sorry Steeve everything I said is for our area. Believe it or not we are safe

Hi All,,,Intersting topic,",Safety in BG",,Ive only been living in Vinograd for 3 months,of which has been trouble free,,i was informed local Mayor is ex policeman,and has zero tolerance regarding crime,,but when i arrived herein March,i was told to buy a Gun,get a Dog & get someone you trust to mind house if your away,,all that put the fear of God in me,i become Paranoid,scared of leaving house empty,,heard stories of expats homes been ransacked a few years ago,,so i am praying things have changed,,yes,i am scared of visiting my family in UK,,I honestly think it depends were you live in BG,,,Many adults & children in my village have been so friendly & welcoming,,others not so welcoming,as if i am intruding,,but you get that in anywere,,just want stress free,peacefull life,nothing else,,,Regards Eddie

Frankly, if anything, I would be more concerned about stray dogs then criminality in one form or another.
These packs can be quite daunting at times and appear to roam freely.
So, do I feel save in SOfia and anywhere else in the country, a positive yes any time if you excludes the beasts on 4 legs!

Hello Christine.

In response to your email concerning Safety and Security in Bulgaria.

Of course as long as one person has more than the next, there will be discontent and resentment. But this can vary from “Green eyes” to some form of physical contact. And although I've lived and worked in a few major cities in other countries around the world, my experience in Bulgaria is limited. And I can only comment on my short experience in and around the Varna area.

The first line of defense is protection. And in Varna personal protection in the form of household security is very obvious.  Which I guess is a visual warning that people are ready to repel any problems.

Considering the enormous chasm between the lower 20% , and the top 5% of Bulgarians, it surprises me how tolerant Bulgarians are to each other.

To cut to the chase, I have only seen two incidents of anti-social behavior.

The first incident was an obvious drunken argument between two men. And the second incident was a woman kicking seven shades of brick dust out of her husband, who was also inebriated.

During both incidents I felt no threat to my safety at all. And I would rate Varna with its population of nearly 400K as a very safe place to be.

Good luck with your survey…. Mike

I agree fully with you.... I've been walking late at night in Plovdiv, Sofia, Tarnovo not to mention the seaside without any issue which wasn't always the case in Brussels, Paris or Gothenburg.... I think the main criminality problem is the small racket and other annoyances mainly organized by some minorities....  Voilà Christine, hope this helps ;)

Been in Sofia for two years now, never had any problem, whether I'm coming home at 6am or walking around during the day.

The dogs in the streets are not strays as we know them ...they have been dumped or simply abandoned and the only time they are really threatening is when they are starving. All the dogs in my town who are living in the street know me and my car...but then I always have dog food in my car and have never been threatened by one after 10 years here

Major crime is low in the villages and smaller towns but there is theft and burglary everywhere if the opportunity arises and properties are left empty. Ex-pats are seen as good targets if the house is empty as we have so much more in materials things, but there are answers...a good security alarm linked to a mobile security company...a bell is worse than useless, or someone you trust to stay at the house while you are away.