The negatives about retiring in Ecuador

CB48 wrote:

"Gringo Price Gouging...The higher one is on the socioeconomic ladder,  the more one is expected to pay.  It is both a form of charitable giving and a badge of status that one had been recognized as High class.

Right.  Major problems in EC do not include being charged an extra dollar at the mercado.  Nor is it that some Gringos are trying to sell real estate or services to other Gringos.

In the cities -- here in Quito, for instance -- a much more serious issue is the buses.  The visible dark exhaust and fumes from the less-than-state-of-the-art buses is too much for pedestrians on the narrow streets of Centro Historico.  The overcrowding (except some weekend hours and after 9 p.m. weekdays) of the Trole line is so bad I now need to avoid it as much as possible.  Before deciding to avoid using Trole I sometimes used to have to wait on the platform for five or six buses to go through before I could even board.

Quito's new Metro (mass transit trains) is supposed to open in 2017.  We'll see.

OceanHideaway wrote:

someone asked about the coast...

...there can be the occasional scorpion or snake and sand get in the bed and couch -- yes a  tsunami can occur, mosquitoes....

no I don't sell real estate

You're too candid for that, apparently.

I agree that the pollution from the buses is incredible.  In Cuenca, locals and gringos alike cover their faces with scarves when buses go by.  The buses are also fairly unsafe unless one is quick and nimble--gentle stops are unheard of and they frequently leave the stop before passengers are off the bus, leaving one to jump or wait until the next stop with crossed fingers!

I have only been here for six months but I have never seen anyone cover their faces when a bus goes by. I have seen people with covered faces but that reason, I have been told by Ecuadorians, is to protect them from the sun.

From my experience, the buses do emit a lot of black smoke but they do not  typically have a significant foul smell. However, there are quite a number of trucks roaming the city that I have noticed that do have a very foul smell. This is probably due to the owners not having enough money to support their vehicles properly.

Another poster on some blog (possibly this one) mentioned that the particulate matter that is exhausted from buses is heavier than air and quickly falls to the ground. If this is true and suspect it is, to be fair, he did not consider that wind and traffic movement could potentially recirculate the particulate matter back into the air for periods of time. So yes it could contribute to the pollution in a small way but I think the pollution mainly comes from other sources. But it has been my experience, in the short time I have been here, that the pollution is not noticeably strong. I did notice it once when I was in a cab on a very hot day.

MikeGB wrote:

I have only been here for six months but I have never seen anyone cover their faces when a bus goes by. I have seen people with covered faces but that reason, I have been told by Ecuadorians, is to protect them from the sun.

Perhaps you could not see them because Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.

mugtech wrote:
MikeGB wrote:

Perhaps you could not see them because Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.

Brilliant reply!!

Cuence is nice, many gringos, easy to live, can buy almost everything at fair price, as more open market, except the highland of 2500m not good to me, and bus/car pollution.

any place can easily mail package outside? Peru, Panama?

netbean wrote:

Cuence is nice, many gringos, easy to live, can buy almost everything at fair price, as more open market, except the highland of 2500m not good to me, and bus/car pollution.

No luck in finding a place where you would want to live in Ecuador?

Thanks your reply, Nards.
I need to get more info about options, about where is easy to get package from outside of the country. i would like to live in coastal city.

speak to Guayaquil, many people make it as transit to other city/Galapagos, or catch airplane, there are still things to see/do: downtown center, malecon, puerto saint ana, out of the city: Playas, Salinas. If want to stay, it is too big to get to know for new comer. I catch 3 times wrong bus when arrived. There are more than 100 bus lines, but no any bus line map, except BRT, can't image it.

netbean wrote:

For an alternate perspective:

http://www.escapeartist.com/ecuador/unc … a-ecuador/

I have recently moved to Guayaquil and I find the stifling heat and humidity difficult to live with.  But this i put down to coming from a coastal city.  The crime, as in any city in any country exists, but it depends on which neighborhoods you find yourself. If you find yourself in a favela after dark and you get mugged or harassed, dont feel bad or feel that you were targeted as it would most likely happen to anyone not from that favela.

I find that learning Spanish definitely helps but you can learn the basics in a few months.  As a foreigner in a new country who does not speak the language ýou should expect to be ripped off.  However this is not an indictment on Ecuadorians, but on those working in the tourist industry which happens in any country all over the world.

I have been to some great places in Ecuador and I can highly recommend, Cuenca, for the great climate and nightlife and safety, Quito for its ease of access, many expats, if thats what you like, and rich diversity, Guayaquil, because I live  there :-) , my great neighborhood, Urdesa Central, vibrant night life, safety.  I walk to the Juan Valdez at 9 at night or in the park using the communal gym without any hassles.  Banos and surrounds for the younger crowd and Playas if you like the beach, although it gets really crowded during holiday periods.  I would stay away from Montanita because the prices there are just a ripoff and its basically a tourist trap and not a place to live permanently.

Overall, Ecuador is a great place to live but I have to caution you that you have to research it thoroughly and once you are here, be willing to integrate in to the community or you will be on the first plane back to wherever you came from.

thanks, HGQ and everyone provided info.
So far, Ecuador is a right place to live, low cost, nice weather, nice people, safe. Hope every one have fun here. Any new info, please post online.

After stay in Guayaquil for a while, I'd like to say, it's as safe as other cities in EC, I always walk alone in the street, take buses, not went out at night, it's all safe in normal places, not like the old story, my experience.

And it's sunny in the day, feel hot under the sun, about  30 C or more, it's fine under the roof. night is cool, not need A/C, fan sometimes, totally not feel humid like used to be in southeast asia.

netbean wrote:

After stay in Guayaquil for a while, I'd like to say...it's sunny in the day, feel hot under the sun, about  30 C or more, it's fine under the roof. night is cool, not need A/C, fan sometimes, totally not feel humid like used to be in southeast asia.

Guayaquil has average high temps of 30-31 C most months of the year (that's 86-88 Fahrenheit -- stats courtesy of guayaquil.climatemps.com), uncomfortable to say the least for Expats from the northern tier of the continental 48 states.

Still, it's better than Southeast Asia's hot cities.  Bangkok has average highs of 90 and above most months -- April being the worst of it at 95.

cccmedia, Quito

I am brand new to the forum, 8 work days away from retirement, ?? # of days away from definite decision as to where I would like to relocate or if at all. In reading the comments here (which I immensely enjoyed by the way), I did a bit of side research to clarify a few points made. I came across this website with a couple of articles that I found interesting and hopefully to those looking into Ecuador as a possible retirement location:

southofzero.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/moving-to-ecuador-part-i/

This may be old news to most of you, but I just wanted to share.

To those of you who posted, thank you. There is much to consider when contemplating such a lifestyle altering change.

message deleted

message deleted

message deleted

I have no complaints concerning my life in Ecuador. Every time the government passes a new law that might effect me negatively, I find an alternative. The pollution from diesel engines of buses is a problem and one that I hope someday the government will address with better maintenance.
I have great respect for the job of bus and taxi driver. I have watched monitors time buses at certain stops to see how long it takes the driver to complete a circuit and the impression I get is that the drivers are under a lot of pressure to improve their time, kind of like qualifying for the Indy 500. I like riding the bus and have gotten use to the violent ride. I can not tell you how many times people have helped me get off the bus or given up their seats for me.
I have med students visit me at least once a week to help me with my Spanish. They ask for nothing and I am happy to pay for a nice meal and some adult beverages. I also recognize them on their birthdays with gifts that they would never buy for themselves.
You must show respect to gain respect and you must attempt to learn the language. I have never been safer of happier in my life.

message deleted

Last year I saw stats which claimed there are 7 times as many Ecuadorians returning home as there are expats showing up.  Tourists by definition do not add to the population, but rather are a business Ecuador is attempting to expand by placing a tv ad on the Superbowl.

message deleted

We lived in Costa Rica before and experienced the "Gringo price" for almost everything. We could never avoid it completely, but since my wife is hispanic, she went in alone to make any large purchase or to rent a house, etc....because as soon as they spotted me....the price went up ! So, the deal had to be done, before they saw me. That was everything from a taxi ride, to clothing, to well....everything. Not sure about Ecuador, but in Costa Rica and Nicaragua....and I've learned through my best friend who married a girl from Medellin that it's the same in Colombia....so I'm guessing all over latin America, Gringos are all considered millionaires and they believe we should be charged more for everything. You just try to learn which places you can go be treated fairly and stick to those places where they know you. You also learn to negotiate everything beforehand....ask the taxi driver how much to take you somewhere and if they try to gouge you....just walk away. It is a pain, but you just learn to adjust and try not to let it bother you. I had friends that would get so upset....almost causing fights....it just isn't worth that.
We hope to retire in 8 years and 11 months....love to plan for it....wish we were leaving today ! Thanks to all of you for great info !

I live in Cuenca, Ecuador. Know what you must pay ahead of time. Ever since the government required taxis to have meters the service has improved with no ambiguities. I know how much to pay from point A to point B. Some rentals will charge more for gringos and advertise openly while others will only rent to gringos. You still will find great bargains by doing a little research and negotiation. I find most locals will treat you the same as anyone else and that many times it is other gringo owned businesses to watch out for and not locals.

message deleted

I'm sorry to hear of your plight Nataly. I know a few Columbians who work hard and make a good living. I know only one Cuban, a heart surgeon. The only Mexicans I know have high end restaurants and are married to locals. I have heard anecdotes about Columbians, but I must be living in the good part of town because I am safer here than any comparable city in the US. I have lived many places in the US. I had my home broken into, been shot at driving down the street, attacked and bitten by dogs whose owners were irresponsible, confronted by police with weapons drawn as they mistook my address for a party down the block and walked through a major city trying to get home and praying the gang members on the corner across the street did not notice me.
I will take Ecuador any day of the week as a retirement destination. My friend and I decided that if things took a turn for the worse as you described, we would just move to a different country. So far life has been "muy tranquil" in Ecuador.

message deleted

Good for you AMIGA! I happen to be living in the now and not some alternate past or future universe !

message deleted

I note N.E.'s repeated statement that this thread is for generalized posts and not anyone's personal experiences.

That's simply not the case.  It's just her personal opinión.

We welcome posters to relate their experiences.  It could even be argued that such is preferable to generalizing about how Mexicanos or Cubanos are collectively making Ecuador supposedly too dangerous.

Don't let a personal comment stop you from telling your experiences.

This is Expat.com.  Let freedom ring.

cccmedia in Quito

message deleted

carlmiller1944 wrote:

I have no complaints concerning my life in Ecuador. Every time the government passes a new law that might affect me negatively, I find an alternative.

What a great attitude, Carl. :top:

Got some examples?

cccmedia  in Quito

Last time I saw the sun in Cuenca was around 1992. It rains daily, mostly for short bursts, and unpredictably.

I would recommend flying rather than taking the bus for any distances in Ecuador. Those mountain roads are pretty scary, and I barely

... Escaped with my life on one occasion.

message deleted

Nataly Elena 1 wrote:

Buen dia; I agree, that bus rides have always been the riskiest, most stressful form of transportation as a negative in Ecuador. In town, I prefer trolley rides, as opposed to bus rides during the busiest traffic hours, because trolleys have their own lane. :cheers:

Admittedly it was a long time ago, but as a kid the bus rides were one thing that I enjoyed a lot!  From our home on the north side of town (near where the Estadio Olímpico Atahualpa is located) it cost 20 centavos to ride one-way to downtown, on Av. 6 de diciembre.  At that time the exchange rate was between 16-17 Sucres to 1 USD so 20 centavos was just a little more than 1 cent USD.

The buses would never completely stop but only slow down, at least for men (and me as a youth).  So you had to jump on, and then at your destination (¡Acá, señor!) jump off, trying to get a running start so you wouldn't stumble as you hit the ground!  And all the buses looked like cartoon buses with the sides bulging out, and were often crowded with standing room only.

In those days there seemed to be very little personal crime and I roamed without fear anywhere I wanted to go, with no adverse consequences except maybe being attacked by a dog as I rode on my bike - I got really good at delivering well-aimed kicks while keeping my balance on the bike.  On the other hand burglaries were fairly common - we had a vehicle stolen from behind a locked and chained gate one night, with our guard dog poisoned...

message deleted

Dominick -  I stopped receiving your emails in late May, early June.  How do I get back
to receiving them?

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security