Carmelita Gardens

We've been researching Carmelita Gardens, a sustainable community in Cayo.  Has anybody done anything more than read up on it?  Taken a tour, spoken to anybody there?  We're very intrigued, but I got a little nervous after reading the blogs about Sanctuary Bay.  We're coming down in July and will be meeting with the developer.  Comments??

Thanks,
Toni

Hi Toni,

I went with a group out to the Carmelita Gardens.  I really liked what I saw.  I toured the location in Feb. 2011.  There were no models built yet but I heard they have broke ground, so that's a good sign. There will be models to walk through before you know it.

Phil Hahn is the developer. He is a wonderful human being. He has respect for the land, thus his plans reflect living in balance with nature. Anyone who keeps their land values alive during design and development gets my vote! I was fortunate enough to get to know the group after staying at the same resort and seeing them each morning during breakfast. They are very friendly.   

I have a friend that bought one of the units.  I love the idea of being off the grid. They will have a community garden that you can be part of, or not. The community will generate their own electricity and so on. Who does not love that?

The gardens are surrounded by the Maya Mountains, tropical gardens, with the Belize River surrounding the living area in a horseshoe shape. The ground is so fertile that the stakes (left over from trimming trees) they put in the ground to mark off different areas for building started to bloom again. That is so cool. The community will have an awesome garden with soil like that.

The one and only draw back that I could find based on the all the literature I brought home with me was the fact that it is quite a drive to get to the location.  And, as anyone who has been to Belize knows, the roads were horrible. The thought of rain, mud and trying to get into town may be challenging.

Phil oversees everything. If you are interested in learning more about Carmelita Gardens, may I suggest that you visit
CarmelitaBelize.com or email [email protected] 

I do have a lot of pictures, but I am getting ready to go to Costa Rica so I have to focus on that for now. 

I hope this helps and have a great time! Bring bug spray!!!!

Regards, 
LAN

Thanks so much Lan.  I've really enjoyed this blog and getting some information from those with first-hand knowledge.  Iam also in touch with someone who has bought land there and is having a house built.  Thanks for the tip on bug spray.  I'm not a great bug lover, but to live in an area I hope this is, I'll make an exception!  Hubby and I will also be bringing a hooded windbreaker for the rain; we're visiting in July, which I understand is rainy season.  Have a love time in Costa Rica!

Toni (and John) Sandler

By the way, if you are the LAN Sluder who has written so much about the area - Thank you...we love your stuff!

I would like to talk with anyone who has visited or bought property at Carmelita Gardens in Cayo San Ignasio Belize.  I am interested in the river villa or suites

@ rolfe wardner > Just to inform you that this thread is old (2011)

You might want to create a new thread with your query on the Belize forum,it might increase your chances.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers: