How to make friends in São Paulo

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in São Paulo :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in São Paulo??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Going out is always a good idea to make new friends. The local "baladas"(clubs) are full of friendly brazilians keen to meet expats. So stop thinking and go out there (don't be afraid of speaking portuguese) they love gringos and strange accents!

Good baladas in SP: Funhouse, Sonique, Bar Secreto, Hot Hot, DEdge, Vegas, Lions, Clube Gloria

Good pubs: Drosophyla, Squat, Volt

Hello. My name is. Mary am new in sao paulo I need a friend here in saopaulo

Hi Mary,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Please do not hesitate to share your expat experience on the Sao Paulo forum.

All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

Although I have recently moved to Macaé RJ, I can tell you that from my many years living in São Paulo making friends there should be no problem especially if you speak a little Portuguese. Brazilians in general just love foreigners and will flock around them at every opportunity. They will be eager to introduce all of their friends too, since they believe even knowing a foreigner will impress all of them.

Starting in your workplace is a good beginning, but you will also want to create a circle of friends outside the work setting. The best way to quickly build your social circle is to chat with everybody... the people who work at your local padaria, shops, etc., in your neighborhood. The moment you begin to speak they realize you are somebody "de fora" and they are drawn to you like a magnet.

If you are at all friendly then your circle of friends will grow very quickly. Everybody will want to know your story, where you come from and what your country is like, why you came to Brazil, what you think of their country and the Brazilian people. If you are a religious person start frequenting a church (in your neighborhood) since you will make many new friends there too. Concentrate your efforts close to where you live, travel can be time consuming and problematic in São Paulo, so you want your friends to be close by so they can visit you and you them without difficulty.

If you chat, chat, chat you will be surprised where and how you can meet people. I've met new friends at bus stops, on the bus, in shops, at church, at clinics just about everywhere you can imagine and you can do it too. Each new friend you make will likely introduce to others too.

If you can't make friends in São Paulo then you are probably locked away in your home too much... get out, circulate and talk with everybody you meet (no matter who they might be). Trust me, it really works and it's simple.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

hey ill be glad meeting people from out there
:)

Hi Mary, myname is Rey.  I am from Houston TX and new in Sao paulo too.  Are you still here?  My interest is learning Portuguese and making new friends.  [email protected] is my email.

hi im aman from hong kong i want some local young friend from sao paulo

Looking for cool friend in Sāo Paulo.
I am from Brazil but I spent my last 13 years in Canada and I feel lonely here. Miss to have good friends. Miss to go
Out and have fun.
Let's be friends!
I speak Portuguese, English, French, Spanish and some Italian.
Let's chat!

http://www.mass.gov/lwd/eolwd/multilingual-information/multilingual/multicultural-banner-flags-welcome.jpg

Hello Harethuza,

On behalf of everybody here at Expat-blog, welcome on board. I hope you will find your participation here both enjoyable and informative.

Wow, looks like we just traded spots, you in Canada for the past 13 years and me down here in Brazil for the last 13. Did you take good care of the country for me while I was away? rsrsrsrsrs

I'm sure you'll make all kinds of new friends here very quickly. I lived in São Paulo (Pirituba) for many years and I'm now in Macaé where all of my wife's family lives. I miss São Paulo, but family is important and I came to Brazil alone and have no relatives here, so I couldn't see her going through the homesickness for no good reason when I could live anywhere in this great country. Our 7 year old son is also a Macaense, he's my whole world wrapped up in one little body!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello James!

It was a pleasure to read you here. I feel happy to know we can still find crazy Canadian around the globe... The ones that are crazy enough to change the civilized Canada for the chaotic Brazil. My husband did it too but just for a little while. : )

Don't worry. I took good care of Canada in your absence. I am sure you did your best here as well. It's so brave to change countries, don't you agree? We are very lucky people. I feel blessed to have the chance to go around and see other cultures, learn new languages and make so many good friends. I love Brazil and I missed a lot... My family is here (all of it). In the other hand, I also love Canada and its equality, security and organization. Oh well, I hate the weather like almost everyone but... Nothing pays security. ; )

I kinda of forced my husband to move to my country. We decided to have a baby and I was irreducible about having him in Brazil. He was able to get a transfer within his job... 3 years in Sāo Paulo and after God knows. ... I am here now but not working yet (got here pregnant and I was waiting for our baby to get bigger to go to school). You can imagine I don't leave the house a lot so it's difficult to meet people.

I am planning to start working in January, till there my son will be almost 1 year and 9 months and he will go to day care / school. I hope I can find a good job and good friends then.

Thank you so much for your message. Very kind of you! And, I loved the way you define your love for your son... So beautiful words. I, completely, understand the feeling.

Keep in touch!

Harethuza

Hi Harethuza,

Thanks for your wonderful comments. I hope one day to be able to return to São Paulo to visit all my dear friends there and my church in Pirituba. I miss them all very much. Who knows that I won't have the opportunity to get to know both you and your husband personally one day? That would be just fantastic. Once again welcome back home!!!

Cheers,
James

Hi I come from Hong Kong too. You can contact me

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : contact details removed - please exchange in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi. Looking for friend in Sao Paulo i will be in Sao Paulo on the 15 august for 10 day any keen please message me.

Hey I'm Cathy and I live in luxembourg. Monday I will travel 2 weeks to sao paulo alone and I know it will be boring for me without someone to talk. I want to know if someone could or wants to present me sao paulo it would be great. =)

Hi, we are expats and we are struggling to make a good group of friends. That want to go out for dinner and drinks...
How you guys managed?