We have arrived!

We have been in Puerto Rico now for two weeks. I'll be blogging about life here and our experiences if anyone is interested in taking a look.

highsandlowsofexpatlife.wordpress.com/

Hi - Congratulations!!  We will arrive on 3rd June.  I'm getting so excited!  Where are you guys located?  I will check out your blog too.

Cheers,

Liz

Hi Liz,

We are located in Dorado. We have been very lucky so far! People have been very supportive and nice.

Hope your trip here is smooth!

Hi - thanks...just now perusing your blog.  It's great!!

Welcome to the island!

Just read your blog and recognized a lot from my first weeks here, ages ago.

Red lights mean nothing.

You got to learn the difference between light red and dark red. The first 10, 15 seconds of the red phase it's light red and that means that you can still pass the intersection (fast, of course). After that it's dark red and that means that 99.99% of the drivers stop somewhere around the line. :D

Siobhan_Nolan wrote:

We have been in Puerto Rico now for two weeks. I'll be blogging about life here and our experiences if anyone is interested in taking a look.

Congratulations!!!!
Yes, keep us informed how you are acclimating to the island, the culture and anything that disturbs you or makes you happy there.
I left over 40 years ago, and going back to visit family it is sometimes a bid weird how the island has changed.
Welcome to paradise
PS. Don't eat the apples, and stay away from the snake, he is a liar.

Yeah, so happy for you!  You must be excited and overwhelmed at the same time~  I will follow your blog..heading over there now.  :)

Hi Siobhan:

Hope you are settling in well.  Just saw your blog, and your statement that "consistency isn't something that happens often" is right on the money with so many things here!!

You are indeed correct about Amazon Prime - we must get an Amazon package several times per week for various goods.

Siobhan_Nolan wrote:

One note: I am a Web security person, I wanted to warn you that wordpress is a great tool, but you have to keep up on the patches, it is known to have many vulnerabilities. So do not be surprised if your blog gets hacked if you do not stay on top of the patches. Get together with your provider as to how to patch and reload the newest version.

Again, welcome.

lol............so how do u like it in pr?

Welcome to the Island & Expat.com!!  May your experiences be all positive but if any negative ones occur may something better soon follow.  Muchas suerte ( good luck) Jose

Welcome to PR! I read your blog and am shocked by the rental prices in Dorado. Do you have to live there? I live in Ocean Park which is also gated although more urban. What I love about it though is that you can actually walk or bike to many places including restaurants, museums, banks, grocery stores and outdoor markets, etc. Walkability is a rarity in Puerto Rico and my PR experience has been 100% improved since moving to the Ocean Park area. It's also a great, relaxed, friendly and close knit community. Not a day goes by when I don't run into a friend while walking my dogs and stop for a chat. Maybe consider widening your search beyond Dorado if you want a non-suburban experience. Either way though, try to enjoy the good and remember to always back your patience and perspective.
Cheers

kubla wrote:

Welcome to PR! I read your blog and am shocked by the rental prices in Dorado. Do you have to live there? I live in Ocean Park which is also gated although more urban. What I love about it though is that you can actually walk or bike to many places including restaurants, museums, banks, grocery stores and outdoor markets, etc. Walkability is a rarity in Puerto Rico and my PR experience has been 100% improved since moving to the Ocean Park area. It's also a great, relaxed, friendly and close knit community.

I would echo this. Do you really want to be in Dorado? It sounds like you might like an area where you can take the baby for a walk in a stroller, walk to the park or the grocery store, etc. Rental prices for a 3 bedroom apartment in Ocean Park, Miramar, or Condado (all very safe and highly walkable) range from $1,000-$2,000/mo, depending on the location and amenities. If you want an even more 'expat', gated complex you could try Isla Verde. I don't know prices there, but I'm guessing no more expensive than the others and it is also a very walkable area.

The reason for living in dorado is my husband is working in Barcelonita and the Irish community already here live in Dorado. Because of the Ritz hotel here and the name of Dorado beach east the rental prices seem to have been driven up. We have seen a property that we like. It's $4500 for a four bed house with a pool. Beautiful house. My husbands company are going to be paying our rent.

That is fantastic that your husband's company is paying the rent!  I wish you all the best in your new journey :)

Hi Everyone,

I know I've been quiet but this last month has been a bit slow and crazy at the same time.

I have a new blog post all about it if anyone is interested.

https://highsandlowsofexpatlife.wordpress.com/

Hi Siobhan!  Your choice of "highs and lows" as a blog title seems so apropos of your new life in Puerto Rico as described in your latest entry.  It certainly appears you've come across some unscrupulous folks in your attempt to find a home.  I hope something comes through for you.  Congrats on the car and your new mobility.  It does sound as if you've made some friends and are able to enjoy your stay in Dorado.  Have a wonderful trip back home.

Siobhan_Nolan wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I know I've been quiet but this last month has been a bit slow and crazy at the same time.

I have a new blog post all about it if anyone is interested.

https://highsandlowsofexpatlife.wordpress.com/

I saw the pictures of the house, it looks huge, did you have to sell your first born to get it?
Looks expensive!!!!