Shipping containers

Hello "planner" I was wondering if you knew of a way to get more information about these shipping containers.  Like size and cost mostly.  Also you and "Bob K" said getting your residency is easy with the right lawyer so do either of you have a recommendation?  I'm thinking of moving to Jarabacoa (La Vega) in the near future so any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

For a lawyer I can recommend Wilson Rood [email protected]   he is well priced and reliable, speaks english fluently!

I have a meeting next week with a shipper and if I can get some info I will!

I have sent you a PM on the lawyer we used for our residency as well as most of our friends and clients.

As to a shipping company we used:
Matia Arias
La Rosa Del Monte Express
Worldwide Movers
Dominican Republic
Tel: 809-685-6256
Fax: 809-682-0472   

We had a painless move (40 ft container) with them and they helped with getting the exoneration as well as handled the inspection. For the entire container not one thing missing and only one lamp shade ruined.

Bob K

Hello dlm0827.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For more interaction, a new thread has been created from your message on the Dominican Republic forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Where did you move from?

Hey Bob! Raine again :)
Did you use those movers to go from CO to DR?

Actually from Tennessee as we relocated there with a "storage condo" just before coming here.  So the DR container originated in TN. Where are you moving from?

Bob K

We are coming from Denver, CO. :)

So we are almost neighbors again. We relocated here from Conifer over 7 years ago.  But to the north coast.

Bob K

Quick question Bob. When you first talked about moving to D.R. did a lot of people support your idea or did they try to talk you out of it? It seems that a lot of folks here in N.Y. Seem to feel I'm crazy for wanting to move. I have come to the realization that all the material things I have accumulated don't seem to fulfill my level of happiness in comparison to when I'm in the caribbean. The month that I spend down there does not compare to the level of the grind of the big city.  The electricity thing, the bottle water and the carritos have not been that much of an inconvenience for me to write off the island.  Could it be that misery really loves company?  I would really appreciate your experience and any others on the blog regarding opinions of folks back in your hometowns about your initial move.

I am not Bob, but I will comment anyway. Lots of people thought I was nuts.  I've heard many many others have a similar experience.  Most people will never ever consider this kind of move so they just don't get it.  Do what is right for you, if it doesn't work out after a few months you can always go back........

Everyone family, friends, co workers thought we were crazy. The more I talked about it some of them came around.  My mom was so convinced that we were nuts that she had to come and visit 5 months after we got here. Since then she has returned at least 10 more times to visit thinking that we are amazing and she just loves it here.  Our friends that have come to visit and many others no realize that  we did the right thing and some wish they had the balls to do it as well.

We do not miss the rat race at all and after seven years here have no regrets at all. Yes you have to adjust your lifestyle, but that was for the better.

Living here is not for everyone that is for sure. I would suggest that before you decide to move you might want to spend a a couple of months here first and then decide if the place "fits" you.

Good luck and keep us posted. Oh and you are not crazy!

Bob K

Thanks Planner and Bob, you guys are always filled with great insight, much appreciated :-)

You are welcome. Let us know if you need any other info.

Bob K

A big hello from the frozen tundra of Edmonton, Ab, Canada where we had a balmy -2C this morning and snow.  Wanna trade houses?   LOL

Bob, would you be kind enough to share with Rita and myself, the name and contact information for the lawyer you used to complete your residency?

Thanks a bunch :)

David & Rita Schmidt

Hello
I was wondering if you had moved to the DR?
Wanted to ask some questions if possible.
thank you
Matt

Welcome to the forums!  Who are you asking your question of?  There are many of us here on the forum who live in the DR.

Well the original post that started it. I am planning on visiting the DR next year, my wife just got back and went with Una Vita a non profit organization that takes people but mostly high school kids so experience the DR.
I was wondering how much it cost for a shipping container vs just taking the money and using it there.
It looks like a life changing visit.
Thank you.
Matt

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Matt welcome.

I am not sure what you are asking?  Are you talking about moving here and shipping  your stuff?

We moved here 9+ years ago from the US and shipped a 40 foot container of our stuff. Lots of it was things for our villa that we were building (ceiling fans, light fixtures, washer, dryer, stove, BBQ, and such) Most this stuff you could not get here then.  However things are changing and most of what you would need you can now get here.  So yes we shipped. If we were moving today we probably would not.  Especially if we could sell our stuff back in the States before moved.

Not sure if this answered your question or not. 

Please feel free to ask away.  As Planner said many of us moved here and live here full time.

Bob K

Hi Bob
Yes very useful information. The reason I ask is when my friend who visits the DR several times a year goes she brings suitcases filled with supplies and goods for the people who helps. Each person who comes brings 2 suitcases, a carry on and a personal item. Most of the time the 2 suitcases or 1 suitcase and a carry on are filled with items that go to help.
I was wondering it shipping a container would be better, but it sounds like you can just buy the items you need instead of using it for a container.
Anyone know Lynne Gordon Moquete?
Matt

There are some charities that have special arrangements and get a container shipped at low cost.  But I can tell you normally they are expensive.  Often it is better to use the money and buy locally - this helps 2 times  - puts money in the economy supporting local business and the it helps the recipients of the goods.

Good point Planner.  Plus this way your are getting the folks things they really need instead of 200 more pencils to add to the 4,000 they already have received.

Bob K

Makes sense. Thank you for the information!!!!!
I will hopefully be there next year.

We look forward to your continued participation on this forum

Bob K

Bob you raise a good point.  There are some places and schools that get a constant supply of supplies....   For example there are schools that various truck safaris support.  Cool.  Now how about those other out of the way schools. What about those kids?

There are ways to get items directly to schools that usually don't get them.  If you are coming to the south coast I am happy to help you get supplies to those kids.  I am pretty sure Boby can  give  you ideas or help out on the north coast.  And there are others on here who know kids,  schools and areas in critical need of supplies. 

Not just school supplies either- they need basic medical supplies,  basic home items.  In many homes, people eat in rotation - there might only be  2 plates and 1 bowl for 8 people.   Cutlery - well that is hit and miss. 

You get my idea.

Yes I can help. Pat and I are currently volunteering for "STrengh for the Journey" which is a non profit afterschool and summer program for the poor kids of Sosua.  We have about 75 kids enrolled in such programs as reading, computer learning, games, Judo, dance, arts and crafts, school homework help and on and on.  It keeps the kids off the streets from 2PM to 8PM or so at night and during the summer during the day as well.

We are always looking for volunteers and DONATIONS of $$$ or supplies.  Recently a group in Canada donated 100 Spanish books for the kids to read. 

Yes this was an advertising plug :D:D:D:D:D
Bob K

Hey go right ahead.  We are currently working to get 1600 primary school kids ready for  the next school year. It starts here about mid August -  we need everything for school -   backpacks,  pencils, pens, glue, rulers, erasers, sharpeners etc etc.  HELP............

Shameless plug!!!!   :D

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of External groups / Links on the forum prohibited.

Yes here we" Sosua kids" that do that (supplies, uniforms. backpacks, and such) for over 1000 kids in the Sosua/Cabarete area .  All on donations.

Bob K

They are awesome!!!!

Yes lots of kids go to school that otherwise would not have a chance to do so.

Bob K

:):)   Awesome Job Expats!!!!! I am so happy to find the forum, I love to read the explanations and information from Bob and the Planner

Thanks honey.

Thanks

Bob K

Hi, I moved to Punta Cana from Ontario, Canada 1 year ago with my wife and son.  I had a 3 bedroom home and too much :stuff" to sell or get rid of so I moved it.  We used a very good mover who picked up our things over a 4 week period and delivered all to us at our new location.  The price was all-inclusive and not a penny more.  All items came through very good.  A little damage but nothing to worry about.  We had several garage sales before moving and the money we made at the garage sales paid for the move.  We are in an apartment and all of our stuff is stored in another apartment.  We are now in the process of buying a house and although the house is furnished, we will be able to use all of the "stuff" that we brought.  If there is anything left over, it's an easy sell for more money than what we would have received in Canada plus the cost of shipping.  It is very hard to find and very expensive to find good quality items here including furniture.  If you are planning to ship junk, then get rid of it.  You will ultimately save lots of money providing you get a good price on your shipping.  Full containers are ok, providing you can "fill" them, otherwise it gets expensive.  Send me a message if you need any further information.  Also if you need a temporary place to live in the Punta Cana area we can help there as well.  We manage apartment rentals and sales.

Cheers,

Welcome to the forums.  I see you are finding your way quite nicely.  Just be careful about self promotion honey,  good to know you are already set up!

Can we assume you did your residencia -  if so tell us your experience in the forum about residencia.  Keep us posted on how you are settling in and please comment where appropriate on other forum topics!  We welcome your participation.

DominicanadaMik welcome.

We would love to hear more about your moving and living here experience. Your trials and tribulations may help someone else who is going to relocate here

Bob K

this has been my blessing to enrolled and to be able to meet all of you woderful friends.
as soon as we get settled in SD I will start helping with english and basic Computer skills with kids and young adults.
I will be honored to help anyone with spanish as well and form a stronger bond and community for us
blessings friends

HOney this thread is from 2015!