Advice on *low cost* living in Colombo

Hi all - i'm new to the forum so greetings!   :D

I was looking for some advice on cost of living in Colombo.

I will be located in the city for approx three months later this year and need a ball park figure of cost of living in the city - many of the other estimates I have seen seem to be based on fairly well off expat salaries and for families etc. However, my situation is different as whilst I am an expat I will be a single person living on a fairly limited budget (cheap food, local public transport, no taxis etc.) and I need to keep costs down (think student standards)!!

I would need a single apartment/room/annex. I would be working in Colombo 05 district but I understand this is an expensive area so would certainly be willing to commute. On another thread someone suggested a small annex might cost around 200 US$ (per month?!) - is this realistic??

Can anyone give a rough indication of what living costs I should expect including accommodation, transport, food etc. per month.

Apologies for the general nature of the request but I'm really looking for a rough estimate per month as currently I have no idea!   :/

PLEASE STATE WHICH CURRENCY YOUR COSTS ARE STATED IN!! (LKR  / US$  / £   etc.)

Thanks in advance!

Hi, This is Aaliya, from a middle class family, Married with 2 kids, well about the budget in colombo,  for a single :-
Food daily  Rs. 750.00, Accommodation  Rs. 10,000 per month, Travelling (Bus)  minimum 5000 per month, If ure travelling in 3 wheeler s it'll cost u more, so better u get a bus route map it,ll be cheap enough ! Hope u got the reply. Ive given u a rough budget. It may cost u little more than this qute not sure. Anyway, becareful from the cheaters around the city. Take Care. My heartiest welcome to u. if u have any urther inquiries u can mail me to [email protected] ok? feel free. Bye

Hi - thanks for the info!

So you think accommodation for 10,000 per month is realistic - would this be an annex or small flat for this price? Which areas do you think I should be considering and are where are the best places to find places advertised for rent do you think?

Exactly! It would be an annexe with a room kitchen a washroom thats it. its a boarding room. or els u can find a flat/apartment for 20 - 22000/= . the best for a student is to go for lodging i guess. Area, u can find this at Dehiwala, Mt. Lavinia, areas... close to galle road.

Hi Aaliya
Can u suggest good hotels like 5 star in colombo.I need to visit 2 to 3 days .how much 1 room per day?

Rgds
Saeed

Hello there Saeed,

I doubt that you get a response from member aaliyaali, her post is from 2014. However, you may browse through the Hotels in Colombo section of the website or create a new topic on the Colombo forum so as to get relevant feedbacks.

Cheers,
Bhavna

I live in Colombo 5 I advise you to stay in OZO Colombo it's worth for the price