Safety in Lithuania

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Lithuania?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Lithuania and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi,
    For a safety point of view is not really safe specially as a foreigner. But still better then a lot of European countries .
Best regard

It depends on your location. If you're in old town in Vilnius, you should be pretty safe, if you're in bad neighbourhood at night in Panevezys, you are probably screwed. So talk to the friendly locals, ask where to go, where not to go and you'll be fine. In most cases, racists and haters in general don't advertise themselves in highly public areas like city centres, shopping malls, etc.

Hi,
    Am coming around a weekend to Vilnius ... is it ok to stay near old town area ... ?
Anything I should be concerned about ?

Any suggested hostel or hotel ?

Karolina  has mentioned basically you are screwed if any other areas ? what does that mean  .... ?

Hello everyone,

@Pss_wd, welcome to the Lithuania forum  :)

Hopefully you will get some feedback about safety in the areas you mentioned.

However, if you want infos on hostels and hotels, i suggest you create a new topic on the Lithuania forum.

Cheers,
Bhavna

Thank you very much.

Hi,

by screwed I mean that if you go to the worst neighbourhoods in Lithuania, you can't expect to be safe, no matter where you're from and who you are.

In Vilnius you'll be fine, it's one of the most open and nicest cities in the Baltics. I would simply recommend staying close to old town because it would be less of an incovenience to you as you'd be able to walk everywhere. As long as you're smart and don't go out of your way looking for trouble (starting fights, shouting at people, choosing small dark streets at night instead of well lit streets full of people), you will be just fine and have a brilliant time in Vilnius.

Can't really recommend hostels or hotels, it is very dependant on your budget. Also in Vilnius I've only stayed at the 'rock & roll' hotel which was a bit pricy but very worth it. Best 3 star hotel you'll find. It is a bit further from the old town so if you don't know Vilnius, I'd recommend something closer.

Thanks very much,   Pretty elaborate answer... I get the feeling it is more or like Riga ... had the same warning from forums .. but had a brilliant time...

I will definitely look at Rock and roll hotel you have told me ... cheers for that again ..

Hey shouting on the dance floor is permitted I guess ;)

Regards,
Pon

I think it is because nobody would be able to hear you anyway :D

And yea, it is quite similar to Riga. Similar prices, similar people, similar pretty much everything.

Hope atleast people notice me dancing  ...;( ,
Anyway looking fwd for the party week end .. need a break ....

By the way am Pon, and an architect working in London ...  and you ...

I'm Karolina,  a student interning in Bratislava for the summer.

oh what  a shame... I didn't know you when I was in Bratislava last summer... I would have shown you how I scream on the dance floor ... ;)

For those posting on this thread

The topic of this thread is safety in Lithuania.
Could we please keep to the topic.
Thank you.

Hello everyone,

As mentioned by stumpy, please let us focus on the topic here :

Christine wrote:

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Lithuania?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Lithuania and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

If you have anything else to share with a member of this thread (apart from infos related to safey in Lithuania) please do so by private messaging.

Thank you in advance, :)
Bhavna