Drainage solution required?

Hello Forum,
I have a question regards how to eradicate damp or humidity in my basement?
I had the basement knocked through, floors lowered internally, a concrete floor put in and stone walls were removed of old render and then re-pointed, a large upvc window and door were also put in, the floor was tiled also once the concrete had fully dried out. (I read that a lime mortar would have been more suited as it allows the wall to breath being softer than standard concrete mortar?)
Now the back of the basement is below ground level as the house is on a hill, I want to try and damp proof course the external wall as moisture is coming through into the basement through the lowest stones, this then has no way to escape creating damp to wooden beams, and stone?
I spoke to a builder who suggested a concrete screen so dig down around the house and disperse rain water around the screen? (seem's a bit excessive?)
I suggested to dig out a trench and build a " soak away " to drain rather than disperse rain water any suggestions or anyone had a similar proplem? (I did consider adding air bricks but obviously do not want to brick to open to winter elements?)
Regards Steve.

Hi Steve,,yes i had similar problem in my cellar,,1 wall damp patches,,my local builder dug a trench full length of wall down to foundations,,put in a waterproof rubber membrane,,inserted drainage pipe to take any water away from wall,,filled trench in,then finished it off with concrete path along wall,,same wall then insulated inside,,hope that helps? :)

Cool cheers mate.