Presentation of members in Medellin

Hello and welcome on Expat.com!

We invite the new members in Medellin and surroundings to present themselves in this discussion :)

Are you living here since some time or did you just arrive?

What brought you to Medellin? What passionates you, do you have hobbies?

Thanks for your presentation and see you soon on expat-blog!

Hi everybody,
my name is Brigitte and I live in Colombia since 2004. I actually live in Medellín and I'm Italian and Spanish teacher in downtown. I also take care about accommodations for tourists in Medellín and in Sapzurro (border Colombia-Panama, Darién Jungle, Carribbean Sea). I love reading, dancing, playing piano, traveling, snorkeling, kayaking and knowing new people from everywhere. (moderated: no free ads please)

Hello Brigitte,
I am planning on visiting Medellin from December 24 through January with the intent of a permanent move to yoiur city.  I know some Colombians but none of them have contacts in Medellin.  Well, I do know one, but have not heard back from him as yet, so he may not be interested in helping me.  Or maybe my email just got lost...
Anyway, I see that you teach Spanish and I do need some more of that, but more importantly I need to connect with people who can help intorudce me to Medellin and its charms. I am "retirement" age but since I have been self-employed most of my life, do not plan on retiring, just finding a simplier way of life where I can be productive and have a lot of fun. Fun is important to me.  Can you help?
Juliana

If anyone needs advice on things to do outside Medellin, please contact me as I'll be glad to help. Keep in mind that Antioquia is not just Guatapé and Santafé de Antioquia.  There are many other great places to enjoy.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Currently live in FL and Very anxious to move to Medellin.  I love the city, the people, the food, the climate.  It's a beautiful place. My goal is to move there 2012 and I am trying to get as much info as possible beforehand.  Coming back to visit in Feb 2012.  Would love to meet English-speaking Colombians and also expats who will give great advice on moving/living there.

Hola,
I'm a local but have met quite a few expats and have been their tour guide and afterwards, their new local friend.  I'll be glad to help you with advice.  Feel free to contact me.
Regards,

Andrés

I'm more of a snow bird than expat but each year in the last 6 I have spent considerable time in Central and South America. In March 2012 I  located in Medellin and enjoyed cycling, percussion and salsa lessons and getting to know the city and its regions and meeting Paisas. I travelled to Sapzuro and cycled the coffee region. I am returning in February 2013 for more of the same and some new experiences.  I will be available for chats and coffee. I don't work any longer but have some interesting hobbies and have started a cycling project in Cajamarca Peru. My career background is mainly education and management, UI speak pasable Spanish, enjoy a beer and a dance and am happy to explore both city and countryside. Do make contact - I'll be around from Feb 3, 2013 until after Easter. :cool:

Alan, Nice to hear that you are making the move.  I plan on visiting Medellin yet again this February to look for more permanent living quarters and to investigate continued Spanish lessons and some salsa. I am traveling with a friend and plan on visiting some of the expat hangouts in Medellin.  We already have arrangements for our current stay and we plan on looking for an apartment or home in Pablado centro. I plan on continuing my visit to Bogota where I have friends, there and in LaVega.  Maybe we could all hookup in Parque Lleras one night.

Carl Salvo

Sounds Good Carl - are you on Facebook, You could add me, Alan Malarkey or pm me with an email address. good wishes, Alan

Carl Salvo wrote:

Alan, Nice to hear that you are making the move.  I plan on visiting Medellin yet again this February to look for more permanent living quarters and to investigate continued Spanish lessons and some salsa. I am traveling with a friend and plan on visiting some of the expat hangouts in Medellin.  We already have arrangements for our current stay and we plan on looking for an apartment or home in Pablado centro. I plan on continuing my visit to Bogota where I have friends, there and in LaVega.  Maybe we could all hookup in Parque Lleras one night.

Carl Salvo

Hello everyone. Kinda a new poster here. Moving to Medellin in Feb. 2012. Would like getting to know people like myself. Semi retired, down to earth farm kid and lovin' it.

Hello Linda

I plan to be in Medellin for a couple of months from mid march to indulge twin interests of cycling and salsa. I have located some salsa teachers - you could check the Medellin threads on Couchsurfers and I am planning to take some private lessons - Im around intermediate cross body and I have done a little cali style. I would be happy to hook up, maybe partner with you if you are back around that time. I can speak spanish but am from the UK, good luck, Alan

Medellin here I come.....Friday, February 3rd is the day 2:30 is the time.  Plenty of time to prepare for "HAPPY HOUR" in Medellin. Will be staying in the vicinity of Parque Lleras/Zona Rosa and would like to meet up with some of you expats at Juan Valdez, Le Bon or maybe a coffee.  If you have any other special places people meet please share.

Carl

i will be in medallin in july 2012. looking for work. marc

OK I have landed in Medellin and have now completed my first week of 9. I'm loving it. I have a great apartment share in Belen and I have been cycling 3 times and had 2 salsa lessons as well as a little exploration down town. If anyone is interested they are welcome to catch my blog hereBLOG and my photos here PICS I can be called on 3147946511 or 2657091 or  email at malarkey at tiscali dot co dot uk. I'd be happy to share some time and ideas with anyone living in Medellin. Have fun if I don't see you, good wishes, Alan

Hi Everyone, my name is Russ and I am moving to South America sometime in July of this year.  I am a retired US Government worker, and I believe that Medellin will be my oasis in the desert.  I have decided that my first year in Medellin I would like to study Spanish at one of the schools there (if anyone knows of a school that trains their students well, and their details, I would very much appreciate that).  I guess that I would also want to live near the school for ease of purpose, so I would appreciate the information on that subject also.  I am originally from Wisconsin, (yes, a German-American dairy farmer and Green Bay Packer Cheese Head),however, I was working quite awhile in California before my retirement. My interests are varied, however, some of those interests include reading real estate books, travel, drinking Dewars, and constantly seeking out ways to make additional nest egg money. I have strong views on politics, religion, and social ills which (thank God in heaven), I always keep to myself. I am coming alone, so I am open to new companions and friendships.  I probably need some new clothes, should I buy those before I come?  I would appreciate any good tips or knowledge that you expat veterans would like to pass on to me, I hope to meet you all soon!

Hello Russ.  I too intend to be moving to Medellin in about September/October.  I'm in Seattle right now and do speak some Spanish learned mostly in class.  When I get to Medellin I will hire a tutor because that is the BEST way to actually learn to speak (and hear) the language.  If you don't have any Spanish at all, maybe a school and classroom is the best place to start.  But if you've lived in CA for any time I'm sure you handle some of the language.  I was in Medellin for 3 weeks in January and picked up a tutor.  At $10/hour he was very cost effective, and I can say I learned more from him in a few sessions than any class I every spent my time in.  If he's not available when I get back, I'll be looking for another.  Schools in Medellin are pretty limited in number and fairly pricy for what you get.
Re a place to live - you will hear a lot about Poblado, the high rise section of the city.  I prefer the "real" neighborhoods like Estadio or Laureles.  And it is so darn easy to get everywhere on the Metro or busses that it really doesn't matter how close you live to a school/tutor.  I guess the best thing is to have a tutor in your own house, or next door.
Clothing?  Medellin is a fashion capital.  I would say to buy it there.  What do guys need in Medellin anyway?  Slacks, shirts, shoes.  Lucky people, men. 
There aren't very many "older" expats there.  Lots of young ones though.  Our numbers are growing (old guys).  I prefer to be in touch with the expat community, but not  living in any enclave with them.
Don't take my word as any gospel because I am not living there yet.  Unlike you I have opinions and spill them everywhere when I am allowed to.

There now is an overnight ferry boat between Colon, Panama & Cartagena, Colombia (3 round trips per week). Does anyone know what the bus is like from there to Medellin and maybe on to Quito, Ecuador? Safety etc.? Any advice? Sincerely,medio de camino

there is also a new airline in colombia, viva colombia, with cheap flights starting at $39 between major cities.  just fyi.

Hey everyone, i just moved from Florida a couole months ago, Im currently residing in Medellin. I love the city i have been here before but its def different living here. i would love any tips on finding a job i recently graduated computer network engineer and if anyone has any websites or places to apply i would really appreciate it. Thanks :)

Hi Luna2012,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for this intro.

I would suggest you to start new topic on the Medellin forum regarding your job search.

Thank you
Christine

hello Luna, how are you ? I just saw you are here in medellín. I am from medellín but I live in spain. I am actually here in medellín for christmas and until next 23 april 2013. I know you are new here in my city and i want to help you in anything you need. just let me know. I hope to hear rom you soon. take care, eddie.

Hi everyone,
I'm Richard from California originally then Portland Oregon US. I've been in Medellin about two weeks.  I have made many Colombian friends, but no ex-pats.  I speak both languages fluently.  I'm very active and love to play basketball, so any of you who like to, let me know.  I'm a teacher by trade so teaching languages is easy to me.  I'm here hopefully till August of 2013.  I'm kind of living low and relaxing, kind of looking for work, but not at all desperate.  I have a job waiting for me in September in the US, so I don't mind using these months as more vacation.  I really hope to meet up with some of you so let me know if there is a social this weekend. I'm ready to socialize with new people and cocktails!!

Like where?  I've been to both of those places.  Have you gone hand gliding?  Is it worth it?
Richard

Hello everyone,

I am living in Colombia for almost 5 years.  I spent the first 2 years in Santa Marta and the last 3 in the medellin and Oriente areas.  I am currently living in El Retiro and have a business there and in Santa Marta.  We manage furnished apartment rentals in the santa marta area.  Here in el Retiro we also have a real estate business but focused on Sales of houses, fincas and lots.

I love to play racquetball and tennis and have few friends here even though I have family and my wife here with me.. I would like to be able to meet with some expats and chat in english as I often get frustrated with my half broken spanish.  I am a dual citizen and would love to see the rest of the world with my wife..

I await responses...

Miguel

Miguel,

My name is Carl and I just read your post.  I am from Florida but right now I am in Medellin for business.  I  came across a site, expatinformationguide.com. It might be quite useful to you for marketing your apartments.

Carl

Hi, Everyone. 
I've been readying all the posts here and those who are moving to Medellin.  I will be visiting Medellin in September and October of 2013 with intentions of finding a place to settle.  I have a little Spanish and am currently enrolled in a Spanish class.  I am of retirement age but have been self employed for the most part so really don't expect to be "retired" much but want to live a slower kinder life.
When I originally started this journey I was looking at Panama but the more I read and researched Colombia and especially the Medellin area, the more I'm convinced its Colombia for me.  And, to really seal the decision, I have connected with a Gringo/Colombian couple online who have offered to help me settled in!
I like write and paint.  My hobby/passion is art quilts.  I paint on textiles and create handpainted fabrics to make into quilts.  I'm passionate about living healthy and keeping fit.
You that are already in Medellin keep posting.  Thanks
Patti

I am originally from Colombia. I like to welcome foreigners to my city.

César.

Hi Patty,
I had also considered Panama for quite a while until I went to Medellin, then there was no comparison.  Medellin was so much better in many ways.  Haven't moved there yet but trying to get there this year, maybe in the summer. I plan to take Spanish classes also.  Let's keep in touch - maybe we can meetup in Medellin.  :-)  I teach Zumba and would like to teach there, so you can come to my classes to stay fit.  :-)

Cesar.. Thank you for the kind welcome to your country.

Planacruise... I would like that.  Let's stay in touch. 

Patti

Hi All.

My name is Brian and I am an Australian. I visited Medellin over one and half years and really loved the place. I met a local who lives im Medellin but comes from salamina. We are now a couple. I wish to move and live with her in Medellin.

I guess I just wanted to say hi and if possible talk and meet with other Australians who live in Medellin.

Thanks

My friend Torus is from Melbourne and he is currently staying in Medellín.

Nice to hear that a fellow Aussie from Melbourne is staying in Medellin. I hope he is enjoying your Beautiful city.

Nice to hear from you Cesar

Muchas Gracias.

Hello Elkfarmer,
I am a straight, male gringo from Indiana, now single, retired and living in Bogota.  However, I do not really like this city and want to relocate to Medellin.  I will be in Medellin in early May ... want to meet-up?
Robert Duke
[email protected]
321.491.6475 (Claro)

Did you send this message to me or to another person. Lemme know pls. If you wanna add me to your skype, mine is: cesar.augusto.murillo.hoyos. I am from Medellín. Well, I live here.

César.

Hola mi nombre es maria vivo en medellin ,,es mi país de origen,si vienes a vivir a medellin,yo te puedo ayudar a conseguir una escuela para aprender español,y si nesecitas ropa también puedo acompañarlo a comprar,con mucho gusto,me dará mucho gusto conocerlo y ayudarle,espero tu respuesta

@ cariñosa > Can you please post in english on this english speaking forum?

To whom are you talking to please? Also note that all posts here are quite old (2013).

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi All

I just arrived in Medellin one week ago. I am a photojournalist here working until August 6th both with NGOs and on personal projects.
I photograph healers and expats.. You can see my work here: www (dot) CassiAlexandra (dot) com. Give me a shout if you would be interested in being photographed for either of these.

Thank you! Cassi Alexandra

We too noticed that the Medellin posts are pretty old.  Hope there are still expats left in Medellin!  We are coming down from Dec. 30th to Jan. 16th, 2015 as our first visit.  We have been taking our time first researching, then blogging to expats on our "long list" and then hooking up on a first trip.  This is slow, but really has worked out well for us.  Uruguay is still on our short list, but we have heard great things about Colombia.  We would love to have some drinks or a meal with English-speaking Medellin expats who could tell us about their experience.  The forums are great but there's no substitute for eye-contact and good times.  Thanks all!
Cheers,

Howdy. I am a new member. My name is Jairo. I'll be visiting Medellin, Armenia & surrounding towns. I am open for suggestions. Thank you.