Culinary / pastry art study

Hi,
I'm 37 years old and intend to move to Canada by taking up a qualification in baking/pastry art in a Canada college and then work in the same field upon graduating.

1) Please advise if this is a possible route in spite of me having a prior degree in business/commerce.
2) Which areas/provinces that I should look at to do baking course and will have high level of such job vacancies?
3) I plan to move over with my spouse and child too. Possible to get approval on applications together?

Thanks very much in advance for advice and suggestions  :)

Hello Sunshine_sunshine and welcome to Expat.com :)

While waiting for members to advise you, I suggest you read our Living in Canada guide to gather a lot of useful informations.

Regards
Kenjee

Thank you kenjee😊

Check this website out http://www.culinaryschools.org/internat … g-schools/

One thing for certain, you want to be in major city as that's where tourism industry is bustling and therefore more cafes, restaurants and hotels - which translates to more job openings potentially. Typical areas are GTA (greater toronto area), Niagara (pretty standard, Niagara college is also nearby there and may have a  culinary program), Montreal is a great place for the food scene - its like a different country within Canada and lastly Calgary is up and coming (with Banff nearby is also a major tourist attraction).

Sunshine_sunshine wrote:

1) Please advise if this is a possible route in spite of me having a prior degree in business/commerce.
3) I plan to move over with my spouse and child too. Possible to get approval on applications together?

As to questions 1 and 3, my say is that Canada has been tightening their immigration process. Its getting harder and harder compared to before a let's say anything 5 years or more ago.

If are hoping to get a PR before going to enrol in the culinary school, it may take a long time. You've got to depend on your previous work experience - I am assuming something else like business admin or accounting or finance or something white collar. Furthermore as you do not have any job offer yet, you'll probably may be of least priority to be given an invitation to apply for PR (through the new Express Entry program). But this is the only way to ensure that your spouse and child too get the PR along with you. Anyways, it doesn't hurt to try.

The other option is to enroll in the culinary course and bring your spouse and child along. Your spouse can apply for an open work permit (open meaning he can work with any company) and your child can go to school. The danger here is to ensure that the culinary program is more than 2 years so that you can get a PGWP (post grad work permit) that last for 3 years. If your program is below 8 mths, you don't qualify for PGWP and if its beyond 8 mths but less than 2 years, than  you get a work permit that's as long as the duration of your studies e.g. if your course was 13 months, then your work permit will be 13 mths (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work … ad-who.asp). Now if you did go for a program that was 2 years or more and you eventually obtain your PGWP, then quickly apply for a PR when you have that on hand. It'll be easier to obtain it by than, as you will have had (1) a canadian education and (2) work permit and perhaps even (3) a job

Now in both cases, you have to ensure that you have sound finances to back you up in your endeavour. If that is the case, I would recommend that you go through an immigration consultant. Let me know and I'll recommend 2 which you can the compare their advice and rates.

Thank you so much philipyeo

Hi! I have a similar situation. I want to go to Canada for culinary studies and plan to apply for PR at the completion of my program. I want to enroll for 2019. Any leads on a program that ensures PR. 
And thank you for your previous comments. They help.