Mold problem in the Andean highlands

I am concerned with the mold problem in the Andean highlands (Quito, Cuenca, Loja, Cotacachi) I've been reading about quite a bit recently. Can anyone comment on this?

miguelito56 wrote:

I am concerned with the mold problem in the Andean highlands (Quito, Cuenca, Loja, Cotacachi) I've been reading about quite a bit recently. Can anyone comment on this?

Guess not, must be a rumor.

Mold will grow almost anywhere in a temperate or tropical climate if there is enough moisture, no exposure to sunlight and little ventilation.  Just as in the States, if you have a leaky roof that allows some water in, soaking wood and plaster and drywall, mold can grow.  It's not a big problem, it's certainly been blown way out of proportion in the US.

In hot humid climates like Panama many closets will have light bulbs in them that are constantly left on, not for light but to keep mold from growing in the otherwise damp dark humid environment.  This isn't necessary in the Ecuadorian highlands.

In the several years I lived in Quito we did not have any mold problems but then again we did not have leaky roofs.

See http://epi.publichealth.nc.gov/oee/mold/conditions.html

"The key to mold control is moisture control" -- Abraham Lincoln

Should have left the garage light on here in the precipitation capital of the US.

Have also had it grow in the bathroom. Easily taken care of with bleach solution

Due to an indoor flood caused by a busted water heater and due to lack of ventilation (kept windows closed due to being on a bus route), mold grew from the flood-compromised carpeting in my condo's bedroom last year.

I had the bedroom walls scraped and painted, and the carpeting removed and replaced with faux wood flooring.

Total remediation, including a new/improved water heater and painting the apartment-entrance walls to which the mold eventually spread... about $1,200.

I will never carpet an apartment in Quito.

cccmedia in Quito