Romanian cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Romania?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Romania and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Hello myself bieng a Canadian Chef  just moved here to brasov in march .i found romanian cuisine a little bland. I  have been cooking International cuisine for the better part of 25 yrs.from country cooking/thai asian/greek/french cuisine.i do really enjoy the BBQ mich.there is a place in the market where i shop for some of the best fresh fruit and vegetables and find the smell of fresh bbq mich is to good to pass fresh bread and a dollop of mustard and a cold beer is soooooo good.not sure how good it is for you but once in a while you have to indulge..my better half has been eating my cuisine for 10 years now she has gotton use to having a little heat and spice to the food i serve her.however everyone has there own flavour spicy/hot or bland its all up to you..Enjoy.Patrick

Mici I love with mustard and a bere

Yes a cold beer is a must for mic . I was at a rest downtown last week and I ordered ribs. I wanted to go back to the kitchen and smack the cook  in the head for serving me these unedited fatty tough ribs.do they not know how to prepare this product. Me as a chef was very upset and embarrassed .

The RO cuisine is like you aptly put "bland" and 'borrowed" from the Turks and the Greeks. They have very few they can call it their own, and those too are less than appealing.

I like their mici with bread and mustard :)

Ciorba de burta  :top:

"CUISINE" nu exista is Romania. there is tasty food and good fruits/veggies. But 'cuisine' is the wrong word. My opinion and I've been in RO 3 years.

Rata Rich wrote:

"CUISINE" nu exista is Romania. there is tasty food and good fruits/veggies. But 'cuisine' is the wrong word. My opinion and I've been in RO 3 years.

I would have to agree with you.  There are indeed tasty dishes, but the majority of it is stolen/borrowed from other neighboring countries/regions.  Also a lot of it comes from Romania's history of of being part of the Ottoman empire I believe.

One of the first dishes I had when I came here was ciorba de fasole cu afumatura (Sour bean soup with smoked pork) with a hot pepper and red onion on the side.  It remains one of my favorites today.

There's quite a few Romanian dishes that I just can't stand, such as mici.  I find it utterly awful.  Also there's been the scandal/accusations that horse meat is being used to produce it.  This, along with the EU export ban on mici to other countries concerns me.

Romaniac

romaniac wrote:
Rata Rich wrote:

I would have to agree with you.  There are indeed tasty dishes, but the majority of it is stolen/borrowed from other neighboring countries/regions.  Also a lot of it comes from Romania's history of of being part of the Ottoman empire I believe.

One of the first dishes I had when I came here was ciorba de fasole cu afumatura (Sour bean soup with smoked pork) with a hot pepper and red onion on the side.  It remains one of my favorites today.

There's quite a few Romanian dishes that I just can't stand, such as mici.  I find it utterly awful.  Also there's been the scandal/accusations that horse meat is being used to produce it.  This, along with the EU export ban on mici to other countries concerns me.

Romaniac

And for those who choose not to consume pork Romanian dishes amount to grand total of null. As you might've come across here Pork is the staple choice of meat and for those who refrain from it are left with a few choices of dishes which can be Chicken based or God forbid Lamb based. There's always the technique we use where we substitute Pork with Chicken but in the end the food is still bland and poorly seasoned.