Prescription medication

I have a prescription for simvastatin for high cholesterol. It's almost run out. Any replacements or suggestions here in Ubud/Bali?

Hi

Try to find in Century or Guardian

Thanks my friend. i will give then a try.

That advice is probably best.
A quick search shows it is legally available in Indonesia, so you should have no serious difficulties getting it, probably without prescription.
If you can't get it directly, pop to a doctor but they'll probably charge you a lot more for it.

Avoid generic drugs as there is little serious control over quality.

Hi Billy

Guarantee you will have no problem when buy either in Century or Guardian.  I often buy for my Mom and no need prescription for this.

In fact I suggest you buying in Century and become a member.  Next shop then you will get 5% discount for anything you buy in Century.

tambunandesy wrote:

Hi Billy

Guarantee you will have no problem when buy either in Century or Guardian.  I often buy for my Mom and no need prescription for this.

In fact I suggest you buying in Century and become a member.  Next shop then you will get 5% discount for anything you buy in Century.

Good post  - I forgot about their members card.
I use both from time to time, and have found them to be polite, efficient and helpful.
Their products are all originals, so there are no issues with dodgy drugs.

As a note, you can get hold of many normally prescription drugs over the counter here. Handy for people such as the OP who know exactly what they need and are experienced in using it.
However, I would normally suggest going to a doctor before buying any less usual medication.

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.

Here in Ubud, for non "over the counter" drugs requiring a prescription your best bet is to stop by Ubud Clinic right at the Campuan Bridge.

Ubudian wrote:

Here in Ubud, for non "over the counter" drugs requiring a prescription your best bet is to stop by Ubud Clinic right at the Campuan Bridge.

Roy's advice, as usual, is correct.
It's always wiser to visit a doctor first, but you probably won't be refused any drug you ask for by name unless it's seriously dangerous or open to abuse.

THANKS FOR THE HELP. WILL STOP THERE AND CHECK IT OUT.

BILL

When you stop by, ask if Dr. Wayan is in.  He's been my personal physician since I moved here many moons ago and a wonderful GP physician.  I owe my life to that wonderful man, and bloody good Doc, but that's another story.

Got your message too late but will ask next time. The clinic only had one of the drugs and in a smaller dosage but at a very good price, thanks again for your help. You have helped me before and I am thankful for all your help.

Thanks for saying "thanks."  Much appreciated! 

Cheers, Roy

I go to Kimia Pharma on the Bypass in Sanur and just get it without any prescription. Dont remember anymore how much I paid, only I was surprised how cheap it was

Marc

Just jumping in on this one with a very similar query.

Can anyone direct me to where I might be able to lookup if a particular medication is available in Bali?

Also- are prescriptions from foreign doctors from Australia accepted, or would we need medicine prescribed by a local GP?

Thanks

tcollins wrote:

Just jumping in on this one with a very similar query.

Can anyone direct me to where I might be able to lookup if a particular medication is available in Bali?

Also- are prescriptions from foreign doctors from Australia accepted, or would we need medicine prescribed by a local GP?

Thanks

What are you after?
If it isn't an abused drug, you'll probably get it easily.
If it's a commonly abused drug - probably via a doctor.

My wife has Asthma, and I am assuming these medications would be reasonably common.

She and my daughter also have Eczema (skin condition) that requires a steroid cream and occasionally tablets.

Just curious if we would simply visit a GP once in Bali to arrange a prescription once we run out of our initial supplies.

Hi

Just share with you. I don't know what asthma medicine you after.  My son has asthma n need phummicol n ventolin for routine nebulizer.  I just go to Century n at first they will ask if I already know how to use it. As long I am sound familiar then they will give to us.

Wish this could help you.

That prior advice, while useful for someone in Jakarta, isn't much help for a family here on Bali.

On Bali there are many very good hospitals and private clinics...all with pharmacies (called apotik here).  Just Google and contact one or more about getting your prescriptions renewed, and if required, an appointment with one of their doctors.

Asthma is far less common here, but you should have no problem buying the inhalers from a pharmacy. If you can't just pop to a doctor and you'll get them. Ubudian's advice about Bali is usually spot on.
I've seen the odd person using one, so I know they're available.

I had eczema when I was a kid, and it looks as if my son has it now. I had to get the required medication from a doctor for that one, but this was the first time, so some apotiks might very well have it when I get around to looking.

One trick, and something I do.

The apotik's staff may not be able to understand you very well, so take a picture of the product you want, and details regarding dose/strength.

Other than that, take the last one you got,

Added - if you can get it without going to a doctor or hospital, it'll probably be a lot cheaper, but NEVER use back street places. Their products might not be as real as they look.

These are all reputable places, all with good staff, and you can be sure you're getting what you want, not a fake version.

http://www.sekarguna.co.id/assets/user/images/branches/partner.png

Excellent advice- thanks