IT Senior Software Developer -- what am I missing?

Aloha from Hawaii!  My name is Chris, I am seeking to re-locate to Bucharest as soon as possible.  I've done a lot of research already about cost-of-living, economy, visas/work permits, etc.

I've got 20+ years as a Software Developer/Manager, and by all accounts Romania has a shortage of IT talent, what with Romania being such an outsourcing hotspot for western Europe and the Romanian youngsters moving elsewhere for higher salaries.

I understand from my Romanian friend (she has a PhD in Human Resources and works at a multi-national company) that foreign IT people sometimes get 'insultingly high' salaries.  I am not interested in this level of salary.

I have done the research on payscales that Romanian developers with equivalent experience tend to receive, and have set my requirements accordingly.

For a few weeks I have had CVs posted on bestjobs.ro and ejobs.ro (thanks to thread a found on this site!), and to date I received one phone call to come in for an interview the next day, and a few views of my CV.  I get much better responses from companies here in the U.S., but I don't want to work here!

Is there perhaps some cultural subtlety that I am missing?  Or is it simply that Romanian companies do not wish to hire non-Romanians?  I've seen a few hints of that in the forums.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.

Chris

DId you ever make it to Bucharest? If you still want to go we might have an opening for you.

No, l haven't made it there yet, and Yes! I am still quite interested.

What sort of position are you looking to fill?

The rules here in Romania is that a company is required to prove that they could not hire a Romanian for the job. It's kind of hassle for them. They will do it, but they have to do things like advertise for the position for so long and do interviews and stuff before they can justify hiring a non-Romanian. Are you still looking in Bucharest? I'm in Brasov and I know several open positions here for your level of work.

SGV1 wrote:

DId you ever make it to Bucharest? If you still want to go we might have an opening for you.

If you would, please post any openings you have in the JOBS section so any interested expats can find it.  Thanks

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Hi,

Quite interesting, as you are saying I thought that there is a shortage of IT staff so, it does not really make sense that they do not call you. I've been searching for some time, but unfortunately not in the IT sector, and I always envied the IT guys...

Hello

Which languages do you use and on which platforms? Do you have C++ & Unix plus one of the main relational databases (i.e. sybase, oracle, postgress)?

claudeyc wrote:

Hello

Which languages do you use and on which platforms? Do you have C++ & Unix plus one of the main relational databases (i.e. sybase, oracle, postgress)?

If you are looking to hire someone, please post the opening in the JOBS section as mentioned before. Thanks.