Safety in Congo

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Congo?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Congo and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I lived in Pointe Noire from Dec 2012 thru to March 2015. On the whole I felt comfortable. We did however have one incident. Golden Rule, never assume you are always safe in Africa.

Dont leave the environs of the built up areas and venture out, thinking all will be well. We took a walk down the beach, south from La Brasserie Resto on the Wharf area and there were 3 of us. We we assaulted by a doped up local with a machete who wanted watches money cellphones and sunglasses. easy pickings.

I backed up into the sea as most locals are non swimmers On reporting this to the police we were told that this happens frequently in the similar place.

If one ventures out to Pt Indienne or south to Mahldondo Lodge. No problems.

Be cautious as a western expat especially when driving as you are seen as an easy target for extortion of money for  infractions. Easy way for them to supplement their own income.

We lived in Centreville and didnt have a night guard. In all the time we never had an incident. Make sure however that you have a secure establishment. All 3 adjoining properties had guards