Retired American coming soon - maybe !

Hello All,
I am Frank, from San Francisco, I have been living in Phnom Penh Cambodia for several years because my US social security isnt enough to live comfortably in most places,       I was recently told that the falling euro now makes it affordable for me to live in Cyprus which is a Much Nicer place than Cambodia      I have been researching and emailing for weeks now collecting varied opinions..
Its a Big Step for an older single man, but I think I am going to take a chance and come to Cyprus in the coming months - first half of 2015.        Are there any retired Americans on this board who would be willing to help me get settled ?    I want only to live modestly and enjoy some fresh air for a change,
I am balifranki at gmail

many thanks

good luck Frank.... this board isnt too active lots of readers but not that many who comment - so i hope someone will answer the call and respond that can help you  - but in the meantime if there is anything i can help with please feel free to ask away.

Hi Frank,

I'm in Limassol.

The falling euro is a double edged sword.  Almost everything in Cyprus is imported, twice!  Once into Greece, then again into Cyprus.

The cost of living over the last 8 years or so is astronomic, and we now have the dubious honor of some of the highest retail prices in the world, never mind Europe.

I would suggest you come for a two week holiday first and have a look around.  Paphos, on the west of the island has an established retiree community, with golf courses and the normal retiree circuit of activites.   Limassol, is a more younger industrial town.  Laranca the same.  Aya Napa/Protaras on the east of the island is seasonal, so dead as the mythical dodo 6 months of the year.

So, come for a holiday and check us out.

If you drop me line when your here it would be my pleasure to take you for a tour of Limassol and a beer!

Regards,

Bill.

Thanks Bill Walker

Hello Bill,
Thanks for your response = and the invite !

thats bad news about prices and good advice about a inquiring visit, however, I cannot afford a holiday like that - a rt ticket on Qatar costs almost 2000usd.     

I have to step off the edge and either sink or swim.     Its a tough decision indeed.    High prices but low rents ?

I have to say that we came here from Malta 8 months ago and was also worried about the prices and costs of living but I neednt have done so- as its actually proved to be 15-20% cheaper than Malta over all. - which did surprise us - for us anyway and that includes paying a substantial sum for private healthcare... which was essential for the yellow slip.

I did the numbers for our budget and spends etc they all stacked up nicely and was pleasantly surprised.

What is the Yellow Slip ?      another consideration for me ?

its the Alien Registration Certificate.... totally unneccesary for EU Nationals in reality... it doesnt seem to offer any advantages or benefits over not having one...

but as an american in your case am not sure what the implications are of not having it..

but just as an aside you say that the falling euro makes it beneficial for you to move  - what will you do if/when it eventually gets propped up again and becomes strong  - or at least stronger than now ?

Toon,
Re euro stability : Dont discourage/confuse me !     this is a hard enough decision as it is !       I figure it will be at least a year before the euro value rises, and by that time I will be established there and able to roll with it.     

I was just reading about health insurance - I will need proof of same to get Long Term Resident Permit according to the fine print on the govt form at http://www.cyprusvisa.eu/assets/MLT1.pdf  .    At first I balked at the requirement, but now I think its probly not a bad idea for a old guy alone.    Some sources say that basic plans can be had for reasonable prices - can you comment ?   of course it is a individual determination by the insurance issuer and the applicant, but do you have any notion of the overall range, like exorbitant, rip off, bargain ?

Its so frustrating trying to get accurate, up to date (most pages have NO date )   information.

in my experience so far we (m58 f56) pay €615 each per yr for the bronze package (Abbeygate)  but i know recently and for a fact that you can ask and get a really cheap package via Top Quotes if you ask for a package solely for immigration purposes..... €175. some friends of mine did this only last week

but then conversely we were also quoted €10k from one insurer.... so you need to shop around for a package that suits you and your needs

I wasnt trying to put you off or discourage you - just was interested n your thinking  = it is a beautiful country and cheaper than we expected...

we intend to keep our current policy for the balance of the cover then downgrade.... and another snippet here is that once you have been here legally for 5 years you can get the free state provided cover the same as a local national  - i know for sure that it applied to EU nationals but not sure about non EU - so for us we will cover ourselves for the next 4.5 yrs then utilise the free service...

I was also a little disturbed at the fact that when some friends who work here part time  - were told not to bother with private healthcare they didnt need it as they work - but the regulations & legislation here clearly states that you need to have contributed 3 years to get the free state care. - so i guess it depends on who you see when you apply for the ARC.

Toon,

i think i need to verify everything i find on the web to avoid unpleasant surprises upon arrival.

is http://www.cyprusvisa.eu/  a reliable up to date source of information ?

on one of the pages on that site it says
Category F:
Persons who possess and have fully and freely at their disposal a secured annual income, high enough to give them a decent living in Cyprus, without having to engage in any business, trade or profession. The annual income required should be at least CY£5,600 for a single applicant

is that still relevant ?      and just what is that currency and what is it worth now?

thanks for your attention

frank

The conversion rate used is  approx €1.70 to the old Cypriot pound....so thats approx €9500 or at todays rates $10350

they do like to be sure that you wont become a burden on the state - and that you have sufficient to live on... but in all honesty it does depend on who you see when you apply - tis a bit of a lottery

for example some friends who applied recently werent even asked about their income levels at all - just that they worked - had social security numbers and tax numbers... the actual income levels were nowhere near the above figures.....

the site you quote is what we used and seems to be accurate but i suspect much is lost in interpretation

...coming soon - for sure !   
I have my one-way ticket on Qatar Air, arriving on July5.    and an ongoing ticket to Athens for end of Sep just in case.
I have a place to stay in Paphos for the first month, during which i will have to find a 3mos or longer rental, so I can apply for residency.     
I plan to rent a car for the first few weeks = any suggestions most welcome.   for ex, is it better to rent at Larnaca or Paphos ?     
    Clothes are inexpensive here in cambodia, so I will add to my sparse wardrobe .  Any suggestions on what else I might consider bringing with me ?       
I am a bit apprehensive about this - it feels like a Big Move to do alone.   
What other planning ought i be doing ?
thanks for your help.
Frank

aha well done and good luck on the trip...

you will be arriving in the tourist period so property may be at a premium  but there is plenty of it.... longer the term the cheaper it gets  - further inland is cheaper too

i dont think it matters too much there are deals to be had so you will need to shop around - however a guy i know does hire cars for a flat rate of €15 for a day and it doesnt matter what time of year it is - its a flat rate all year round...

clothes here are expensive but you can find markets and buy and sell pages in facebook.

there are probably lots to consider and its a broad subject as to what else to bring...

am assuming you will be traveling with just a few cases so space for your "stuff" will be limited?

dont be to apprehensive - it is daunting  - it is a big move - especially on your own - but dont let that put you off - Cyprus is an absolutely gorgeous place to live...

are you arriving Paphos or Larnaca...am assuming Larnaca - depending on where you are staying or intending to stay - Paphos is a 2hr drive from Larnaca but the road is superb.....

registration
connection if utilities - water electric internet (for tv and web)
maybe a cheapo mobile
taxation
life insurance cover and healthcare

i guess they are the main items

as for what else to bring...not sure.. we sold up everything to come here - only brought summer clothes in cases and a few personal things - the rest was mainly winter clothing we boxed and sent surface mail as we didnt need them immediately  - and in fact havent worn any of them... lol

i will arrive in Larnaca from Doha on July5, traveling with a couple who have a place in Paphos where I can stay for the first month while searching for a place of my own - maybe Polis as I am most interested in hiking in Akamas etc.     Do you know that area ?
I will be bringing very little with me, but my friends will use my luggage allowance, so we will have 90kgs of stuff (!)  .   they say the taxi from Larnaca to Paphos will be about e150.       Then I hope to rent a car in Paphos but not too small as my friend is very tall, and  he can only drive automatic.  Can your e15 a day car rental contact accomodate us ?         I havent driven a car in years, since I left San Francisco,     tho I have have had 110cc motos in asia and still have a current California license.   
I have little to do now other than wait on my travel companions, and the time goes slowly.

am sure hes worth a punt for the car hire - he is based in Peyia and Chloraka- I will get his number for you

taxi price is about right but its possible to get it cheaper....

The Akamas Peninsula is slap bang between Peyia/ Coral Bay/ Agios Georgios and Polis

the number to call is 99139425

Hi Toon,
I spoke to John, the car rental fellow.   He has nothing available now, but was helpful in advising me about buying a used car.   In fact, it seems everyone I talk to here is friendly and helpful.   this will take some adjusting for me.   
I am staying in Paphos and Ive been to Polis twice via bus, I much prefer the latter\s small town feel, so I will be looking for a rental somewhere in that area.     
I am real pleased to be in Cyprus, thanks for your encouragement and advice.   I will probly be asking for more in the coming weeks.

Polis is small and close to Latsi beach a lovely place we visit occasionally.. havent been for a couple of months now  - but its a lovely drive through to it from where we live in Peyia.... am pleased you have found a place that you can call home and am sure you will adjust and find even more people who are also friendly and amenable there - we have found the people here to be very friendly indeed and customer service in most places in our experience so far has been second to none.

You may wish to speak to Costas at Coral bay he also does cars for hire - and at "special rates" - cant say too much here though......

I actively encourage people to come here as its a lovely place and we have found it so much better than our last home on Malta... dont get me wrong we enjoyed 6 years there but we have moved on to a place we can really enjoy and call home without the Malta issues.  Of course some things remain the same, and like most countries its not perfect, but for us its ideal.....

please feel free to ask away and i will try to assist

Have fun and hope you find your ideal place to live in the Polis area