Move and start a business in Chiang Mai

I love chiang mai, i just thinking to move there and opening small food place and ethnic shop.

What i want to ask is, how business condition run in there..?, it's good market..? and how about place for rent..and permission for foreigners to open businesses there..?

I'm not thinking about huge profits from this business, just want to move , continued my life and find peacefuly place there :)

Need your advice ..

hi,
welcome to chiang mai . my friend rent a small corner near big-c , its about 12000bht / month. but you need to paid 3months rental in once as a deposit . what kind of business you interested?
God bless :)

Thecinnamonjourney wrote:

I love chiang mai, i just thinking to move there and opening small food place and ethnic shop.

What i want to ask is, how business condition run in there..?, it's good market..? and how about place for rent..and permission for foreigners to open businesses there..?

I'm not thinking about huge profits from this business, just want to move , continued my life and find peacefuly place there :)

Need your advice ..

Hi

Please do your survey first as its not easy to do business in Thailand for foreigners especially if capital is limited.  You need to check the local laws first.

Are you prepared to be tied down to the shop - 7 days a week work from morning till night?  If you plan to hire a staff, you sure need someone who is loyal.

As you are from Jakarta, I do not need to tell you how Indonesians workers are especially in small shop.

Feel free to ask me as I am from Singapore who had been living in Thailand for the past 17 years.  I know about Indonesia too and been there many times as well.

GOD BLESS
Sammy

Agree what Sammy said, need to have big and long commitment .  Think twice.

Thank you all, i will start do survey and have look :)

Can be tricky starting a business in Thailand and complying with the restrictions for foreigners.  There are some safe avenues, but for sure you have a lot of homework to do.  I wrote about just this subject on my blog:  How Expats can Start a Business in Thailand - americanexpatchiangmai.com/how-expats-can-start-a-business-in-thailand/

Hi,apa kabar?

I am an Indonesian living in chiang mai. Just moved here couple of months ago with my family. I also have been thinking to start a business here. But after doing some research I decided to postpone it. As GregCV said, it is possible but have a lot of homework to do.

As for living here, I found this city is very lovely and peaceful smile. For me, this city remind me of Jogja.

Lain kali kalau ke sini, feel free to contact me if you need anything. It's always nice to  be able to talk in bahasa from time to time.. :d

Salam

my place is still waiting for your survey. hope you have time to look
MythaiutopiaDotWordpress

Hi Elvito and kawankawan di chiang mai:

saya dari malaysia, oh dah lama tak berbual dengan bahasala... hahah....I stay in chiang mai with my family ,i am a music teacher, teaching piano and vocal in a private studio. :) nice to chat with all of you :)

selamat sejahtera

khun suu

Hi margeret yee > you should please write in English in this English speaking forum. Thank you :)

Hi Christine, dnt worry, already translated as you read above.

peace be with you .  selamat sejahtera

margeret .

Hellow,,My Name is Mike,I just joined this expat forum...I have lived here for 9 years now..Studied Thai law and advisor to many expats on many subjects of living starting a bussines and looking for places to rent for just what you are thinking of doing...If I can be of any help please reply...Regards Michael.

Hello Munmick
Could you have my place in your list to offer your customers. It can be an office or a small food place.

Hellow ,thanks for your message about a place for office/shop..Can you tell me location roughly.as I have people could be interested.Thanks Michael..

Unless you want to be looking over your shoulder every few minutes for the police to come and take you to jail for working without a permit, you need to start a company and have paid up capital of 2 million baht - that's the amount a company needs to employ a foreigner. Also, you need to employ 3 Thais.

I am interested if you have place to rent out

[moderated: no free ad on the forum.]

Hi Sammy, how's the going?
I am a Singaporean living in Perth.
As my kids have all grown up I am thinking of moving to Chiang Mai please give me some advise and also the do and don't.
Regards
Edmund