Moving to kl , advice on housing

Hi all,

Personally i really appreciate all those who take up their time to help those who are in need of information..
thankyou..it's really sweet..

Well coming to the point, we will be moving to kl in a month or two and would like some advice on housing.
my hubbie's office will be at petaling jaya near hilton hotel.

I want to rent a condo or townhouse/penthouse/terrace house(if possible) in a safe and quiet environment closer to amenities and still near my hubbie's work place(now that is very important). i'll tell you why. At present he is going to his office which is almot 30- 40 miles of horrid traffic. he spends 3 - 4 wonderful hours just to and fro his office and he works late.
   so i want him to spend no more than 20 minutes in travel for his office. that is one thing.

I also have two kids( 5, 3) and i need a good school for them but i feel for us, these international schools are way too expensive and iam not very eager to send my kids to government schools where i heard the medium of instruction is not english. any other choices on schools especially around the above said area.

And lastly we might be getting some where around 16krm-18krm /month. Will this be sufficient enough to acquire accomodation as per my wish and schooling for my kids eating out often and utilties and other stuff and still have comfortable life?

please please advice..
thanx in advance.

Welcome on Expat-blog iniyamalar! :) Well, for accommodation, i suggest you to have a look at the Kuala Lumpur classifieds and post an ad there.

I wish you good luck in your search.
All the best,
Christine

There's a new apartment complex just opposite Hilton, PJ.

Alternatively, a friend who works near there too, stays in a apartment in KL Sentral (RM4K) and takes the train to and from work.

The same friend sends his children to Fairchild International School as there's a bus which comes to that area.

An alternative education method is to send children to a church which uses the homeschooling curriculum. That may work out to about RM 7K per year.

I've heard there's a new International school in Old Klang Road which isn't too expensive.

Thomas
[email protected]

Hi Ms. Iniyamalar,

WE over here in petaling jaya are used to jam as well and our tolerance level is only up to a maximum of 1 hour (usually
30-45 minutes minutes is normal).

For your accommodation request, I may be able to suggest you a few places in Petaling Jaya itself. But as a reference guide, rental rates are as follows (for 20minutes traveling period - approximately 10-20km radius as speed during almost traffic period average is 30km/hr... ):-

Penthouse: RM5,500 and above (unfortunately, most penthouses are usually fully/partially furnished)sizes from 2000sqft and above with 3-4 rooms + 3-4  bathrooms. There are few condominiums within

Condominium units : RM1,600 (unfurnished) to RM2,800 (fully furnished) for typical units from ranging from 1000sqft to 1300sqft. In fact there are a few condominium which is only 5 minutes away from Hilton (with nearby LRT Station - "train" for travelling up to Kuala Lumpur City Centre) and I can help you source it  . Going further from Hilton area - not much difference in rental rates but with newer building (considering 20 minutes distance or 20km away).

Link Houses (Terrace Houses): Terrace houses does carry a rental rate of RM1800 - RM2500 for older houses for slightly older area(usually unguarded) and RM 2500 - RM3500 for fairly decent places - all these houses are usually partially furnished/unfurnished. 

As for your kids, 3 & 5 years old (correct?), they can be enrolled in English medium Kindergarten (there are plenty of them and its everywhere and fee range from RM300 - 500 per month).

As for schools, apart from the international schools, there are Private Schools - english speaking medium as well - May I know how long do you plan to stay in Malaysia?  Standard enrollment age for kids in school here is 7 years old.

The following are some of the list of Private & International Schools within 30 minutes driving distance from petaling jaya (I'm not sure how much is the fee.... but need you to identify the schools that meet your criteria first)

Alice Smith School, Jalan Bellamy (Primary)
Tel:(603)-2148-3674   Fax:(603)-2148-3418
Web: www.alice-smith.edu.my   

Australian International School Malaysia (AISM)
Tel:(603)-8943-0622  Fax:(603)-8948-4522
Web: www.aism.edu.my

British School of Kuala Lumpur (BSKL)
Tel: +6 03 7727 7775
Fax: +6 03 7722 1296
Web: www.bskl.org.my

Deutsche Schule Kuala Lumpur, Petaling jaya
Tel:(603)-7956-6557  Fax:(603)-7956-7557     

French International School
Lycée Français de Kuala Lumpur
http://www.lfkl.edu.my
Tel:(603)-6250-4415, 6250-4409, Fax: (603)-6250-4552

Global Indian International Schools GIIS Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Tel: +603 2273 7255
Fax: +603-2273 8896

Japanese School of Kuala Lumpur
Tel:(603)-7846-5939  Fax:(603)-7846-5949 
Email: [email protected]

Mont'Kiara International School (M'KIS)
Tel:(603)-2093-8604  Fax:(603)-2093-6045

As for eating out often, Me and my wife + 2 kids (<1 year , 2 years old) .... our expenses are as follows (may not be ideal - but just for your information sake - customized to your income range):-

House Groceries (50% cooked meal at home): RM300-RM500 (depending how extensive - my wife - organizes family gathering very often)

House detergent & Cleaning : RM 300 allocation  (so better to stay at condominium compared to a house)

Eating Out (50% of time): RM600-RM1000 (decent restaurant). Price per meal per person ranges from RM6 (for general restaurant) and up to RM50/person (at upper range restaurant)

Other expenses as a guide are as follows:-

Highway Toll Charges for traveling:  Allocate RM100 (guide) - not everyone need to pay toll to get around -

Petrol consumption for car: Allocate RM300 - RM400 (guide)

Car : We allocated RM700 installment per month for our national car (for 7 years hire purchase), servicing it every 3 months at RM150...Just get a brand new car - second hand cars here are with high mileage and I'm very sure you do not want to spend too much time in garage. However, need to check with banks for hire purchase arrangement for expatriates (upon request). - ps.... decent car prices are high in Malaysia - National Car price range is RM45000 - RM65000 (if I'm not mistaken).  --- PS Try to use public transport if possible, although it might be inconvenient at times -- save the PLANET!

Clinics- visit to doctor per person : Typically RM 50- RM90 (consultation + medications)

Utilities Per Month:-

Water : RM50 (estimate for your family size)

Electricity :Rm 100- RM 500 (depending on how much air conditioning usage) for a typical condominium

Television: Subscription to Astro Satellite Service: RM120 per month for full package ( including sports and kids channel) - Local channel may not interest you at all (i never switched on local channel at all)

Internet Broadband - Ok OK speed without the need to download often -- good enough to watch dramas on line (for my wife) and facebook - RM80+/month

Others : Wife's personal expenses RM5000 (she's definitely going to chase me around the house with a broom when she find this out ...)

Hope that i've given a guide for living in PJ/KL for you. Do contact me should I can be of further help to you and more specific details may be required for me to be able to assist you. I may be able to give you full proposal for your enjoyable stay in Malaysia.

Regards,
[email protected]

wow..

that was so clear..
thank you so much habib and hope your wife didn't find it out yet..lol..
thank you thomas..
It's nice to see people who take such pain to help others.
thankyou once again.
we will keep in contact with you , i just sent this link to my hubbie.

hi habib,

me again..
we were going through the housing options in the net and my hubbie fell in love with desa park city homes.nadia, ridgewood ,adiva, adora...blah.blah..blah..
whatever.
guessing that unfurnished adiva or adora terrace houses within the budget range, is it really just 25 minutes from pj as it is said in the website?
how about a really trafficky peak hour and how long would it take to and fro this desapark city from pj hilton.
and supposedly there is no lrt station near that development right?
so guide me, how long will it take to desa park city?
and what about bangsar, brickfields.too far?? thinking of putting my kids in giis.
my hubbie says one of his colleaques in kl had told that the asia jaya lrt will be deserted mostly and is very convenient for bag snatching and stuff like that.

so my hubbie is skeptical in taking that sub(silly him)since he might work late(again?)
in his defense, we have a personal experience relating to this very issue.
i had been to kl a few years back with my then new born baby for a few weeks with my hubbie. we stayed at hilton.In the evenings,i used to walk down to the asia jaya lrt and my hubbie would join me there so we could go out for dinner.

one such day a security guard from a near by building called me and adviced me not to roam alone at dark(it was 7.oopm)at this place. he said "for 100 velli(100rm)a police would kill you here my dear".
i don't know whether it was an exaggerated thought, but i took heed and never went alone after dark.afterall it was nice of him to do so when he didn't have to.
I know that safety is not prevalent everywhere all the time, But seriuosly is it that bad?

Hi Ms. Iniyamalar,

Hmm … Desa Park City … one of the most beautifully and well planned town ship. The followings are the pros and cons that is specifically related for your specific case where you hubby is will be based in PJ and your kids will be at the GIIS. Yes, it is true … it is only 25 minutes away during normal traffic – but during peak hours – it is 45-50 minutes to PJ.

DESA PARK CITY CASE STUDY

This is what I can estimate for you: GIIS is located in Brickfields.  Your Husband in PJ. House @ Desa Park City: -- You need to get out from House at 6.30am

Travelling time:

During Peak Hours (6.45am – 9.15am)- 
- Desa Park City – PJ during Peak Hours (6.45am – 9.15am): 40-50 minutes driving
- Desa Park City to Brickfields during Peak Hours (6.45am – 9.15am): 40-50 minutes driving
- Brickfields – PJ during peak Hours (6.45am – 9.15am): 15-20 minutes driving

At Non  Peak Hours say 12.30pm & 3.30pm when your kids school finishes
- Brickfields – Desa Park City: 30 minutes driving
- Desa Park City to PJ : 30minutes driving
- PJ  – Brickfields  during non peak Hours: 5-10 minutes driving

Evening Peak Hours:
- PJ - Desa Park City  during evening Peak Hours (5.30pm  – 7.00pm): 40-50 minutes driving
- Brickfields to Desa Park City  during Peak Hours (5.30pm  – 7.00pm): 40-50 minutes driving
- PJ  – Brickfields  during peak Hours (5.30pm – 9.00pm): 15-20 minutes driving

Travelling Distances : (Fastest Route Of Course)
- Desa Park City – PJ : 20km
- Desa Park City to Brickfields : 20km
- Brickfields – PJ : 8km

What's near Desa Park City? There is a shopping complex which is <10minutes away called 1 Utama (hugh shopping mall) – many women love to visit this shopping mall – and guys & kids will get bored here unles they go there to watch movies (sorry – no bolly movies screened at the cinema in this shopping complex).

There's a dedicated shuttle bus service provided free of charge for only for Desa Park City Residents to the shopping mall. 

Other public transport – like Light Rail Transit & Such – NONE NEARBY . Taxis – You have to call and wait… wait … wait…. Ideal to stay if you have your own car without the need to bug your husband -

Eating out – You definitely have to travel out from Desa Park City – nothing in this township apart from its beauty – guess what – your dear hubby will be tired once he finishes work and will not be thrilled to go out after his shower --- it would be approximately 8-8.30pm  – I can bet with you on that  - So --- let's get cooking ---- walaaa --- you'll need to stock up what you need to cook a week earlier ---- But – If everyone is homely type --- then this place is good ----- very good ----

24 Hours security – FULLY GATED & GUARDED development.

p.s: I'll let you know whether GIIS provide School Bus Services to Desa Park City – let u know 2moro. - Just checked ... they do provide the transport service as well - but through a third party private operator if distance is far -

Anyway, rental at this area starts from RM2,800 (South lake Terrace House – Unfurnished)  and above . Do let me know if you need me to assist you further for this area.

Well… Now lets look another area that is highly recommended for your ideal living:

BANGSAR

This is what I can estimate for you: GIIS is located in Brickfields.  Your Husband in PJ. House @ Bangsar. You need to get out from House at 7.15am

Travelling time:

During Peak Hours (6.45am – 9.15am)
- Bangsar – PJ during Peak Hours (6.45am – 9.15am): <15 minutes driving
- Bangsar to Brickfields during Peak Hours (6.45am – 9.15am): <15 minutes driving
- Brickfields – PJ during peak Hours (6.45am – 9.15am): 15-20 minutes driving

At Non  Peak Hours say 12.30pm & 3.30pm when your kids school finishes
- Brickfields – Bangsar: 10 minutes driving
- Bangsar -  PJ : 10minutes driving
- PJ  – Brickfields  during non peak Hours: 5-10 minutes driving

Evening Peak Hours:
- PJ - Bangsar  during evening Peak Hours (5.30pm  – 7.00pm): <15 minutes driving
- Brickfields to Bangsar  during Peak Hours (5.30pm  – 7.00pm): <15 minutes driving
- PJ  – Brickfields  during peak Hours (5.30pm – 9.00pm): 15-20 minutes driving

Travelling Distances : (Fastest Route Of Course)
- Bangsar  – PJ : 5km
- Bangsar to Brickfields : 5km
- Brickfields – PJ : 8km

What's near Bangsar? All the fun is here – The most happening family oriented area. Lots of activities here – There are 2 shopping malls here – the Bangsar Shopping Complex being the latest upgraded shopping complex – for the elite and high class – YOU'll Never Get Bored Here - Many things to do here - many people to be friends with here - if you are one of the social type, you might end up sipping coffee at The Coffee Beans at Bangsar Shopping Complex at 10am every day with fellow locals and expat friends - this is the hangout place for every1 when the husband is out at work & kids at school - Your husband might be able to join you for lunch here regularly and go home for your home cooked meal (when you feel like cooking - otherwise - lazy to cook? just buy the dishes from nearby restaurants and serve it at home) - again - as i said - you'll have a good quality life and you might end up loving Malaysia so much ......maybe... 

Plenty of restaurants – and pubs for executives ( bet your husband will end up here if he has a night out with his friends – just perfect for you to watch over him)- Groceries – easily available at the shopping complex –

Transportation – Plenty of taxis to move around with -  There's a Light Rail Transit at Wisma UOA – Very Safe  - upmarket condition – you'll enjoy your ride from this station to KLCC and even to Brickfields's KL Sentral (just a few minutes away +++ only 4 minutes walking distance from KL Sentral to your kids school)…. VERY VERY CONVENIENT & PRACTICAL.

GIIS has a bus service to serve Bangsar & Brickfields area ( these are areas where many expats stay - due to convenience for the children school)

Security? High Profile area like bangsar – has lots of high end bungalows – there's a Bangsar neighbourhood group – overseeing the streets of bangsar. However, there are many cosy condominiums as an alternative in bangsar which provides good 24 hours security

Rental: also start form RM3000 and above… Not much difference from Desa Park City in terms of rental price. Only Desa Park City has modern outlook minus the convenience.

Bangsar- older houses but some has been renovated internally – if your timing is right and lucky – you may get a very nice Interior Designer renovated unit.

Overall:
In my opinion (purely my opinion), I would definitely choose bangsar as my No. 1 as I can have better life quality. Bangsar is also considered as an ELITE address despite its old houses and definitely – its is much sought after place for stay by expats & LOCALS too when compared to Desa Park City. The people here are also very friendly compared to Desa Park City – there are plenty of house owners/familys being staying put there. In comparison, Desa Park City is merely a place for investor to invest as the high appeciation in property value there. They tend to rent out their unit usually and they themselves could either be livoing in either Bangsar /Sri Hartamas/Mont Kiara. By the way ……. Everyone loves Bangsar in Malaysia – You'll love it too.

OTHERS
By the way…regarding the security guard remark – yes it is true that the police might question foreigners from Indonesia, India, pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Vietnamese for their identifications. But this normally happens if you are really dressed very obviously look like a foreigner and walking around and end up at some back road or alleys. Their intention might be good … but to avoid this – dress up like Malaysians do – we are a multi racial & safe country (apart from handbags snatch thieves thingy )– Ladies – use modern dress instead of your traditional clothing – guys – short pants and a T Shirt that says “I Love Rock n Roll” (I mean don't wear the T Shirt with “I Love Kuala Lumpur”) 

Hope this is not too lengthy… drop me an email when u decide. I could assist to make some arrangement for your accommodation needs.

Regards,
[email protected]

hi habib..

thankyou so much..
That was one great reply.
I don't have anything to ask anymore.

Thankyou once again.
Will contact you again soon..

Hi Ms. Iniyamalar,

It does feel great to give some idea to all expats coming to KL.

Do keep in touch when you have already settled down here in KL (don't worry - even if you decide to stay at another area than those mentioned/recommended).

Just need your feedback on your stay in KL so I can pass the experience gathered by you to future expats as well ..

Regards,
JD Habib
[email protected]

(moderated: no ads please)

The rent you have mentioned - is it per month?
How much would a 2-bedroom apartment in KL cost?

habibjd wrote:

Hi Ms. Iniyamalar,

WE over here in petaling jaya are used to jam as well and our tolerance level is only up to a maximum of 1 hour (usually
30-45 minutes minutes is normal).

For your accommodation request, I may be able to suggest you a few places in Petaling Jaya itself. But as a reference guide, rental rates are as follows (for 20minutes traveling period - approximately 10-20km radius as speed during almost traffic period average is 30km/hr... ):-

Penthouse: RM5,500 and above (unfortunately, most penthouses are usually fully/partially furnished)sizes from 2000sqft and above with 3-4 rooms + 3-4  bathrooms. There are few condominiums within

Condominium units : RM1,600 (unfurnished) to RM2,800 (fully furnished) for typical units from ranging from 1000sqft to 1300sqft. In fact there are a few condominium which is only 5 minutes away from Hilton (with nearby LRT Station - "train" for travelling up to Kuala Lumpur City Centre) and I can help you source it  . Going further from Hilton area - not much difference in rental rates but with newer building (considering 20 minutes distance or 20km away).

Link Houses (Terrace Houses): Terrace houses does carry a rental rate of RM1800 - RM2500 for older houses for slightly older area(usually unguarded) and RM 2500 - RM3500 for fairly decent places - all these houses are usually partially furnished/unfurnished. 

As for your kids, 3 & 5 years old (correct?), they can be enrolled in English medium Kindergarten (there are plenty of them and its everywhere and fee range from RM300 - 500 per month).

As for schools, apart from the international schools, there are Private Schools - english speaking medium as well - May I know how long do you plan to stay in Malaysia?  Standard enrollment age for kids in school here is 7 years old.

The following are some of the list of Private & International Schools within 30 minutes driving distance from petaling jaya (I'm not sure how much is the fee.... but need you to identify the schools that meet your criteria first)

Alice Smith School, Jalan Bellamy (Primary)
Tel:(603)-2148-3674   Fax:(603)-2148-3418
Web: www.alice-smith.edu.my   

Australian International School Malaysia (AISM)
Tel:(603)-8943-0622  Fax:(603)-8948-4522
Web: www.aism.edu.my

British School of Kuala Lumpur (BSKL)
Tel: +6 03 7727 7775
Fax: +6 03 7722 1296
Web: www.bskl.org.my

Deutsche Schule Kuala Lumpur, Petaling jaya
Tel:(603)-7956-6557  Fax:(603)-7956-7557     

French International School
Lycée Français de Kuala Lumpur
http://www.lfkl.edu.my
Tel:(603)-6250-4415, 6250-4409, Fax: (603)-6250-4552

Global Indian International Schools GIIS Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Tel: +603 2273 7255
Fax: +603-2273 8896

Japanese School of Kuala Lumpur
Tel:(603)-7846-5939  Fax:(603)-7846-5949 

Mont'Kiara International School (M'KIS)
Tel:(603)-2093-8604  Fax:(603)-2093-6045

As for eating out often, Me and my wife + 2 kids (<1 year , 2 years old) .... our expenses are as follows (may not be ideal - but just for your information sake - customized to your income range):-

House Groceries (50% cooked meal at home): RM300-RM500 (depending how extensive - my wife - organizes family gathering very often)

House detergent & Cleaning : RM 300 allocation  (so better to stay at condominium compared to a house)

Eating Out (50% of time): RM600-RM1000 (decent restaurant). Price per meal per person ranges from RM6 (for general restaurant) and up to RM50/person (at upper range restaurant)

Other expenses as a guide are as follows:-

Highway Toll Charges for traveling:  Allocate RM100 (guide) - not everyone need to pay toll to get around -

Petrol consumption for car: Allocate RM300 - RM400 (guide)

Car : We allocated RM700 installment per month for our national car (for 7 years hire purchase), servicing it every 3 months at RM150...Just get a brand new car - second hand cars here are with high mileage and I'm very sure you do not want to spend too much time in garage. However, need to check with banks for hire purchase arrangement for expatriates (upon request). - ps.... decent car prices are high in Malaysia - National Car price range is RM45000 - RM65000 (if I'm not mistaken).  --- PS Try to use public transport if possible, although it might be inconvenient at times -- save the PLANET!

Clinics- visit to doctor per person : Typically RM 50- RM90 (consultation + medications)

Utilities Per Month:-

Water : RM50 (estimate for your family size)

Electricity :Rm 100- RM 500 (depending on how much air conditioning usage) for a typical condominium

Television: Subscription to Astro Satellite Service: RM120 per month for full package ( including sports and kids channel) - Local channel may not interest you at all (i never switched on local channel at all)

Internet Broadband - Ok OK speed without the need to download often -- good enough to watch dramas on line (for my wife) and facebook - RM80+/month

Others : Wife's personal expenses RM5000 (she's definitely going to chase me around the house with a broom when she find this out ...)

Hope that i've given a guide for living in PJ/KL for you. Do contact me should I can be of further help to you and more specific details may be required for me to be able to assist you. I may be able to give you full proposal for your enjoyable stay in Malaysia.

Regards,
[email protected]

Hi Ms. Iniyamalar,

I think Habib has done an excellent job in giving you an update on the preferred location. And yeap, indeed i believe his suggestion is excellent, bangsar would be good, since global international school is close by as well as PJ is not too far off.

If you require further assistance towards narrowing your options in Bangsar, do give me a shout out, will be happy to assist you.:D

hI
MR Habib
and thanks alot for all details,still i need to know little further if u can?thx in advance
We re origin from russia but settled in dubai,now we, me,my wife and 5 kids planning to move to KL from dubai
as we were setteled in dubai from last 18 years and i was dealing in ladies garments business here,now interested open an shop in KL of same fashion business.
(1) which location(where most tourist flow)? is the best to open an ladies high fashion shop.
(2)how much cost me for my 5 children education from grade 1 to 11?
(3)near by shop area a good place to live how much its cost 3 bedroom appartment?
(4)for the family of 7 how much groccery cost?
(5) and if you can tell about import duty on ladies garments and tax structure in malaysia?
(6) and is it easy to obtain license for business and how much its cost?
thanks
sarakaev

Hi Habib,

I am just new to the forum and this is my first post.

The website is so informative and your responses are quite candid and very useful for any new expat at KL.

We are moving to KL sometime in new year and exploring option for stay.

Just a brief abt myself: We are just 2 of us, no kids yet. I did live in other countries so I need a consmopolitan community as my neighbour not just Indians.

My office will be in KLCC and other office will be near KL Central.My key considerations are distance to LTR so that I can use it for regular commute to office and use the car as an alternative.

I am just contamplating about Ampang & BrickFields. Some one suggested Bangsar as well, however I felt it is bit far for my regular commute. We are looking 2 BHK Condos around 1200-1500 pfs and our budget is less than 2500 RM with furnished option.

Other question is to go in for a furnished one or unfurnished one. If it is unfurnished can I get these things fixed it without much of a hussle with out any car. I heard imported cars are quite expensive so I might need sometime to go for a car option as my current contract is going to be just for a year to start with.

Thanks,

We just met some people from PJ. They live at Tropicana Golf Resort- looks awesome! Might be worth considering if you are going to be based in PJ.

Hello Iniamalar,

If I may ask, have you decided on the school for your children? Can you please share some information on your research so far :)

-B

Hi everyone ;)

@habibjd: Expat.com team thanks you for your relevant & wonderful contributions. Do not hesitate to participate/contribute in other discussions of Kuala Lampur forum & Malaysia forum

See you soon ;)
Warm Greetings

Dear Habib,

My name is adil, i am new in KL. Looking for proerpty to rent like a single bedroom (furnished) or room. Must be close to LRT or Mono rail, any help in this regard will be appreciated. Budget 500-700.

Regards

Adil
[email protected]

Dear,
I know a real estate agent who is very helpful and her main area is Bangsar . [email protected]

Good luck :)

hi. how are u?

i do know a place to stay which is really near to Hilton hotel and also is very convenient. its around 5minutes drive to hilton.

its a service apartment! its in Amcorpmall Petaling Jaya.
it has all the facilities.
downstairs is a shopping center, opposite is the train station, also there's a park near by there and best thing there's school near by there also. it is not a international school but its a very good government school.

also, i do know a really good real state agent. i could give u her number if u want!

kgrajiv wrote:

Hi Habib,

I am just new to the forum and this is my first post.

The website is so informative and your responses are quite candid and very useful for any new expat at KL.

We are moving to KL sometime in new year and exploring option for stay.

Just a brief abt myself: We are just 2 of us, no kids yet. I did live in other countries so I need a consmopolitan community as my neighbour not just Indians.

My office will be in KLCC and other office will be near KL Central.My key considerations are distance to LTR so that I can use it for regular commute to office and use the car as an alternative.

I am just contamplating about Ampang & BrickFields. Some one suggested Bangsar as well, however I felt it is bit far for my regular commute. We are looking 2 BHK Condos around 1200-1500 pfs and our budget is less than 2500 RM with furnished option.

Other question is to go in for a furnished one or unfurnished one. If it is unfurnished can I get these things fixed it without much of a hussle with out any car. I heard imported cars are quite expensive so I might need sometime to go for a car option as my current contract is going to be just for a year to start with.

Thanks,

Hi,

You best bet would be Brickfields. You can google

(i) Palm Court(1000 sqft) - RM 1,5000 to RM 1,900[very crowded]
(ii) Pines Condo(1000 sqft)  - RM 1,800-RM 2,700 (relatively low density)
(iii) Scott Villa(100sq ft onwards)  - RM 2,300-RM 3,000 ( quite decent)

all the above are about 1.5km walk to KL Sentral - the Rail Hub.

You have options in KL Sentral - Loft etc. but i doubt you can find anything below RM 3K - but do give a try.

All options are furnished.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
DA

iniyamalar wrote:

Hi all,

Personally i really appreciate all those who take up their time to help those who are in need of information..
thankyou..it's really sweet..

Well coming to the point, we will be moving to kl in a month or two and would like some advice on housing.
my hubbie's office will be at petaling jaya near hilton hotel.

I want to rent a condo or townhouse/penthouse/terrace house(if possible) in a safe and quiet environment closer to amenities and still near my hubbie's work place(now that is very important). i'll tell you why. At present he is going to his office which is almot 30- 40 miles of horrid traffic. he spends 3 - 4 wonderful hours just to and fro his office and he works late.
   so i want him to spend no more than 20 minutes in travel for his office. that is one thing.

I also have two kids( 5, 3) and i need a good school for them but i feel for us, these international schools are way too expensive and iam not very eager to send my kids to government schools where i heard the medium of instruction is not english. any other choices on schools especially around the above said area.

And lastly we might be getting some where around 16krm-18krm /month. Will this be sufficient enough to acquire accomodation as per my wish and schooling for my kids eating out often and utilties and other stuff and still have comfortable life?

please please advice..
thanx in advance.

Dear Inayamalar,

Schools

there are two indian international schools.

Global Indian International School(GIIS) - please google. I think their fees is about RM 1K per month on the average for primary kids.

Vikas - vikas.edu.my. I have no idea on their fee - you can contact them vide e-mail. But their origin is from Namakkal.

Brickfields would be your best bet. Why?

(i) many indian expats around
(ii) ample choise of food[though i dont really fancy them]
(iii) many shops selling indian groceries/spices/condiments
(iv) walking distance to GIIS
(v) walking distance to KL Sentral - so hubby can take train to ASia Jaya and walk to PJ Hilton

Vikas is along Old Klang Road. This is also a good neighbourhood. You can stay in Taman Desa( pls google). But you may need a car. AS there is no proper public transport in this place. But it is much bearer to PJ Hilton tha Brickfields(about midway).

Cheers,

DA

Hi All,

I was gonna reply to some of the postouts here but when I saw the replies, I was amazed at how detailed they are. Some of the places mentioned here are simply fantastic. I have lived in Bangsar and it was a great place with all the meals and hangout places. But because I was once a victim of a snatch thief, I decided to move elsewhere. I was told that Bangsar used to be a famous place for the expats.

Anyway, I now live in Mont Kiara (which is very near to Bangsar & Desa Park City). So, jz wanna share my experience living here in MK. It is a cozy place to live in. Plus, I feel safe living ard here and was told that the new palace is up and coming very soon.

Also because I was introduced to a lawyer who actually helped me in buying the condo in MK. Without his assistance, I'd not be able to complete the purchase of my condo so fast.

So, happy living in KL and if any of you wanna meet up, kindly email me at [email protected]. Gud day mate!!!!!

Regards,
Warren

Hi
If anyone looking for IGCSE centre that not only caters for normal children but also for children with dyslexia and other mild learning problems, then you should go to Q Academy in taman tun dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur. My twins who are now in year 10 are dyslexic and they are very happy in this centre although they were formerly studying in the UK. I had to bring them back to Msia  as I am now working here. I am fortunate to have finally found a school  that caters to their needs. Teachers here are very good, understanding and willing to go extra mile to help my twins.
The centre is located in :  Q Academy Sdn Bhd, No 2B (2nd floor), Jalan Wan Kadir 1, taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur. Tel no (03) 77313468/0122224043 Ms Lilian Tan

Hi Alia, does Q Academy have a website?