Hows life in tabubil as an expat?

hi everyone, i am a filipina and considering a job offer in tabubil for 6 months or a year.  would anyone of you please share your experiences living as an expat there?  ive been working in a big city and used to things that a big city can offer. this is a big change for me thus i want to be prepared and manage my expectations. i read a lot of good things too. i tried searching thru the net but couldnt find satisfactory answers.
hows the safety and security in that town?
hows the people?
do they have well equipped hospital?
is there abank that has a tie up with any banks in the philippines?
do they have recreational facilities? if there is, how much is the monthly membership?
is it safe to drive a car around town?
do they already have internet provider with monthly plan/ payment and unlimited usage? how much is the monthly rate in usd?

i really appreciate your help and looking forward for your reply before i sign the contract.

Hi, I live in Tabubil and I'm from Australia.  On the positive side, there are maybe 50 Filipinas in town so you're not alone.

hows the safety and security in that town?
>moderate - for PNG it's pretty safe but that's not saying much.  There are security guards everywhere to keep people honest but villagers wander in to town from hundreds of km away including Indonesia, then they find getting a job more difficult than they imagined and they still have to eat so there's petty crime and not much can be done about it.  There is a bit of violent villager on villager crime (bashings, rape etc) most of which goes unreported.

hows the people?
>Awesome - very social, I'm sure you'd be welcome.

do they have well equipped hospital?
>hmmmmmm, sort of. There's a Doctor from Australia and nursing staff from PNG.  It's OK I guess.

is there abank that has a tie up with any banks in the philippines?
> no, get the employer to pay the bank directly in the Philippines and open an account in Tabubil with a local bank for living expenses.

do they have recreational facilities? if there is, how much is the monthly membership?
> yes, membership is yearly and affordable.  lots of things to do if you like sports or drinking! On the social side there's a golf club ($200/year), hash house harriers ($150/year). There's a Recreational membership that covers all the other things -> tennis, squash, basketball, swimming (small 25m pool), gym (not bad either) and it's all about $50 for a year.  The locals also love their rugby and soccer which is played constantly!

is it safe to drive a car around town?
> absolutely

do they already have internet provider with monthly plan/ payment and unlimited usage? how much is the monthly rate in usd?
>no way.  Internet is terrible. Best you can get is 500mb for about US$50 and it's slowish 3G. If you love the internet it's maybe not the right place for you!!

Can I ask what job are you trying to get in town?

Cheers

Cambodia7

hi there, thank you so much for the information. helped a lot. great to know that tabubil is somehow a safeplace. not that i love internet ;-) but just to keep in touch with family and this is cheaper than calls.
youve been living in tabubil for how long?

A year and a half.

what things are available at the shops in tabubil. What's the cost like.
How far is the tabubil international school. Do they have pick and drop off's.
What kind of housing is provided by the mining company.
Theo

Hi thanks for the information, I just arrived in Tabubil and the information is very helpful!
Do you work for the mining or?

Cheers

Hi almiratantri,

Please note that this post here is a bit old :)

Feel free to start a new topic with all your questions on the Papua New Guinea Forum please :)

Thank you

Maximilien