Safety in Japan

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Japan?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Japan and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I have lived in Yokohama for  two years.  I joined the "Enjoy Walk Yokohama" program last year and walk by myself almost everyday.  From February thru June I walked over 1800 kilometers in and around the city.  I have visited almost every park available and Never ever felt unsafe.  I have walked in the very early mornings and in late evening without any incidents.  Sometimes I get hissed at by some older people, but just keep on walking.  I moved here from the suburbs of Atlanta and I never walked in any unlit areas at night and totally avoided the downtown unless I was with several people.  Japan overall is very safe.  I know there are some areas to avoid in Tokyo during the night, but otherwise I can walk wherever I want without worry.  Miwa and I have traveled to all but one region of the country, with a trip about every other month with no mishaps or threats.  I believe Japan is the safest country in the world.  Yes, there are some problems, but overall nothing compared to other countries when it comes to safety.

I have just spent the last 22 months living in Tokyo with my family.   I would often go out and about at night and not once felt unsafe or uncomfortable about where I was.  Our children roamed the streets freely, sometimes not returning from school till 7:00pm at night and even felt comfortable enough to venture into some of the busy parts of the city with their mates (ages 8 - 12) at times.

Yes there is the potential for something to go wrong but on a purely statistical basis I think the odds are pretty slim compared to western countries.  I come from small town New Zealand and feel less safe out at night there than I would in Tokyo.

I have recovered lost wallets and iPhones in Tokyo with no problem which I wouldn't expect to do in any other country.

The only parts of Tokyo where I or my family ever felt slightly uncomfortable was in Roppongi which was more due to the street touts trying to entice you into the strip joints than any unseemly activity on the streets, I also believe that Shinjuku's Kabuchiko district is similar but never got there to experience it.