Home schooling and bali schools

Hi the Mums out there I hope you can help me we are shifting 28th July I flew to Bali 5 times in 2014 and found a home for my family. I have a 7 and 11 year old they are kind and well behaved and love making new friends. Has any of the Mums set up home schooling with other Mums to have a group of childten who still get to socialize or can you recommend any schools who do not have the massive school fees I know these schools are amazing and I would very much love for my children to attend them but $14,000.00 for a 7 year old for 1 year is not something we can afford.
My husband woeks Offshore but we are choosing to live in Bali so his company does not supplement anything he will pay for his own flights, accommodation etc.
Is there some one who has any thoughts of how my children can go to school or is there some home schooling already set up. Would love some advice.

The below link will take you to a chapter in “cyber Bali” written by one of my best friends and an expert in education here, Dr. Bruce Pohlmann.

http://cyberbali.com/sample/sample.pdf

As you will see, there are plenty of schools here in Bali which are far less costly than $14,000.00 a year for tuition and fees.

You just need to do more homework…no pun intended.

You might also check out this e-book also written by Dr Bruce, aka “Doc.”

http://www.cyberbali.com/balibook.htm

There are not many expat mums in this blog site. Mostly are western men who have remarried to Asian women. Personally if I couldn't afford to put my children into an international school then my second choice would be a good private bilingual local school. Probably most expats with kids put their kids in International Schools and there are loads of them in Bali. You can usually get sibling discount.

Lighthouse is a home school in umulas and there's one love in canggu. you can find info on facebook sites. I'm also thinking of homeschooling my 9 year old daughter next term as all the schools in bali keep increasing their fees.

Cost is what is really comes down to. Should we put ourselves first and choose the exotic and adventurous lifestyle at the expense of our children's education, or should we stay back home and give them the standard but good education that costs next to nothing. International schools are getting more and more expensive all the time, the teachers salaries are also very nice. These schools are a business, full stop. If the waiting list is long, the schools may see this as a good reason to increase their fees. Homeschooling is not for everyone. The children miss out on many good things that schools provide.

"...the teachers salaries are also very nice."

HUH?

How many teachers do you know in Bali?  I suspect not many, and for certain I don't know one who would say that their salary is "very nice."   

Indeed these schools operate as a business, as do most all private educational institutions world wide.  But, from our experience having three boys in one or more various private schools on Bali over the many years we've lived here, we have always found complete transparency, including full accounting being regularly provided. 

You are absolutely right though about the parental decisions concerning what schools to send your kids to...or to opt for home schooling.  That is a very personal decision taken by each and every parent, and I don't know one who doesn't consider all the aspects very thoroughly and with great concern. 

For us, part of our decision has always been that kids raised and educated in Bali are afforded an opportunity which far exceeds anything they would be able to experience "back home."  In other words, education in our view far exceeds that which is learned in the classroom.

Moderated by Stéphanie 8 years ago
Reason : No advertising please and don't generalize please

Self moderated to suit mod's attention to other posts.

This is an old thread, but could well be informative for many, so I'll chip in.

International schools are commonly expensive (But usually very good), so you might well want to consider national plus schools.
There are many good ones in Indonesia (that use English in most subjects) and have reasonable educational  standards.

Well done with your subtle message Fred!   :top:

I think we can let immigration take it from here.   ;)

Ubudian wrote:

Well done with your subtle message Fred!   :top: )

My understanding is immigration take an especially dim view of illegal workers on your island.

Olivia, are you able to travel or only able to work in Bali? I may be looking for an au pair. I would not pay you but I can offer you a free room as we have other students living upstairs. Can you teach bahasa and french?

Hati hati Saintjean as the law is rather specific in that compensation isn't limited to money.  If you provide goods and/or services (as in room and board) you are still employing a foreigner in the eyes of the law. 

I can assure you that immigration will not look kindly upon a French person illegally hiring an English person for "au pair" (domestic help) duties and also tutoring. 

Olivia, I can also assure you that immigration here in Bali will look very unfavorably on you doing private tutoring here on Bali without a proper business license, KITAS visa and work permit.  The law even prohibits duly employed and documented foreign teachers on Bali from doing private tutoring in their spare time.  You are risking a lot, as in up to a US $50,000.00 fine, up to five years in jail and permanent deportation (after the fine paid and time served). 

These days immigration isn't playing any games, and expats who "play by the rules" and go through all that it takes to do it right, are not sympathetic towards those who chose to cut corners.

Be very careful....as Roy is pointing out, it would be totally illegal and you can face a lot of trouble.

There is no way that individuals can sponsor foreigners doing work, no matter if officially paid or not.

There are again new regulations implemented by MOM since 29.06 so you better check about it

Oh dear. Olivia please ignore my offer.

Are you really sure about the name? WORLD NOMAD SCHOOL

Hi, I just wanted to clear a few things up!

Firstly, I have a KITAS sponsored by the company I work for. Do I require any additional documentation for tutoring outside of my job?

Also, I was not criticizing the standard of education, only the price. I have studied at International schools my entire life and know that they are very expensive.

Lastly, I'm sorry -  I didn't realise there was a separate section for advertising! I will keep that in mind.

Please note that you are not allowed to work holding a business visa !!

It is against the law and you can face up to 5 years prison and paying fine up to Rp 500.000.000 (about USD 40.000) if get caught.

You need a sponsoring company/institution willing to arrange a work permit for you.

Ah....you just edit the original post.

If you have a work permit and a KITAS sponsored by the company, you are not allowed to work outside of your job.

The penalty is same as I mentioned above.

HH is correct.
If you work outside the terms of your permit, you are deemed to be working illegally.

Okay I'm very glad to have found this out. Thank you very much for letting me know. The last thing I want to do is get thrown into jail in bali.

Yep....for sure it will not be a pleasant stay there.

Hi OliviaLeonie,

If you have any more questions, please feel free to create a new thread on Bali forum.

Thank you

Stéphanie