Lao cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Laos?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Laos and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Any of the seafood dishes are my favorites.
For a land locked country one gets good fish, prawns and shellfish here. 

Simply grilling the prawns over charcoal and serving them with a sweet chili dipping sauce is rather tasty. Fresh fish which has been covered in salt then grilled the same way is also a favorite.

There are other dishes too but one will not find then on menus in Vientiane. Crickets, grasshoppers, large bugs etc can be purchased in small local markets. Tasty deep fried. Termites shallow fried in oil with garlic and chili.

Frogs added to a soup with vegetables is another dish I like. There are very small frogs, around thumbnail size, which are rolled in egg and flour then deep fried. 

There are dishes made with raw meat and even pigs entrails. These are not for the fainthearted and I have been sick after eating them. 

Pho, or noodle soup is a good staple and can be found anywhere in the country. You pick which meat you want to have in the soup and the broth, complete with noodles is brought to your table along with a dish of fresh vegetables which includes long beans, mint, coriander and other assorted herbs. These you break into the broth, season the brew with chili paste, fish sauce, sugar and squeeze in lime juice. All that remains is to eat. A great dish to start the day as many Lao people do.

Orlam is my favourite. It is a type of stew and a speciality of Luang Prabang. They do a good one at Amphone, near Jazzy Brick.