Safety in Cyprus

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Cyprus?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Cyprus and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

So far I feel it is very safe in terms of women and children walking out..at all times of day

however I will say in  our district of Paphos - Peyia -  there has been a spate of burglaries and they are really not bothered about whether you are at home or not..

so be watchful for a black bmw with two women and a man - known to be floating about the area. They have been breaking in to houses stealing passports, cash, small items such as ipads laptops and jewellery.

They also know that these can easily be found in properties with known red red plated cars... so they just bide their time and wait for you to go out

be careful leave nothing to chance... lock up and leave nothing valuable visible if you can.

also dont assume that because you are home you are not likely to be burgled  - they dont care....

GOOD NEWS - this team of thieves have been caught and are in custody......

so well done the local police

hi christine, i have lived in cyprus for 7 years, when i first moved here from london and was walking in quiet places at night i was wary about getting mugged but gradually that disappeared. the streets in cyprus are very safe compared with london and britain, i hope it remains like that. i find the younger cypriot generation have far more social respect than in britain, and are very helpful if you need directions or assistance. we did have some burgularies and theft from cars where i live some time ago, drugs were involved but fortunately the police caught them, it did leave a nasty feeling since then i take precautions to lock my balcony door when i go out. it only takes one or two to wreck the peace. overall the quality of life in cyprus is better than in britain, i hope it remains like that.

I would agree having been here for just one year. I have never felt any fear here - far from it, although I am always on the lookout for trouble.....and so far have never seen any of it..... or indeed any need for my caution..

Old habits die hard i think lol

My only real concern is security of our home, I am still overly cautious but thats mainly borne out of the last 12 months spate of burglaries in our extermely large village, but can maybe relax a little as that squad have been caught....

I too still lock shutters doors and windows and dont leave anything on show if i can avoid it.

hi toon, i agree old habits die hard, but it is good to retain a sense of wariness wherever you are, but my sense of wariness is more relaxed to bear here in cyprus. i do sympathise with the burgularies people have had in paphos. i left a message for you toon on the drink driving here in cyprus, has the 22 mg limit been lowered?.

I posted the answer in full.... have a look

cheers toon i must have overlooked it.

no worries matey