How is the water shortage progresing?

Has there been enough rain yet to make maters better or are the shortages getting worse?
Is it still mainly the Metro area that is in trouble or has it affected other parts of the island yet?

We live on the border between Bayamón and Guaynabo and start rationing tomorrow - 24 hours on, 24 hours off.  Some areas are still 24 hours on, 48 hours off.  Much of the eastern side of the island desperately needs rain.

Perhaps this can be the incentive for the government to fix the crumbling and inefficient infrastructure that results in over 50% of the water being lost due to theft or leakage.

We had stayed in the Rio Grande area some years ago for 8 days and their was a water line break that just ran down the street the entire time we were there. :(

trekrider520 wrote:

We live on the border between Bayamón and Guaynabo and start rationing tomorrow - 24 hours on, 24 hours off.  Some areas are still 24 hours on, 48 hours off.  Much of the eastern side of the island desperately needs rain.

Perhaps this can be the incentive for the government to fix the crumbling and inefficient infrastructure that results in over 50% of the water being lost due to theft or leakage.

Maybe, but as long as people to not do a protest march, little is likely to change.
Hope it rains significantly soon.

Then again .... I am going to be there On July 11 thru 19, bummer for me if it mostly rain the entire time, but good for you guys as you all need the rain.

No money to pay for infrastructure upgrades, I'm afraid.

Looking at the weather app, it seems like Fajardo is going to have rain 8 days out of 10 starting tomorrow, while San Juan looks like no rain at all except for 1 single day.

Our family is in the west side of the island (from Guayanilla to Cabo Rojo), there is no restrictions on this side of the island. Actually my sister in law was complaining last week of too much rain. I have noticed is different for the north-east side of the island. One of the main issues is too many folks living in the metro area and poor planning on the government.

I am 99.999999% sure you are correct that over population of the area combined with few resources and lousy infrastructure is the root cause.
I think I heard that they were also taping the Fajardo reservoir to add more water to the metro area. But that may not be true.

AS Adlin 20 said we have not really had restrictions on water here in Quebradilla(northwest coast) but there were times before the rainy season, that the water would go for an entire day but thankfully now it hasn't really gone too much. I appreciate the rain especially at night and also for my husbands garden.

Here on the East Coast we have received warnings of possible water rationing in the future.  We have complied with the request to reduce consumption.  Every other day we do not drink water.  Only rum. No ice.The dogs do not care for rum. I give them Medalla.  The birds prefer Don Q Limon.  This strategy is also helping with keeping our minds off the debt crisis (and any otherwise bad news, such as the NY Mets slipping into third place).

HaHa. Frogrock!  Sounds like you have a good strategy :)

At least you are saving money on the Medallas, they are absorbing the tax increase.  :lol:

frogrock wrote:

Here on the East Coast we have received warnings of possible water rationing in the future.  We have complied with the request to reduce consumption.  Every other day we do not drink water.  Only rum. No ice.The dogs do not care for rum. I give them Medalla.  The birds prefer Don Q Limon.  This strategy is also helping with keeping our minds off the debt crisis (and any otherwise bad news, such as the NY Mets slipping into third place).

My dogs prefer dry wine, white or red depending on what they are eating. I will try the rum instead of water, less germs that way.

adlin20 wrote:

At least you are saving money on the Medallas, they are absorbing the tax increase.  :lol:

Wait, does this mean the Medallas are not taxed at the higher rate?

They are but Medalla absorbed the increase price. So you pay the same as you were paying before the tax increase. This was in the local newspaper last week.