Moving to Phnom Penh in October 2015 !

Hi Expatriates,

My name is Rush from Melbourne and my family and I are moving to Phnom Penh in October 2015.
I have a 5yo daughter and a 18mo son.
Although I am an Australian, both my parents are Cambodian.
My children are half cast.

The reason that we're moving over is because I would like my children to learn my culture and language and hopefully my husband too (wishful thinking). How awesome would it be if my husband spoke khmer to the kids.

As for myself I would like to give back to my country of origin, mind you I've live in Australia since the age of 3yo. So being able to have an input to the community would make me content.
I will be working at a research institute.
But for now the big problem is my husband finding a suitable job "Environmental science".

I am very excited but anxious about us settling in.

Questions;
Which school do you recommend for my 5yo please nothing too over the budget?

Which area to live, looking at $300pm until my husband gets a job? Close to Calemet hospital where I'll be working. A supermarket close by will be a bonus!

What about a child care centre, how much do they charge?

I think that's all for now.
Thank you so much in advance and I look forward to hearing from you with any advice you can share with me.

Take care.

xx
Rushy

Are you want your daughter leaning both Khmer and English? My recommend, study at AIS, American Intercon School, both Khmer and English payment under 1500$ per year, and U could move to live near that school, Toul Tom Pong or Russian Market only 5 minutes from that's school, home for rent only 300$ per month ...

Thanks for your input and time Chhing! That's great I Will look into AIS. Toul Tom Poung sounds like the area.
It's so cold here in Melbourne so I'm looking forward to the change in climate.

My wife and I moved to 2 months ago from Sydney and are loving it. We live in Toul Tom Poung and pay $350/mth for a 2 bedroom apartment plus power. Great place to live especially as we get to know the locals. They have made us feel really welcome especially as we are making the effort to learn Khmer. They love practicing their English on us.
Calmette Hospital is about 20-30 minutes away depending on the traffic. If you do decide to live in the local area you may end and like adventure you could end up with a regular tuk-tuk driver who may give you a really good rate. We have one who we ring when we need him for regular runs and he gives a better rate than other drivers. In Toul Tom Poung there are plenty of western style shops and small supermarket places. Plenty of places to eat whatever style of food you like.

Thanks for the info motoguzzi!
We are very excited about the big move and knowing that it's affordable living.

Cheers,
Rush

Hi Motoguzzi,
Did you find your apartment via a realestate agent?

Thanks in advance.
Rush

We wandered around Toul Tom Poung and rang a couple of numbers that were on various gates. We ended up with an agent but negotiations were with the owner.

Hi Rush,

It was nice to read your post because I'm Belgian but my parents are both Khmer. My husband is also Belgian and we both moved to Cambodia a year ago. ( Belgium is also very cold)

Calmette hospital is far from toul tom pong, If you work at calmette you should try the area of Russey Keo (we live there 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom for 200$ a month) Just note or place was NOT furnished at all and this is the reason why the rent stays cheap. Friends of us live a street next to us and rent a 3 store house with 5 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms. They pay 350$ a month. If you just arrive do not make long terms contract (1 Year) because you never know what is really wrong with the place if you dont live in it. I'm talking about noise, water infiltration etc,.....

When your husband finds a job, you can always see to find a better place. I can only strongly suggest to take a place for not long for you guys to see morning and evening traffic and see how it go and decide after words where you want to live.

Take care Rush,

Chantie

So much for $300 a month in rent! Blown our budget and found a western style apartment for $600 a month in Orussey market area.
This is definitely going to be temporary until we can find something in our budget.

We would like to stay around this area. If anyone knows a place for rent fully furnished for cheaper please let me know?

In desperate need of accommodation before Phnome Penh eats up all our savings ; (