Drugs bust in Sikanoukville

A British man has been arrested in Cambodia after narcotics police raided his home and found a huge stash of illegal drugs.

Charles Emery, who was born in Bath, has been held on suspicion of drug dealing after officers found hundreds of pills of amphetamines and 12.3 grams of crystal meth at his home in the southeast Asian nation.

The raid on the 48-year-old's home in the southwestern coastal town of Sikanoukville came after an anonymous tip-off from a member of the public, said Choun Narin, the local police chief.

If he is convicted, Emery could face life in jail for the offence under Cambodia tough drug laws.

As well as the crystal meth and 356 amphetamine pills - which are to be smoked -  police also seized liquid ketamine, a mobile phone, a quantity of cash and other drug-related paraphernalia.

A spokesman said: 'A man has been arrested in connection with the supply of drugs. He has been identified as Charles Emery who is from Great Britain.

'A large quantity of amphetamine pills and other drugs have been recovered from his house.

'Arresting officers acted on a tip off from the local area.'

The use of amphetamine pills and crystal meth is relatively widespread in the resort and sold to tourists and residents.

They can be bought openly from motorcycle taxi drivers, tuk-tuk drivers and are also available at nightspots along Serendipity Beach.

But their availability does not mean their use is accepted by authorities.

Cambodia has one of the harshest anti-drug laws in the world. While they do not impose the death penalty on drug traffickers, those convicted of possessing and distributing drugs are handed lengthy sentences and very often life in prison.

Photos:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -home.html

It wasn't his fault - he was pressured into it
He had a bad childhood
His kids were being threatened so was forced into it
Society is to blame
His pet cat was ill and he needed the money to pay for a vet

Any excuse for him making a fat sack of cash out of misery and death will be fine.

Dudes, stay well clear of anything to do with illegal drugs in Asia. The prisons are commonly less than five star, and many countries use bullets to solve their drugs problems.

Let the  turd go to goal and maybe then after a few years he will learn there is no easy
money;
We don't need. People like this vermin in Cambodia;

Mjk

Malaysia hangs convicted drugs criminals.

He Fred you forget that he was dropped on his head when he was born..... :D

What a wave of sympathy we're seeing here. :D

We have a new police chief. He intends to get tougher on drug offenses and so far has lived up to his promise.

Gravitas wrote:

Charles Emery, who was born in Bath,

Hope he has a good memory because it'll be cold showers only for a very long time.

No they will be very hot showers with his cellmate "Bubba"!  ;)

Hot nights with his cellmates, no bath, and I'll bet the menu isn't direct from a 5 star hotel - this is going to be a pretty grim time for him.

It would seem to be an excellent idea not to be a greedy drug dealing idiot in SE Asia.

I'm unsure how many countries cure these problems with the death penalty, but I believe all take a seriously harsh view of drug dealing.

I see it this way; I have two kids I don't want to see targeted by evil toads, so I have no problem with these countries hammering the dealers.

They turn a blind eye at weed and softer drugs but crystal meth is a different story... It's a killer!

http://www.doynews.com/sites/default/files/field/image/charles-william-emery.jpg

http://www.doynews.com/sites/default/files/field/image/charles-william-emery6.jpg

I think we can safely say his chances of a guilty verdict are quite high.

The hell he is going into is just not worth it... He should have stuck with cannabis... ;)

nabashalam wrote:

The hell he is going into is just not worth it... He should have stuck with cannabis... ;)

Any illegal drugs are a bad idea.

Yes but some shouldn't be illegal... :)

A subject for debate, but many countries have an official line that doesn't involve any opportunity to discuss opinions, just choosing to slam you up or kill you instead.

Since this forum is about advising expats - the only advice is DON'T

Advise considered... ;)

nabashalam wrote:

Advise considered... ;)

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ … ust-14816/

Dude, you'd have to be totally mad to mess with illegal stuff in Asia.
Even a couple of nights locked up would be a massive problem, possibly followed by being kicked out of the country.

Up to you, but will you be the subject of the next drugs thread?

See ya in the funnies!  ;)

Cannot understand why this is on the forum
Discussing drug deals and the consequences of these ferret in Asia
Note to the supervisor
We don't need this shit on our forum.          It is not appropriate nor is expected from People
Of principle
All ex pats in  Cambodia /Asia are  not dropouts nor losers as one  is currently experiencing with this forum
Don't give in to media publicity

Another great expat business idea that just didn't work out the way he planned. Looks like he was dipping into the product, too.  No sympathy here. The effects of using meth on the mind....the crazy, horrible stuff people do after days of sleep deprivation...this drug is the worst.

I hear some of the street kids here in Siem Reap are huffing glue...tragic waste of human life.

"Hot nights with his cellmates,"...

Rape jokes are real common about guys having to go to jail, I've noticed that on a number of forums. It's even become a part of today's pop culture, there are sitcoms with prison rape-jokes in it.

Personally, while I have no sympathy for this guy, I think it's quite ugly to cheer people's fate in this way, especially if they didn't commit a violent crime. But even if he did, do you feel better knowing that he will be abused in a corrupt prison system? I don't....

Many people who come onto the Forum are ignorant of the way of life in the far east and as well as getting valuable practical information, its also important to remind people of the laws in a way that they may just remember them.

MJCK945 - You could also say it alerts people in the location that there may be changes in surveillance, checks, etc. so they are not alarmed by what they may experience.

mjck945 wrote:

Cannot understand why this is on the forum

I'm glad it is.

Whilst the vast majority of expats are perfectly reasonable people, a few are not - Hopefully this thread will serve as a warning.

If it stops one and saves a load of grief, it's worth having here.