New members of the Samoa forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the Samoa forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Samoa if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hey , my name is Judy and I am a school teacher who might be volunteering in A Samoa. I want to find out what its like to live there and how safe it is for a woman alone, how much fun/ friends/ activities/ healthcare/ etc there is there for an expat-Im American Ty

Hi I am moving to Samoa next month...I am super excited as it's something I've always wanted to do. But also super nervous as I don't know anyone there and haven't really organised anything. I will be staying for a few months to begin with and then reassessing for long term. How can I find somewhere fairly cheap to stay for June and July? Also I really want to be able to do some volunteering to help the community. How can I get involved in this? Any information would be great. Thanks.
Tui

Hey guys!

My name's Robbie and I'm moving to Apia, Samoa for work in January 2015. I'll be staying there for 12 months and looking forward to the experience (exploring, meeting new meeting, immersing myself in the culture) - EVERYTHING BASICALLY

Anyways, this is just my introduction, hope to hear from other expats living there or who may be moving (or thinking of moving).

Cheers!

Hi There, we are not new members but have now relocated to Savaii in Samoa from the Cook Islands, Rolling stones gather no moss! As expected the people are kind and generous like all Polynesians, once you get to know them. Should be here for at least a year. Savaii is without a doubt the better of the two islands, even though it is a little more remote.

Loving it.

Derek

Hey Derek,

Without  a doubt hey? Very interested to hear what if offers as i'm keen to do some travelling there on weekends and breaks (I'll be staying in Apia). Have you done much travelling to the other island?

Keen to hear of your adventure thus far,

Cheers,
Robbie.

Ok. here we go new here also My name is Bob I am looking for a place to live for a year or so I am hoping for Somoa

Hi Derek , how long have you lived there? did you have to get a visa?...Bob

Hey so how was the move?  and do you like it there?   Bob

unfortunately you need to be sponsored to work in Samoa, that's because they don't want hordes of people taking jobs that Samoan's can do. Its a 12 month permit system renewable after that time as long as you continue to be employed by the same sponsor.

I ( Bob) will be coming over to live for several months living on retirement,  I am looking for housing or a room to rent? where do I look ? I diid not see a craigslist on there ?

Bob, Rental Housing is expensive in Apia, anything decent will cost you plenty. My advise is to move to the villages either on Upolo or Savaii and rent off the villages, much cheaper and you will get to experience the culture first hand. You would not be disappointed.

The maximum time you can stay here on a visitors visa is three months then you will have to leave for a day then come back for a further 3 months.  Most people fly to American Samoa 30 minute plane ride stay a night or just come back on the afternoon flight. My staff that I spoke to say that they would take you in, the accommodation is relatively basic but true Samoan. If you are not married they would look after you by finding you a Samoan Wife hehe.

I am 74 years old,married, income from ss and u s navy retirement. am certified gunsmith and pc a+ certified..
spouse is seamstress and experienced upholsterer. we have been looking into a more relaxed and safer lifestyle.
monthly income is $3150+. we have Tricar Medical care.
Actually we are more interested in American Samoa

Hello married, moved here to Samoa from West Auckland NZ a year ago, my husband is working contracted for 3+1 years, I also moved here for a reason to rebuild my mum's business (accommodation) it has been hard as you need the contacts over here it's who you know and def not what you know but in some ways it does help and most of all you need money.

My daughter attends the Pesega Middle school and is struggling to fit in as some students are quite rude and of course she misses our other older children who are all back in NZ. Is there other wives whom are finding it hard to adapt don't get me wrong I love and embrace our culture so proud to be Samoan but it is hard when the people make it that way.

Majority of the time I spend saying hello how are you but they are so rude especially the woman, I am so grateful to finally have my car here it arrived last week, the taxi fares differ all the time and most of them are filthy.Anyway I am NZ born Samoan 48 years of age have many children and grand children am missing all of them back home.

Hey

I just moved to Samoa from NZ  week ago. I'm living in Manono-uta. Just looking to find some cool people to hang out with :)

Hey Guys,

New to this forum, do you guys know basically how much it is to rent in Apia, Samoa? What is the cost of living like there? Food etc... If anyone can help me out that would be fantastic, would really appreciate it as I know nobody there. Aucklander, here.

Robert Louis Stevenson School is shocking....so expensive and poor teaching ability and quality. My kids have been there before and I was highly disappointed. We are now moving back for another contract starting Dec 2016 and have chosen to send my kids to Vaiala Beach School. Yes it's more expensive, but most teachers are nz/aus trained. $1000 per term per child. I have 3 kids but cost is not an issue when it comes to their education.

Hi there,

I move to samoa in January for a 2yr contract and am bringibg my.3 children with me 10, 7, 4. To find a decent affordable tutor is like finding a needle in a haystack. My kids are enrolled at Vaiala Beach School, seems to be the best education. But if it was possiable to find a private tutor that was qualified enough i would look at some type of home school.

Greetings, I am considering a move to Samoa. Was happy to see the interest in tutors which is what I do. I'm NZ trained,  with experience teaching children, teens and adults in schools, community education and home tutoring. Consider myself a foreigner/visitor, not an expat which conjures up colonial hangover mentality. Hope I can use the forum while seriously opposed to the expat terminology. If not - fare thee well...

My great grandmother was born in Samoa.

Hi Ro
Thanks for the message, great to hear from you so quickly. Today, I heard that I have probably secured a homeschooling job in Samoa for 2017. If it all goes ahead, I would be committed to the family for a year.

My degree is in NZ primary teaching BEd, and I have experience teaching both children and adults in schools, bridging to tertiary education and community literacy education. Not a veteran but I have a good overview of education, theories and practice. My area of skill is school literacy, academic literacy, social studies/history. For 2017 I will be back into the NZ curriculum and I'm looking forward to becoming clued up again, as my last 5 year stint teaching was in academic literacies for teens and adults. 

All your plans sound very exciting,  Sorry, I'm terrible with horses, but I am living on a farm now, with 3 horses and I'm loads more confident than I was growing up with horses as a child.

Can give you more details about my age (I'm old), experience etc but not for all to see. Is that possible? I could  send you my CV.

My commitment to the job and family who bring me to Samoa, would be for at least a year. So If that all goes ahead, they would be my priority, taking me out of the loop somewhat. I could maybe do some weekend tutoring, but would need to discuss with my employer. I would  love to develop a working life in homeschool teaching/Samoa.

I hope your Mum's recovery goes well.  Fa'afetai na Amy.

Hi everyone and welcome on board  :)

Just to remind you that this thread is only dedicated to the introduction of New members.

@ Idreamofspain, feel free to drop a private message if you have anything particular to ask a member.

Click on his avatar > Select "Send a message" > Send

All the best,
Bhavna

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Talofa all and happy new year!

Thank you for the intro, happy to be a part of this network. I currently reside in Am Sam and travel to Samoa frequently.

Fa'afetai

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=751421

Thanks!

Closed