Oslo to Paris weekendTrip

Hi Everyone,

I am a Software Engineer from India.I am thinking of going to Paris via Amsterdam from Oslo on a weekend in sometime in June(Around 21st). Unfortunately due t my stringent schedule i cannot takemuch holidays....Friday Saturday and Sunday, thats what i have to cover these two places.Can anyone help me with some tips....on best deals ..or perhaps join me in this trip. I am all alone so a company would be great.

Here what I roughly planned(budget trip):

To leave Oslo on Friday 3pm(flght):--> Amsterdam----1000NOK
Reach Amsterdam 8.30pm...visit places....night stay in Amsterdam

Then catch a bus to Paris 2pm(u have day time to cover few other places in Amsterdam-->70 NOK only for bus to paris

Reach Paris around 9pm....then u have the whole night and next whole Sunday

Leave from Paris to Oslo(flight) 800NOK Sunday Night.

Any guidance or help would be great regarding budget hotels in Paris and Amsterdam

Nah man, this is not the way to do it.

You will have one night and the following day to discover Paris? lol that is not enough time, and besides you cant explore Paris by night, it will only be nightclubs/discos and not the tourist sites. And then how will you get some sleep before the following day to discover Paris?

I recommend you scrap Amsterdam, and only go to Paris for a weekend trip - check out prices with Norwegian Air or Ryan Air - or if you want to you can choose another destination , such as a weekend trip to Geneva - Geneva is compact. Or perhaps you could try out Florence / Pisa in Italy.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Actually the reason why I chose Amsterdam as a stopover because direct flight to Paris is Costly...So i thought to breakup my journey in Amsterdam and then a catch a bus to Paris.....

Wont Saturday night and whole Sunday would be enuff to cover Paris....I was thinking of catching late night flight(around 12) on Sunday to come back to Oslo

I have just started earning after finishing my college and was sent to Norway by my new company for an assignment...so money is a constrain

sounds like a horrible trip IMO. Why not go to Paris when you actually have the time to explore it? I've been to Paris more times than I can count (once for a whole month) and I still haven't seen enough of it. It's not a small city and there are thousands of famous, interesting attractions that you'll never be able to see with less than 24h there. Why not just enjoy Amsterdam for a weekend? It's a lovely and interesting city in its own right.

Yes money is a concern, however you will not really enjoy anything if you go ahead with this schedule.

Try http://www.norwegian.no/

I see you can fly with them from Oslo to Pisa/Toscana in Italy fairly cheap on selected days - and also Barcelona in Spain. Barcelona is a popular holiday destination.

And you can fly even cheaper to Paris directly if you like.

Remember Switzerland is not in the EU

Also remember that it is not safe at night in European big cities even if you are inclined to think so.

sankalpdamele wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.
Actually the reason why I chose Amsterdam as a stopover because direct flight to Paris is Costly...So i thought to breakup my journey in Amsterdam and then a catch a bus to Paris.....

Wont Saturday night and whole Sunday would be enuff to cover Paris....I was thinking of catching late night flight(around 12) on Sunday to come back to Oslo

I have just started earning after finishing my college and was sent to Norway by my new company for an assignment...so money is a constrain

I know it sounds awful.....I have money and time constrain....i dont know what all palcs and how much time does it takes

I also think that your initial plan wouldn't be very enjoyable :/
Which company were you planning to use to return to Oslo ?
Have you checked Ryanair ? They might land a little bit outside the center of Paris so you would have to use another mean of public transport but I think it could be a good deal financially :)

I followed your discussion about travelling - that's the right way to say ! - to Paris for 2 days.
Sincerely, as an ex-inhabitant of this city - and more : as a french native one ! - I really consider this is just "throwing your money out of the window." as we say it in France.
You know - I travelled through this city day & week-long  during 7 years, (for my job as a Building Surveyor visiting / auditing buildings for investors) and I can tell you I know Paris very well and deep : from top / roofs to caves even in very big building - sometimes historical one - most of people will never be allowed to enter...- I was living just near the Tour Eiffel right in the middle of the city. ; a nice start to explore it. Very often, I took in my large car, group of americans (4 to 8) I met at terrace in front of my building when I was back at home (trying to eat something in a restaurant). And listening to their conversation, I proposed them - very often - to make a special tour for free ! ( around 30km) I called "Paris by night" - the whole monuments that everyone knows about Paris.- But just a few stops were "allowed" to walk and see something special. I knew a lot about story and "details" about Paris ( history/ architecture (my job) / Urbanistic evolution & changes / museums, / curiosities, specificities of this town & places of distraction, etc... etc...I was doing this such as a guide, in fact) and ... I can tell you that, this "tour" with around 25 sites / places to pass-by ... took almost ... 2 Hours & a half !!! at least !
So even if those groups were very fond of what I "gave" / offered them - even if - no doubt ! - they  spent a very nice evening before going back to their hotel ... and before taking their plane back to Usa ( generally...) it was always ... too short ! You can trust me...
I think there are a few destinations you can visit quickly, for sure.
But somme others, such as Berlin, Prag, Wien, Firenze, Athens please don't try it !!!!!
An advice ? maybe : save your money ... find good adresses and take your time : because this is, whatever you may think, one of the - if it's not THE - most beautifull city of the world ! Hum ?!
So don't waste your money. Paris, the city, won't move away before a long time ....you'll have the rest of your life to visit this nice city ... properly.
So long - and good trip ! whatever you'll decide.

If you have money and time constraint, why don't you just spend your weekends within Norway?  lIke train to Bergen or something.  Why spend the money on something that you will not be able to enjoy properly?  that is a waste of money, time & effort to me.

Heï Heï, "fornight" ! that's eactly what I tried to explain in my long "contribution" - In fact, as I said it on another blog to an american woman who lived in norway ( actually in germany) this kind of behaviour could be assimilate to some kind of "go-fast-tourism" or "Mc-Do-tourism" ...! ...my opinion !
I feel sad to see how much consumerism push under pressure everybody on this planet. it's really a pity. Anyway your suggestion is for sure a better one ( take the train from oslo to bergen, for ex) -
"living" is a hard job : I think we must "learn" (!) how to live. how to manage the way to live. Study carefully each of our "choices" if we have any, in fact ! See environmentalist point of view on this subject : they consider tourism is a gift for the planet. I saw it in many places ( Spain, south France,- ... Paris for instance ! - ex-"eastern countries" -, and  Greece actually)  But maybe too "philosophical" point of view. ?! So long...

Thank yu but I have no use of advertising about "hotels in Paris"... I have enough solutions by my family living in Paris or area around !

@ Foster-Ehlé J-Ch and fornight > Please note that you have posted on a very old topic here (2013)

As this topic is an outdated one, it is best that we close it.

Thanks

Priscilla

[ Topic closed ]

Closed