Bad bacterial infection in Hanoi

It started with an aching tooth. The dentist cleaned out most of the rotted pulp and the swelling subsided. But he left the tooth open and food contaminated it (?). The next visit was less pleasant - this time, I felt some remaining nerve tissue. The dentist put in antibiotics and closed the tooth.

My cheek swelled up. Then the infection spread under my chin, to my throad and in my mouth. Now, swallong is difficult and I notice a large swollen area on my chest (below the throat). Can I buy Penicilin injections?

Will return and ask to extract that tooth.

Diabetes doesn't help - read somewhere it complicates such infections.

Q: Where should I turn for treatment and source Penicilin?

Thanks!
Chris

Get to hospital NOW.

A well established infection can kill you.

I think if we choice local services in Vietnam. we always use to face such a complicated situation.

I will suggest you go to International Hospital to Check and fix your tooth.

Go to an International hospital now.

Do not self medicate..too dangerous

You are at risk of Septicaemia - i.e. blood poisoning. You must seek professional assistance especially if you are diabetic.

I reccomend the International Family Health Clinic on Kim Ma.  Charges are high ($US30 per consultation) and medication is on top of that....but it is European standard health care including dentistry.   You can buy whatever medication you need from the pharmacy shop almost acrossthe road in Kim Ma (it's on the corner).
I got a small tube of ointment from the Medical Centre and it cost me 520,000VND...and the same ointment from the shop acrossthe road for 21000VND!!

It needs to be a hospital that has dentistry department (which can be rare) such as a teaching or university hospital.

Hanoi French Hospital could be a good choice. They have Dentistry department.
Back in 2012, I consulted a doctor there for my nagging orthopaedic problem (which Family Medical failed to diagnose even after weeks or MRI etc.)..... and I was very impressed by his treatment. I was up and running in just 3/4 days.

OP, your case sounds serious. You should rush to a hospital without further delay.
Extraction of tooth can be done only after the infection and the swellings are gone.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions. I've been getting IV drips around the clock - it was indeed a bad case...

Forget penicilin, sounds like you need metronidazole

Without wishing to disclose the hospital, I am in good hands (staff).

But then the hospital lacks seccurity

* Visittors partying and smoking?
* Visitors and homeeless people hogging free beds?
* rude behavior and no rules? (A visitor stole my blanket! ** They stay after 11 pm, talk loudly, crawl into bed with patients etc.)

This is a dental and cosmetic surgery hospital and there's a canteen open from 6 am - 7 pm. No one starves, but the locals seem to think they must crrowd into sick rooms and stay day and night when it's a smaller thing and the patient will get discharged in a few days. No need for bed-pan service etc.

Those who reported more than 1 person in a bed, possibly these were VISITORS or strangers wanting to use the facilities for free?!?

Staff's overworked and underpaid. And they need SECURITY to enforce basic rules like

1.no smoking!
2. visititng hours (is there such a thing?)
3. talking with family members somewhere else - like the canteen or sitting on the many chairs outside the sick rooms