Cruise to Manta vs Flying?

So we're moving from Florida to Puerto Lopez. Just had a crazy thought. There's cruises from Miami to Peru with a stop in Manta..sooooo... Instead of flying with a couple checked bags why not just take a nice relaxing two week cruise through the Panama Canal, on a ship with basically no luggage restrictions, hop off in Manta, catch a taxi down to Lopez...Bingo, bango, moved. Thoughts?

Sounds wonderful, spendy but life is short right.

You'll still have to deal with customs SENEA.  You need to check if they will let you debark in a foreign port. You may not be able to enter the country in Manta. There's lots of reasons borders are controlled.

Sorry to burst a bubble

Royal Caribbean cruises says it is possible to take a partial cruise.

To avoid a world of trouble, go over the particulars in advance with your cruise line and your EC consulate...and see if you can get green-lighted.

If you encounter static, drop it and do what everyone else in your position would do -- fly from Orlando or MIA to GYE.

cccmedia in Quito

suefrankdahl wrote:

Sounds wonderful, spendy but life is short right.

Meh...we go on a cruise every year anyways, plane tickets are already $1500-1800 round trip for the three of us...

suefrankdahl wrote:

You need to check if they will let you debark in a foreign port. You may not be able to enter the country in Manta.

The cruise line we're looking at allows partial cruises,as do most cruise lines.
Any cruise port is a point of entry into the country, you typically go through customs from onboard the ship in order to enter the country.

TerrazzoGuy wrote:

The cruise line we're looking at allows partial cruises,as do most cruise lines.
Any cruise port is a point of entry into the country, you typically go through customs from onboard the ship in order to enter the country.

You may go through customs, but one's passport does not get stamped when one enters a foreign port with a USA passport.Why not get off in Peru and bus into Ecaudor?

Very interesting question

mugtech wrote:
TerrazzoGuy wrote:

You may go through customs, but one's passport does not get stamped when one enters a foreign port with a USA passport.Why not get off in Peru and bus into Ecaudor?

I'd be interested to find out about that. It surely can't be as easy as walking right into Ecuador without going through immigration and getting your passport stamped....hmmmm.....    :whistle:
I called the cruise line and they said it's no problem to get off a stop early, you just have to let them know before the cruise that that's what you're planning on doing, she also informed me there's no limit on how much baggage you take on the ship.  :top: I understand that Ecuador is a different animal, but in my experience with cruising I've always just gone through "customs" on the ship and walked right into whatever country I was in...Honduras,Guatemala,Mexico,Jamaica... As far as taking a bus with my family and bunch of luggage from Peru?...um....no. If we do this its gonna be a taxi van waiting for us at the port to take us straight to Lopez...
And as far as your passport not being stamped...The cruise is one-way...it actually ends in Chile. What do you think happens when you get to Chile and the cruise ends?

TerrazzoGuy wrote:

The cruise is one-way...it actually ends in Chile. What do you think happens when you get to Chile and the cruise ends?

Show your passports to any customs agent...disembark...hop into your waiting taxi van into town...clean up at your hotel...and take the family out to dinner.

At that point, you are pretty much on your own.

I would avoid Puerto Montt, Chile, this time of year (winter south of the Equator).  It's sorta 'chilly.' ;)

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:
TerrazzoGuy wrote:

The cruise is one-way...it actually ends in Chile. What do you think happens when you get to Chile and the cruise ends?

Show your passports to any customs agent...disembark...hop into your waiting taxi van into town...clean up at your hotel...and take the family out to dinner.

At that point, you are pretty much on your own.

I would avoid Puerto Montt, Chile, this time of year (winter south of the Equator).  It's sorta 'chilly.' ;)

cccmedia in Quito

Well Chile is definitely out of the question but it seems to me like that would be pretty much the same process with EC...Mantas a port town, lots of people coming and going, I'm sure there's a pretty standard immigration/customs "station" there to process everyone that's coming and going, I'm sure it's not just a "come on in the country" situation, but like I said cruises just tend to be easier, countries tend to be a little more accommodating of cruise passengers because of the vested interest between the cruise lines and the ports they service.
I do seem to recall reading something about a return ticket to your country of origin being required for entry into Ecuador, maybe someone with experience can enlighten me?

TerrazzoGuy wrote:

I do seem to recall reading something about a return ticket to your country of origin being required for entry into Ecuador, maybe someone with experience can enlighten me?

Technically, you're supposed to have proof of passage for eventual exit from Ecuador to keep indigents from entering the country without enough cash for later.  This passage could theoretically be something as inexpensive as a bus ticket to Peru or Colombia.

However, we have never seen any anecdotal evidence that a decently dressed Gringo party has ever been hasseled over failing to meet this technicality.

cccmedia in Quito

Could someone also please enlighten the gentleman on the various visas and paperwork reqs. or give him a link It's NOT simple. Document translations, apostilles etc

cccmedia wrote:
TerrazzoGuy wrote:

Technically, you're supposed to have proof of passage for eventual exit from Ecuador to keep indigents from entering the country without enough cash for later.  This passage could theoretically be something as inexpensive as a bus ticket to Peru or Colombia.

However, we have never seen any anecdotal evidence that a decently dressed Gringo party has ever been hasseled over failing to meet this technicality.

cccmedia in Quito

So I should ditch the shorts and flip flops for a tailored Jos. A. Bank? Cause I'm down with that...lol. Good idea about the bus ticket too thanks. I'm a huge fan of preparedness... I'm not talking having my passport and ID out and ready. I'm talking a binder with all of my documents in triplicate fitted into labeled sheet protectors...

suefrankdahl wrote:

Could someone also please enlighten the gentleman on the various visas and paperwork reqs. or give him a link It's NOT simple. Document translations, apostilles etc

My best friend has been living in Lopez for several years,is a document translator, has helped several people obtain visas, has been given power of attorney and purchased land for me -in my name- in Puerto Lopez,and has multiple connections with people who can handle everything I need... That being said, first hand experience from others who have made the move is always a bonus when your in the planning phase... And when all is said and done, a positive attitude, a sharp suit, some cash and a hint of charisma can get you through a lot of sticky situations if need be... ;)

There is another thread on this subject. Try typing "proof of return on entry" into the search box in the green banner at the top of the page. Of all the stuff I just googled  it sounds like you can enter on a tourist visa and stay for up to 90 days. I would bring proof of return just to be on the safe side. Also saw an entry where someone was asked about showing means of support while they were in country. I wouldn't bring a shitload of stuff either because it will arouse suspicion and you may get into hassles with SENEA. Maybe wanting to search, bribes etc. Tourists don't bring in the kind of tools that you've described wanting to bring in. They hassle people about electronics. I dunno. Maybe you can get feedback here.

TerrazzoGuy wrote:
suefrankdahl wrote:

My best friend has been living in Lopez for several years,is a document translator, has helped several people obtain visas, has been given power of attorney and purchased land for me -in my name- in Puerto Lopez,and has multiple connections with people who can handle everything I need... That being said, first hand experience from others who have made the move is always a bonus when your in the planning phase... And when all is said and done, a positive attitude, a sharp suit, some cash and a hint of charisma can get you through a lot of sticky situations if need be... ;)

Sounds good :)  . You should have the guy come with the taxi van to pick you up in Manta. He could probably handle  any problems that might come up with SENEA

suefrankdahl wrote:
TerrazzoGuy wrote:
suefrankdahl wrote:

Sounds good :)  . You should have the guy come with the taxi van to pick you up in Manta. He could probably handle  any problems that might come up with SENEA

Yeah true. Haha we weren't in the country two hours last time when we were getting hassled by a local cop and he got us through that pretty well! Lol

TerrazzoGuy wrote:

My best friend has been living in Lopez for several years,is a document translator, has helped several people obtain visas, has been given power of attorney and purchased land for me -in my name- in Puerto Lopez, and has multiple connections with people who can handle everything I need... That being said, first hand experience from others who have made the move is always a bonus when your in the planning phase...

It's unclear whether this is a permanent, potentially year-round move to Ecuador...whether you are maintaining your U.S. business...or whether you're still deciding your timelines.

Without us having more clarity, advising about your visa situation would be difficult.

Typically, if you come in on the customary 90-day tourist stamp granted to U.S. citizens on arrival, you can later extend in-country for another 180 days without a problem via a non-immigrant tourist visa.

cccmedia in Quito

I will be maintaining my U.S. Business, but can do so remotely. We are planning to fly down soon and start building the house - extending our tourist visa at that time. (Or possibly shoot up to the embassy in Washington ahead of time and take care of that before we leave, if possible)  Once the house is under way, we would like to apply for residency visas. In either case, at that's time we're going to head back to the states for a little bit for work and further preparations and what not... On our final trip down, to move into the house, is when we were thinking about taking the cruise, if that's even possible.

And again this is less about me applying for a visa as it is about getting into Ecuador via the cruise port in Manta.

You shouldn't have to travel to DC to get a pre-visit visa.  That can probably be arranged through a Sunshine State consulate.

I lived in our nation's capital for a few years.  Built on a swamp.  The British used to compensate their diplomats with hardship pay because it was so hot and steamy in the summertime.

cccmedia in Quito

TerrazzoGuy wrote:

Once the house is under way, we would like to apply for residency visas.

Keep in mind that your property does not qualify you and the family for residency visas.  As I recall, you bought the lot for 5K.  That is 20K less than the municipally-assigned value necessary for using the investment for a residency visa application.

You can deposit 25K in an Ecuador certificate of deposit to qualify for residence.  Some day when the house is completed, you could have it re-assessed for over 25K and then switch to the real estate visa.  At that point, you could cash out the CD. 

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:
TerrazzoGuy wrote:

Once the house is under way, we would like to apply for residency visas.

Keep in mind that your property does not qualify you and the family for residency visas.  As I recall, you bought the lot for 5K.  That is 20K less than the municipally-assigned value necessary for using the investment for a residency visa application.

You can deposit 25K in an Ecuador certificate of deposit to qualify for residence.  Some day when the house is completed, you could have it re-assessed for over 25K and then switch to the real estate visa.  At that point, you could cash out the CD. 

cccmedia in Quito

Technically yes....however, it helps to know someone in the municipality...  ;) And also (and this is anecdotal evidence based solely on what ive witnessed in that particular municipality) once you've got your slab in and they see that you know what your doing and the project is underway, you can have someone from the municipality come out and reassess the value of your property...this is where a little "contribution" can go a long way...

We did a similar move 3 months ago.  What worked for us, was to complete the cruise from San Diego to Lima, Peru then we took a few days to tour Lima before taking the bus to Guayaquil, Ecuador.  We then took a couple days in Guayaquil before bussing to Cuenca.

We were carrying two large suitcases, two smaller suitcases, and two large backpacks.  The bus tickets from Lima to Guayaquil were $103 dollars each, and we did have to pay for extra luggage ($100) on the bus.  As the bus was an overnight run (recommended due to north coast of Peru being bland), we experienced no hassles with the luggage.  The border crossing wasn't difficult, but one should keep mosquito repellent handy, because you have to wait outside mostly till the whole bus has been processed.  Our passports were stamped for the initial 90 day visa, and our luggage wasn't questioned.

The bad was that this is a 30 hour bus trip, with meal stops and seats that recline well, but still 31 hours.

Overall, we were happy we came to Ecuador this way, and will be cruising again soon.

Phase3Adventures wrote:

We were carrying two large suitcases, two smaller suitcases, and two large backpacks.  The bus tickets from Lima to Guayaquil were $103 dollars each, and we did have to pay for extra luggage ($100) on the bus.  As the bus was an overnight run (recommended due to north coast of Peru being bland), we experienced no hassles with the luggage.  The border crossing wasn't difficult, but one should keep mosquito repellent handy, because you have to wait outside mostly till the whole bus has been processed.  Our passports were stamped for the initial 90 day visa, and our luggage wasn't questioned.

The bad was that this is a 30 hour bus trip, with meal stops and seats that recline well, but still 31 hours.

Overall, we were happy we came to Ecuador this way, and will be cruising again soon.

Sweet that this bus journey worked for you, Phase 3. :)

But 31 hours with the required all-night travel!  (The latter is not recommended in Ecuador, especially in border areas.) 

I used to fly from New York to Bangkok in less time.  And that was on major airlines, not on a South American bus.

There are less taxing ways for Expats to get from Lima to almost anywhere in Ecuador...without this kind of bag-schlepping...double-the-fee for extra baggage... mosquito exposure... and trying to get a decent night's sleep on a bus.

Doesn't seem like the "bland" scenery would make it any the more worthwhile.  Also, going way up to Guayaquil and then down and back to Cuenca is nowhere near a direct route.

cccmedia in Quito

The bus route we took, using a International Direct bus service was the quickest route from Lima, arriving in Guayaquil.  This was an express bus, with no stops to pick up passengers in route.  If researched, I am certain one will not find a faster way by bus to get from Lima to Cuenca.  And as to the night travel, it makes the trip faster with less traffic, along with the border crossing being now quite efficient with the combined processing building between Peru and Ecuador.  I do recommend booking ahead of time and making sure the bus is the Express Scheduled run.