Moving to Spain

Molly here, looking to move to Spain with my husband, we would be happy to hear from anyone who has private health insurance or has knowledge of which ones may be the best. Thanks to this site we have a lot of other useful info :)

I assume you are under retirement age.  If so I will let others help.  If you are from outside the EU you are best looking up the info on the web.   

If you are already retired in the UK, or the EU when you register as resident, you can apply for a targeta sanitaria which provides free healthcare.  Once you are here you can find a local gestor if you don't want to apply yourself.  Until then use your EHIC as long it has not expired.  One tip.  If you do want to apply for a tarjeta sanitaria, contact the uk social services now and ask for an S form (sorry cant remember the number right now).  It will give a statement of your current pension income, to prove you are receiving a uk pension.  It can take a while to get it so the sooner the better. And you will need to get it translated to Castillian,

One thought.  If you took early retirement I do not know if it will affect the age you can get the targeta sanitaria.  Someone else may know this.  It may depend on whether it is was on health grounds.

Thank you campogirl, that is really helpful info! we are retired so it is great news it may be free, I wonder if we would benefit at all from a supplemental health insurance. We are currently living in the usa and we have soc. sec but also have to pay a supplemental ins. That's the usa for you I guess :)

You are in the US, but are you UK citizens with UK pension.  If so what I said goes.  If you are American, sorry I don't know the drill.

Remember you will need further advice if you took early retirement, but if you are over state pension age you will definitely get free treatment.  And I have found our local hospital very good.  May pay depending where you end up, to try to find a local gp who speaks some English unless you have reasonable Spanish.

as a british resident we dont need private health insurance but my son who lives nearby does he pays for himself  and my daughter in law around 1,200 euros per annum,which seems to cover them .

Thank you for your reply, very helpful

Thank you, all very helpful. very much appreciate it.

Hello, Molly. I had Sanitas Health Insurance coverage when I was in Málaga during the summer of 2011. The price will vary with age, year, etc. so no sense in me looking up something that is obsolete and meaningless. BTW, I never had to use it.

I'm 10 months into my 1-year tourist visa and have 100% coverage from HCC Atlas. Sanitas was slow to respond; I don't think they want people over 65. HCC's price is lower than what I am paying for the 20% Part B coverage that the US Social Security system does not cover. ALSO, I had to continue paying a little over $100 / month for that US coverage in case I had to get whisked back for treatment. Yea. Spain is ranked 7th by the World Health Organization; the US, 37th.

I almost had to use my HCC insurance here in Spain and they were prepared to pay 100% of the charges. Luckily, it was a false alarm and I didn't need to use my insurance here.

Ronin;  what are the steps for obtaining the 1 year tourist visa?  Thanks in advance for your response.

Hola, David. Uf, it took me 5 months to get permission just to come to Spain to spend money. LOL I have a Temporary Resident Visa(do); I'm Not Authorized to Work. Here are ALL the steps:: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwkoo … nRaMnJLYlE
AND some supporting documents:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … sp=sharing
Enjoy! -- Ron

In my experience DKV is one of the best with one of largest networks, evenin more remote places. They also just signed up some academic clinics which most cannot offer. They also have an excellent reputation among patients.

If you have a serious pre-existing condition things will be though here. Impossible to get approved by any underwriter here then. And without insurance you cannot stay here. Alternately you could then sign up as an independent worker, an autonomo, and get state insurance by paying the minimum tax for that here, but it is of course not of great quality and then one gets involved in all kinds of taxation issues, which also require hiring a local accountant. Try to avoid that.

Here in Galicia my experience is that there is no competitiveness between health care providers, so they really do not run for you as a customer. Not sure if that is different in other areas. Drugs are relatively expensive here and heavily regulated. Try buy online instead if you can from reliable online pharmacies.

I discovered that it is of no use to try ask quotes from agents of insurers here, since the information of which clinics they cover is not always up to date or easily available. Instead I now chose clinics and doctors I would like to have as my providers and inquired with them which insurer networks they are in. From those lists I sought a common denominator that I could ask a quote from.

Hi dear.I personally have ASISA insurance,which is private one and cover all types of expenses,the surgeries not include! I pay 50euros monthly & pretty satisfied with it.hope to be useful to you dear friend.regards

Hola Ron Como estas,
My name is Walter lived in Anaheim Hills, CA for almost 30 years and since 2011 I am living in Sydney Australia.
I am retired collecting my SS.
For the last 3 months my plan is to live in spain, Malaga for sure moving this September, I have been in Barcelona and Madrid twice last time in Barca last year.
The reason for moving in September is waiting for my Colombian wife to get Australian citizenship hope this August.
Here we go:
I am going with AUS Passport live in Malaga probably Torremolinos or Centro of Malaga, By the end of the first month I should be able to find out if I like spain or not but Since I been in South America and almost all the islands in and around Indonesia so the only countries for my retirement is California, Australia or Spain I choose Spain, because I speak the language, very, very cheap to live, safe and the food.
Questions:
1.- Good area to live in Malaga EU 500 to EU700 place, No car just a push bike and a good weather
2: Do you think that I can get an extension like to one year or get the pensionista visa while staying in Spain?

Your thoughts

Saludos

Walter

we purchased through DKV in our town at the Zurich insurance office.  We have an entire post just on expat medical insurance on Wagoners Abroad.   You can access via the home page.

Ronin, there isn't really a 1 year tourist visa.   you can obtain various visas for long-term depending on which you qualify for.  We help with the retirement or non lucrative visa.  both mean you aren't working in Spain and it is for non EU citizens.  there are also student, working and family heritage visas.

Hola, Walter. Málaga is a great choice. Here's my experience when I was there (it may come up backwards): http://roninaustintx.blogspot.com.es/
As to your questions: 1) I had a great time in the historic district (Calle Larios). There was always something going on. Your rent range should be okay. It's always better with more money, isn't it? 2) My understanding is that one cannot get a (>90 day) visa(do) while in Spain. Landing there without a "visa" gets your passport stamped with what amounts to a 90 visa. After that, one must reside outside the Schengen area for 90 days before getting another airport (90 day) visa.

Hi, new to this blog. We're contemplating an extended period in Spain when my husband retires. I'm looking for up to date info on visas, taxes, health insurance and income requirements. Also 'heritage' visas? My husband is Hispanic and was born in Texas. We would appreciate all the information we can get. There seems to be lots of disparity out there. Thank you :)

We have some information on visa and health insurance. mainly the retirment visa or the non lucractive visa.  If you have savings or investments, those may be a good option for you too.  When do you plan to arrive in Spain and what area?

Hi, Seawych. I'm not sure how to present this, so I'll just go for it. I, too, thought I was Hispanic, or at least a hyphenated-American. Nope, I'm an American. The Spanish I spoke before I spent a year in Spain was crap. It's not even Mexican Spanish; they speak it well. I've been attending classes since I got here. Anyway, if your passport says your an American, that's what you are. Don't let anybody make you (or your husband) feel not worthy of being 100% American. The other side of that coin is that it is going to be tough to claim to be Spanish, even though most "Hispanics" are to a great extent. Point number 2, Spaniards never shut up! I can only practice speaking Castilian Spanish with foreigners. It's amazing. Watch the local TV shows, up to 4 people can be talking at once!

Good luck with your adventure!

THATS FUNNY RONIN WITH REGARDS TO OVER TALKATIVE SPANARDS WHEN I WAS IN TEXAs .lake jackson area ,freeport houston san antonio ect i couldnt get one sensible word out of anybody  funny i guess thats life

IF all goes according to plan, lol, and what does, then a trip hopefully will take place either in late 2016 or early 2017. We already have a son in Norway who is married and having immigration issues of his own! Because they have a child, it would be nice to be closer and watch him grow up, as well as just plain relaxing. I'm thinking a trip over just to try and get a feel of the place is a good idea.

My husband's primary language was Spanish, he had to learn English growing up, so for him that is a plus. My Spanish is pretty rough, lol. I've learned in spending time with his family that total immersion is the best way. This will be a new and scary chapter for both of us, so I'm trying to put myself in the 'why not' frame of mind :)

@linedancer: "Yep, I reckon I'll mosey on down yonder and have myself a brew." (Texas English) "Órale, vato, wátchate o te pataleo el tanque." (Texas Spanish [Calo]).   
@Seawch: Go for it! It's safe and lots of fun being in Spain. There is always something to do. Just get out there and let it happen.

Thanks! I'll take all the encouragement I can get  :idontagree:

That is a great idea to come over for a scoping trip and make sure it suits you.  Many parts of Spain feel very similar to California, Nevada and other parts of the southwest.  Of course northern Spain is a bit familiar too.  It is a wonderful place.  I am not sure about the heritage visa, but do look into the retirement on non lucrative.  It isn't that they are difficult to obtain, but it is time consuming to gather all of the correct paperwork and of course you need to meet the requirements.  Mainly finances and health insurance, which is very affordable in Spain.  We are a family of 4 and it is only 1400 euros a year for full coverage for us all.  I think it would be just about that for a month in the USA.  good luck to you and look us up if you have visa questions.

Que Hubo Ron,
This geeting if you are in Medellin

I was very impressed of your experience in Malaga but particular in Ecuador your were probably a professor or writer the way you put together very easy to follow and understand. I am an engineer and i alway have problems communicating in spanish and English so when I going to deal with spaniards I will try to tell them that hablo poquito espanol same for the anglo-saxons thus habla espanol you're in Spain, my goal is to meet spanish people so can be friends and have cenas at 1am in the morning and bla bla bla  for hours! play tennis and go to the gym.
I am a ecuadorian native pls. don't tell the spaniards you what they think about the latinos and in particular ecuadorians, by the way I off to Guayaquil and galapagos this Wednesday sydney time for 2-weeks last time in Ecuador was in 1996 for 3 days I could make it longer.
Thx. for the tip on the area in around of the Mercado Central, there is quite a few apartments for Alquilar, I am trying to sign a 3-months lease even if I have to leave early.
I have researched all the areas, internet, Gym, in fact cost of living which is kind of reasonable for my budget.
Ron Thx for your thoughts ii has been very helpful, pls check your email.

Regards
Walter

If you are a non EU citizen, healthcare is not free.   You need to prove you have private insurance.  It is inexpensive in comparison with the USA, but you still need to buy.  We are a family of four and ours is 1400 euros a year.  We know a couple in their 50's and they pay 1000 euros a year.  Not too bad, but you don't automatically get coverage if you are Non EU.

Hi I am thinking  too going to live in Spain  do you some information  on the insurance? ?  IF you have some information  would you please  let me know  know.  Do you know which citi in Spain u are going and why you chose  that Citi?? I can make up my mind

Thank you! Yes, we're concerned about requirements. Some countries even have an age cutoff limit. I'm going to be doing lots of research, but I still think it's the way to go. Hopefully, Spain will not ever go through what Greece has gone through. We have friends in Athens, and things are tough. I was wondering if buying property over there is easy or a nightmare or even worth it for expats. If we decide that we want to stay permanently, is the investment a good idea as we cannot do a home in the states 'and' over there.

The EU wide insurance is no absolute, only for select few in Spain (pensionados) and not great as one really needs private insurance here beyond state one. f you are a non retired EU citizen moving to Spain health care is not free either. After 6 months you then need to have a local insurance, period. After 6 months other Europeans need to register as permanent residents or move out and one of registration requirements is to get insurance. Any other formula means you are living there illegally.

If you have a pre-existing disease it is sheer impossible to get insured here (as opposed to for example the Netherlands where it is possible).

One option to get beyond that may be to take a small local or regional insurer as one of my docs suggested. They are often less demanding. So that means looking at local providers' their networked insurance partners and contact those.

Hola, WagonersAbroad. I went back and read just your emails -- it's easy to get distracted following the intertwined topics. You are right on more than one point. I'm calling it a Tourist Visa but in reality it is a Residencia visado. The visado sticker on my passport just says "Residencia", as does my Permiso de Residencia (I obtained that from the Comisería de Policía once I got here). I can't find where I read Residencia Temporal - No Lucrativa (that title would never sell tickets in Peoria, so I started calling it a Tourist Visa). And, it sounds like you are more up-to-date on the health insurance for non-Eu'ers. Thanks for the input.

WalterY, thanks re: easy to read. A friend suggested that I write a Kindle ebook, which I did and it has actually generated commissions every month so far! I'm no Hemingway or Cervantes though. On the other topic, Spaniards are not too hostile nor too friendly toward Latin Americans. EEUU Americans on the other hand are considered gods! Everybody loves us and everybody envies us. However, if one speaks Spanish then one must be speaking Mexican Spanish. No one has ever accused me of speaking Canadian English though. And, only people that look like Hollywood actors can truly be EEUU Americans. Very interesting, and very complicated.

no problem!  Sorry, but we do a bit of consulting on the matter, so like to help out where I can.  :-)

1) I hav bene a realtor in teh USA, now retired.
2) Buying realty is more hazardous here in Spain as ownership is often not clear and requires a lot of legal research or may never become clear.
3) Realtors are not licensed. Anyone can become one. In Galicia I notice that realtors are not too proactive and value their siesta and days off a lot. An open house here in Galicia is non existent. It is also very hard to fidn realtors who will work in weekends.
4) Getting financing is very hard so bring lots of cash, then they love you.
5) Setting up a bank account is now a pain since recently. It varies per bank and per bank office, Smaller banks are much more helpful. Skip the big ones.
6) If you must by one of many ruins here (with often stunning locations, remaining materials (walls, roofs etc) be sure to be handy to do part of the work yourself or it will cost way too much per m2. For experts in fixer uppers this is heaven. In Galicia alone there are over 1400 complete abandoned villages for sale! Many single fixer start being sold at 15,000 euro or less here in Galicia. Living here is also inexpensive.

THEFT. Last night I visited the bar owned by a young Spanish couple in downtown Madrid, where I used to live until the bath fell apart (rotted walls behind the tiles). She was preparing to open the bar and had left her cell phone on the counter, with the front door open to help the floors dry. A man came in while she as mopping toward the back and asked if the bar was open yet. She replied no and he left -- with her cell phone! I tie everything I can to my belt after a theft in another country, and recommend it to everyone. I don't know if her INSURANCE will compensate her. Maybe Ms. Wagoner can shed some light on this.

Sorry about the Theft.  I wish I could, I am not an insurance consultant.  We just help fellow non EU citizen apply for their resident visas.  Of course the purchase of insurance is part of that process, but I am not sure about each policy.

I had Homeowners/Renters Insurance in the States. It's really cheap -- like $100 per year cheap. That covers theft. I didn't even think of looking for it here in Spain. It's a little late now. I'm leaving in a month. BTW, I've got my Scrabble game and skates up for sale in the Classifieds section here.

Health insurance is a huge rip-off in the US. Pray that private health care doesn't become the norm for all in Spain. It is certainly justifiable to require foreigners to pony up though.

I see an inline promotion for health insurance on this forum. It doesn't say what company it is with nor how much it costs on the first screen. Maybe after filling in the contact information it will show that

great Information  I am planning to go in October to /visit/lease an apartment in nerja and than return July 16 for five months  Would love to talk with you directly if you are back  I am in Dallas.  if not plan on starting process in December  Went to consulate in Houston before know all the routine and they were NO help

dcobb51, I'll be back in Austin in September. I documented my entire experience getting that visa. The link should still be available somewhere earlier in this thread. You can contact me when you're ready. I'm assuming that all Consulates and Embassies are concerned with bringing new money in, protecting their citizens abroad, and issuing visas to foreigners -- in that order. But that is a guess on my part. I have spent somewhere between $20K and $30K here but, if you worked at the Embassy, wouldn't you prefer to hit one big home run (get a big company to move here), rather than score a million base hits (issue temporary resident visas)? Still, I'm glad I got mine. It's been a great year! Good luck with your experience. Post it!

Contact you in September  Agree with you on getting a whole company vs. one off like you and me  but it with one offs it allows them to be employed in the embassies and consular offices.
Have you been to Nerja on Cosat del Sol?