Considering moving to Umhlanga/Balito/Salt Rock

My family and I are considering moving to Umhlanga/Balito/Salt Rock after my wife fell in love with the area.

Although originally from RSA, I have lost touch. You read dreadful stories about crime.

My greatest fear is crime, so just how bad are things in the areas that I mentioned. Is is safe to buy a house or live in a complex. Ideally we would like to live in a house with a sea view.

Other questions (silly as they may seem):
What is the best and safest car to purchase?
Does one live in consent fear of being house raided or worse?
Is it expensive, how much would one need to earn per month?

Thanks in return.

Hi Ian,

Any pointers on moving to Durban? We are thinking of doing so from the U.K.

We read about stabbings and football hooligans rioting in the streets of England.  Do you feel safe there?  Sometimes the media are more concerned with profits than information.

Teachers used to tell us that there are no silly questions.  In my view the best and safest car are two different automobiles.  I have never met anybody who lives in constant fear.  That would be simply intolerable.  Expense is relative.  A house in Umhlanga can easily be far less expensive than in London.  Or far more expensive.

There is indeed crime in South Africa.  It is nowhere as bad as you have been told.

Thanks for the reply MiaCulpa.

I have not lived in SA for over 15 years now, so pretty much not kept in touch.

We are planning to move to Umhlanga so your encouraged blog is welcome. Any other pointers please feel free to blog me.

Many thanks again.

Hi JJg2710,

A new topic has been created with your posts on the Durban forum for more visibility.

Thank you,

Priscilla :)

Hi JJG,

Apologies for not replying any sooner.
I had to return to the UK in June last year (Visa Issues) I am now back in Umhlanga as of June this year. I love the whole way of life here. Got the kids settled in school and they are loving it. Feel free to contact me if you would any advise at all.

Regards

Ian