Anyone from Mazatlan ?

Is there anybody from  Mazatlan?  Thank you.

Do you have a question?

Hi. I will be living in San Luis Potosi working for Berlitz. Berlitz has a school in Mazatlan and I may want to transfer at sometime in the future so I thought I would write. Do you like Mazatlan better than PV? Is Mazatlan less expensive than PV. How would you compare Mazatlan to Chapala or SMA? Are you teaching, working , enjoying a relaxing retirement. How picturesque would you say Mazatlan is compared to other beach cities. Curious to see what you take is on Mazatlan. I think I have lost interest in eventually moving to SMA and Chapala because after 22 years in CA, I like having a ocean. Hope to hear from you Craig the 62 year old Berlitz teacher who misses southern CA.

I am looking to visit there and perhaps move in the near future. I'd like to know about the place itself and, is it safe? Expensive? Since there isn't a direct forum regarding Mazatlan, I thought this would do just fine. On a side note, we're looking for a place that's close to the beach, safe too of course.

Thank you all.

Hi there, I am in the same boat as you. Trying to find out a little bit of information about Mazatlan.
Yes. I'm not sure I clicked on "Reply" under your message, but have asked a few. Thanks a lot.

Maz seems a little pricey from my inquiry's. Lots of expats though  and Rv parks. Lots of gringo publication. Maz atlas today etc  Facebook  not sure about safety   Check state dept website. I think that state is on second level rating  ok in tourist zones only

I would try the Yahoo MazInfo group if you want to talk to people living there
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Maz … s/messages

I think Mazatlan is cheaper than Vallarta and seems more a Mexican town.  It's definitely older

Some Maz fotos from a few years ago low on the page
http://sparks-mexico.com/mex2005/default.htm

Here is my positing from another thread:

After checking out various coastal locations, I settled on Mazatlán.  I've lived here for four years, and am in Centro.  If you want touristy, head to the Gold Zone.  Weather-wise, it is on the border of the mountains/desert and the jungle, which begins southward, so it gets hot a month later than say, Puerto Vallarta.  During the hot summer months, I travel the interior highlands by RV.  There is a sizeable Gringo presence, which, during the tourist season, can reach 10,000, 

As far as the monetary aspects go, my fixed costs are about $450US per month.  I have a spacious unfurnished 2 bedroom apartment 3 blocks from the ocean, which runs $250,  The remainder is composed of the normal utilities plus satellite TV, internet, and off street parking. If I don't go overboard on entertainment, buy expensive imported items, shop at the local markets, and quit buying computer stuff, I can live fairly well on an additional $400 per month.

Moderated by Stéphanie 8 years ago
Reason : no free ads for your website please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hola  Fugawibill   Great photos of your journeys!  I had one question, I have tried the  real estate sites and all rentals appear to be of the fancy expensive places. How  would I locate a smaller affordable rental for 6 months? Bulletin boards ,word of mouth  local newspapers? Would appreciate your advice.  I have stayed in Yucatan several times and it is hot as hades!   Gracias Phil in Ontario

Hola Amigo  Here are some Maz contacts  Mazinfo.com    WhatsupMaz.com  Mazatlan Life.com  and Maz My City   I have not been there but thinking of going. Seemed a bit pricey looking at hotel rates and realtor rentals though.

Anything listed on the web is much more than word of mouth or walking the streets.   Yer not going to rent without seeing a place so it's rather a waste of time.   Check Yahoo/MazInfo or those other sites may have message boards

You can check out the Mazatlán newspapers Noroeste and El 'Sol.  There also is an English monthly paper The Pacific Pearl.  If interested in the Centro area, you'll have to walk the streets to find something you'd like.  There are several bed & breakfasts in the area, or two inexpensive hotels oceanside. where some live year around.